Is VT really that much more active than bunnymenforum.com

Have a question about the website or a suggestion? Found a typo? Something not working right on the forum?

Is VT really that much more active than bunnymenforum.com

Postby JackT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 am

I was curious about how well VT was doing traffic-wise, relative to the official forum. I was a little surprised. The two forums list the following as total posts:

VT:12,673
bunnymen.com: 19,960

From those raw numbers, it looks like the official forum has more activity, but the bunnymen.com totals go back way before the VT forum opened.

Since I don't have access to actual traffic data, I decided to estimate the activity since Oct 1, 2007 on bunnymenforum.com by using the TOP 5 posters to represent the statistics. For the top 5 bunnymenforum.com posters, the percentage of total posts that have occurred since Oct 1, 2007 is about 30%.

So, I estimate that bunnymenforum.com has had about 6,000 posts in the time VT has been open.

If this is true, VT has had about double the activity of the official forum. For people who frequent both forums (or fora, if you prefer) does this jibe with your observations?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 am

I think the Official Forum's traffic took a big hit when the forum was shut down last fall. Up until that point, there seemed to be a steady amount of topical postings. But after it was reopened, many of the long-term posters didn't return. Instead a few new folks showed up and monopolized the postings with mostly dribble. Now not much of substance is posted over there. Is that due to the posters themselves or the stringent rules in place, I'm not sure.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby blinkilite » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:38 am

that's interesting... i think we just have more fun over here cuz we can talk about things besides the bunnymen (like LOST or Nintendo Wii). I don't dislike the other forum, I just find I post more over here, and it seems like we have more of a "community".

Maybe I just like the "dark side" better Image

so thanks mr. brian :)
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:39 am

Interesting. To be fair, we have our share of drivel here as well. (For much of which I am directly responsible.)
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 am

I will never consider mother jokes drivel.

I think this forum is more active but it is definitely missing that special something. Namely threads titled "Happy Bunnyday Mac".
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 am

I was paying homage to Dale Dribble. At least I think that's how you spell his name. :wink: :lol:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby JackT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 am

Fish Hook Girl wrote:I was paying homage to Dale Dribble. At least I think that's how you spell his name. :wink: :lol:

Close. You see, this is exactly the kind of stuff you can't get over at the official forum.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Is Dale Dribble any relation to Duane Dibley?
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:40 pm

"But Sir,that would mean changing the bulb".Brilliant.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Is VT really that much more active than bunnymenforum.co

Postby tonywojo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:06 pm

JackT wrote:I was curious about how well VT was doing traffic-wise, relative to the official forum. I was a little surprised. The two forums list the following as total posts:

VT:12,673
bunnymen.com: 19,960

From those raw numbers, it looks like the official forum has more activity, but the bunnymen.com totals go back way before the VT forum opened.

Since I don't have access to actual traffic data, I decided to estimate the activity since Oct 1, 2007 on bunnymenforum.com by using the TOP 5 posters to represent the statistics. For the top 5 bunnymenforum.com posters, the percentage of total posts that have occurred since Oct 1, 2007 is about 30%.

So, I estimate that bunnymenforum.com has had about 6,000 posts in the time VT has been open.

If this is true, VT has had about double the activity of the official forum. For people who frequent both forums (or fora, if you prefer) does this jibe with your observations?

Jack Ill have to check those stats out - it is more fun over here - no doubt.

It is just a love in on the other site. And as Ive met more cyber friends Ive realised that there is more to life than the bunnys, like just having a hobby and having friends on the same wavelength.
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:I was paying homage to Dale Dribble. At least I think that's how you spell his name. :wink: :lol:

I often dribble then I have to put my spare work jumper on (12 hour shifts) ior change me keks!
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I often dribble then I have to put my spare work jumper on (12 hour shifts) ior change me keks!
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:28 pm

tonywojo wrote:I often dribble then I have to put my spare work jumper on (12 hour shifts) ior change me keks!

too much information. :eek:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby tonywojo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:too much information. :eek:

sorry - just being honest - to a t.

us old men are like that now.
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:52 am

Here is my observation since you asked. I did some checking because I was curious too.

You don't have to sign up to read VT. You do to just read the official forum. That right there inflates the member count for the official forum.

The official forum shows on the main forum page:
We have 1,699 members, 1,528 topics, 19,981 posts. I can't speak for anything beyond that.
However, the official forum in it's present incarnation started August 10 of 2006 (667 days ago) if you look at the member list "joined" date. That's about 30 posts per day since then.

This forum shows:
Our members have posted a total of 12,764 articles(posts) and 703 topics. There are 154 members. We have had 55 posts per day since October 18 2007 (233 days ago) according to my stats page.

Based on that alone I would say that JackT is correct that this forum has roughly double the participation rate as the official forum.

Some more tidbits after I got to thinking...

According to my member list there are 30 members (out of 154) here with over 50 posts each. That means about 20% of the total members are what I would consider active posters here. Of those 154 members, over 100 have posted at least once. So that a pretty good participation rate. For some odd reason about 50 people signed up but never posted. There really is no benefit to signing up here unless you want to post.

When I looked at the official forum member list and sorted it, I see roughly 60 members (out of 1,699) with over 50 posts. That means under 4% of the members on the official forum are what I consider active posters.

I really never expected this forum to stay active for more than a month or two. It was started to provide an alternative to the frequent crashing and restrictive rules of the official forum.

Yes there are lots of bullshit posts here. There are on all forums. It's not just for Bunnymen talk. It's a place for people with a common interest to talk about anything.

I looked at my other stats:

The most active forum section is the "Echo and the Bunnymen" section by a nose over "Over The Wall"

Of the most "active" topics, ones with the most replies, 6 out of 10 are Bunnymen topics

The top 3 most viewed topics are all Bunnymen topics.

Thanks again everyone for making this a great forum.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to All I Want