Joy Division

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Joy Division

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:27 am

They were the Chuckle Bros apparently.

‘Joy Division weren’t cold. They were down-to-earth and funny’
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ugust-1979
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Joy Division

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 pm

A great band but no better than the Bunnymen who were good friends of JD.

Listened to E&tB again recently. The lyrics were poor - not a patch on JD.

A moot point, but the guitar was special.

I prefer Joy Division too but I disagree with you on the Bunnymen's lyrics. I find them quite interesting. I don't know what half of them are about, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I read somewhere many years ago that decades was written about echo and the bunnymen,probably a load of bollocks but you never know.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 am

Went to the Ture Faith exhibition in manchester last week - dragged the yougest daughter there since there was no fooling her that I dropped into Manchester just visit her in her new student flat. Whilst this was supposed to be an exhibition about the influence (or something) if JD abd NO (as we call them) on art and stuff manchesterwise, it was a bit disappointing. Apart from a few artefacts (and there were just a few) it could have been cobbled together from any 70s 80s miserablist students belongings left to catch dust in their parents attic whn they went off to find a proper job (before gap years were de riguer, natch). Obviosuly that would have been helped if they had a couple of printers that could do ten foot high versions of the pictures of Curtis doing his pr-epileptic fit dance - which was kind of impressive even a difficult to please old git like me would have to admit. Also a massive version of that picture in the article mentioned here.

As for the other 'art' it was a might be expected, black and yellow industrial welding malarky (some people get paid to write this stuff you know, I do it for free here), and some tailors dummy/dementor type stuff in parkas with names of New Order songs or albums painted on the back - there was probably more interesting stuff at my step-daughters graduation show last year - though to be fair, a load of shite there too).

Of the actual original things - the FAC1 poster for the original Factory night, Rob Gretton's notebook (a page on how everything ought to be its own art statement so not just a gig/album/tour etc. All in v neat girly writing - as was Curtis's original scrawling of LWTUA lyrics.

Daughter seemed to think the little room with the videos on a huge telly was the best bit, but then she seemed to enjoy the other room with an 'experimental' film on rotation too (maybe she'd add enough by then). Speaking of which, obviously the word 'experimental' in conjunction with the word 'film' ought to send one running to the hills, and this didn't disappoint inthat respect - alot of grainy 70s scenes (including 'Erics in the 'pool, dirty streets with youths (footy fans rampaging etc), trains, bits of motorway, all against a soundtrack of Sergentian bleeps, whirring and farty noises.

Oh and the only other buns reference was the poster for the Factoryt meets Zoo gig.

Anyways. To address the suggestion, above, there was little sense of knockabout laughter and general clowning. Apart from this video of course:

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks for the review, FC.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:06 pm

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 am

Kounelaki wrote:Thanks for the review, FC.

I got to see it last year, and remembered an earlier Peter Saville exhibition at the Urbis in Manchester probably mid noughties. Was all the JD & NO stuff along with OMD and a few Roxy artwork
TenNewPence

Postby black francis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 pm

FC's review should qualify as an art exhibit.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 am

:biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm

black francis wrote:FC's review should qualify as an art exhibit.

What, pointless, pretentious and over-rated? :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:
black francis wrote:FC's review should qualify as an art exhibit.

What, pointless, pretentious and over-rated? :wink:

Not really FC, I love you really!
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

No offence taken - been around these parts too long for that. Oh dear, getting all sentimental, blub
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 am

Pull yourself together man, stiff upper lip and all that , we're British don't y'know!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 pm

S'OK, given myself a sound thrashing, and now I'm fine. Was looking for some comedic youtube clip but only found some film from 1998 with pronella scales tightening some young filly's corset up (and peter ustinov on a train)
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 am

fat cherry wrote: pronella scales tightening some young filly's corset up (and peter ustinov on a train)

Have I just entered a parallel universe?
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Gods Will Be Gods