Sisters of Mercy, Liverpool Olympia

We know there is more to life than the music of the Bunnymen. Talk about those other bands here.

Sisters of Mercy, Liverpool Olympia

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 am

Went to see the Sisters of Mercy at the Olympia last night and they were fantastic. Never seen them live before and expected something a bit more goth but they were much harder than I expected, great noise. Eldrich reminded me of Klaus Kinski's Norferatu, he's got some charisma about him. It's a great venue but still as cold as when the Bunnymen played there.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Sisters of Mercy, Liverpool Olympia

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote: Eldrich reminded me of Klaus Kinski's Norferatu,

Is he any relation to Nosferatu?
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote: Eldrich reminded me of Klaus Kinski's Norferatu,

Is he any relation to Nosferatu?

He's his northern cousin.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 am

I remember being a bit disappointed hearing eldritch being interviewed and he's got this little squeaky voice. Bought one of the updated albums mainly because it had their version of emmeline on it.

Are they basically Eldritch plus boys in the band these days? Also, did you bump into Dave Smith? He'll have been disappointed to miss that. Dave? Dave? Are you there Dave?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:53 pm

fat cherry wrote:I remember being a bit disappointed hearing eldritch being interviewed and he's got this little squeaky voice. Bought one of the updated albums mainly because it had their version of emmeline on it.

Are they basically Eldritch plus boys in the band these days? Also, did you bump into Dave Smith? He'll have been disappointed to miss that. Dave? Dave? Are you there Dave?

No, didn't bump into anyone, nearly bumped the car trying to get a bloody place to park though. I though Eldritch's voice sounded good, though I have to say there was an instrumental that I hadn't heard before which sounded fantastic, turns out it was 'Jihad' off the Sisterhood album (there's a video of it from the Olympia on YouTubes), thought it sounded pretty 'clubby'?
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 am

trouble is doing searches for 'jihad' or 'jihad at wemberly' can get you into trouble these days :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:45 am

I saw them back around 1999 or so and they were fantastic. Andrew Eldritch came out and said "we're the Sisters of Mercy and we're a rock and roll band". They did rock out despite the goths best attempts to interpretive goth dance.

I'm probably in the minority but Vision Thing is my favorite album by them.

Allegedly a Trump win is enough reason for Eldritch to write a new album so long live Trump! Already making America great.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:34 am

black francis wrote:I saw them back around 1999 or so and they were fantastic. Andrew Eldritch came out and said "we're the Sisters of Mercy and we're a rock and roll band". They did rock out despite the goths best attempts to interpretive goth dance.

I'm probably in the minority but Vision Thing is my favorite album by them.

Allegedly a Trump win is enough reason for Eldritch to write a new album so long live Trump! Already making America great.

They were great BF, Vision Thing is my favourite album as well, though there are some great tracks on Floodland as well(though This Corrosion was played to death over here when it was released, so it's still lost some of it's lustre for me). The Olympia is a really great venue for bands like the Sisters of Mercy, Bunnymen.
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 am

I noticed Eldritch has really gone out of his way to let it be known they are not and never were a goth band on stage and interviews. I think it's the other band members. When Husney and the rest left to form the Mission UK they took that sound with them. Anyone like the Mission? I never did and had a good laugh when they played on the Joan Rivers show.

With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dr Cheese » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 am

I always thought The Mission were a bit silly but I used to like them back in the day, I've not listened to them for years mind. Tower of Strength is an epic song.
Every time you call
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 am

The missus claims to still like them but I bought her some video collection thingy years ago and she's yet to watch it. Ingrate.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:37 am

Ive got that first album by the mish, havent played for years. Liked it back in the day, as you americans say on the telly, i still believe in god, but god no longer believes in me, and all that. They seemed to want to be a 70s rawk band but were pissed off by being a decade out. Was tempted to get tickets for the whitby goth weekend where they headlined last november but other things got in the way, not to mention heaven 17 being the other headliner seemed like the organisers were a bit desperate, and i suddenly thought, cherry old chap, whitby goth weekend, have a word with yourself.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 am

black francis wrote:The missus claims to still like them but I bought her some video collection thingy years ago and she's yet to watch it. Ingrate.

Bought step daughters boyfriend (who seems to be a stayer) a collection of old films for christmas last year (2015 that is). Anyways they've gone off travelling (with two Ls), as young people do when they dont want to get a job) and left all their stuff at our house. Was up in the loft a few weeks ago moving stuff around and noticed said dvd collection sitting atop a pile of their stuff, cellophane in tact. So i thought id wrap it up next christmas and give it to him again. What do you say? Itl'l test his sense of humour as well as his memory i suppose.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 am

fat cherry wrote: i suddenly thought, cherry old chap, whitby goth weekend, have a word with yourself.

We have a long weekend in Whitby twice a year but I always make sure we avoid the goth weekend! :rolleyes:
Every time you call
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:07 am

fat cherry wrote:Was up in the loft a few weeks ago moving stuff around and noticed said dvd collection sitting atop a pile of their stuff, cellophane in tact. So i thought id wrap it up next christmas and give it to him again. What do you say? Itl'l test his sense of humour as well as his memory i suppose.

I'd say it's your duty to give it to him again as a new present.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Return to Gods Will Be Gods