Nothing Last Forever...the future of this website

Have a question about the website or a suggestion? Found a typo? Something not working right on the forum?

Nothing Last Forever...the future of this website

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

This website was started in August 2005 as mainly a Discography site for the Bunnymen. I felt the official website at the time was missing this feature. The forum went live in October 2007 after the umteenth official forum crash and overall disapproval of posting any criticism there. With social media, forums like this are a dying breed and it's no secret that this forum in particular has declined in usage over the last several years. There isn't even an official forum anymore, folks have moved onto Facebook. Also Discogs.com has a really good community based discography that covers the Bunnymen well. Wikipedia is also good at covering the bands discography. I haven't even bothered adding recent releases.
My cost is minimal for the domain name itself. I just got my renewal notice which got me thinking about this again. I used to have a decent web hosting business but I only have one paying customer now. That sort of breaks things even for me as far as hosting goes. Although there is no indication that my one paying customer is going leave, if they do, I can't justify keeping this going and that will force the end. I also sometimes wish I had that hosting money in my pocket instead.

10 years is a good run. I feel like this website and forum has outlived it's usefulness and gets minimal participation these days. Nothing lasts forever. I'd like to go out on my own terms but I'm reluctant to pull the plug.
What should I do?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nothing Last Forever...the future of this website

Postby In The Margins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

For what it's worth, I would never post anything on their FB page (or even go there), while I do pop up here once in a while with something most likely derogatory (which would never fly on an official site).

So, if you were to discontinue this MEGA, FABULOUS site, there would be a few (or less) of us left with no Bunnymen interaction at all. [Now's the time to cue "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who.]

Can you do a gofundme page (or whatever the youngun's do) to get money to help you continue what appears to be a dying breed? The last of its kind?

And what would happen to the The Obligatory Contented of Hove Thread? The Obligatory Depeche Mode thread? the footy thread????? EGADS Man! Think of that! Weigh your options carefully!

Seriously, whatever you decide Mr. Brian, it was a pleasure. Thank you, sir.
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Well as far as GoFundMe...I've had some generous people over the years send me money via the PayPal link at the bottom of this page. I am not making this up, but someone sent me $100 once. I won't say who. I contacted them to make sure they didn't mean $10. That was very nice. But the issue here isn't entirely about money. Not yet anyway. I feel like I'm propping up a corpse here and my heart just isn't in it and hasn't been for a long time.
10 years is a nice round number. Just sayin...
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zoouncaged » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:00 am

zoouncaged

Postby crystal daze » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:50 am

Without wanting to sound too dodgy New Agey, I guess you've got to do what's right for you.
Even though I don't post much, I do drop in often, and it would be a shame to see it go. I'd miss the old place, and the old codgers that hang out here. And as ITM said, what would happen to the Obligatory Contented of Hove Thread?
Although EATB are passed their heyday there is a lot of affection for them and their passed glories, and every now and then they still treat us to another little dazzling glimpse ... and I guess I could say the same for this place.
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 am

I have to say, I'd really miss this place. It's more Bunnymen than the Bunnymen these days. It's witty, it's clever, it's often off the bloody wall and there's some great stuff to read on a regular basis (and some shite :biggrin: ). But it's not for us to say is it boss, do you need contributions to keep it sailing or is there any other way we can help? If you decided to decommission the old girl, would a relocation to a closed Facebook group be an idea, or is that equally time-consuming? It would be nice to have somewhere to shoot the proverbial shit with you lot if the good ship VT was put out of service. Whatever you decide, it's been a lovely trip and you've been a great skipper. Thank you.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Mr. Brian is full of shit. He's gotten extremely wealthy from this site and flaunts his wealth all over facebook. He owes it to us to keep the forum going.

If for some reason Mr. Brian decides to be a dick about things is everyone on Facebook? Maybe we could start a Villiers Terrace group an block Mr. Brian?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:35 pm

black francis wrote:Mr. Brian is full of shit. He's gotten extremely wealthy from this site and flaunts his wealth all over facebook. He owes it to us to keep the forum going.

If for some reason Mr. Brian decides to be a dick about things is everyone on Facebook? Maybe we could start a Villiers Terrace group an block Mr. Brian?

If there was such a group would we be subjected to half naked pictures of Thomas Muster every time you liked one on Facebook? :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 am

Had a blast around here and if its time to say byeeee, then so be it que sera sera etc. My younger and more cynical self would say the writing was on the wall when I realised the longest thread for ages is us playing word games - but now I'm older and wiser, so bollocks to that. Could it be archived? I've got a bit of hosting that sheer laziness has meant I've not done much with. As for FB groups, I waste enough time reading crap my old mates write (my own posts are always brilliant, charming and witty, obviously) - or would I have to create a secret alias so my clark kent can carry on putting up pictures of my dogs? Who knows. I feel a sentimental list of songs about you know, love and loss coming on. Now, where's my stiff upper lip?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Happy Death Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Be sad to see this go but can fully understand any decision made my Mr. Brian regarding calling it a day. The riddle thing is a bit of light-hearted fun, but it sort of sums up the chronic lack of interest in perhaps more 'serious' bunnymen matters.
Happy Death Man

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:51 pm

I was still debating letting the domain renewal lapse at the end of August but it was set to auto renew and I got that e-mail today. So this site is safe for a while.
If my lone customer decides not to renew their hosting with me at the end of the year, that will seal the fate for sure.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:
black francis wrote:Mr. Brian is full of shit. He's gotten extremely wealthy from this site and flaunts his wealth all over facebook. He owes it to us to keep the forum going.

If there was such a group would we be subjected to half naked pictures of Thomas Muster every time you liked one on Facebook? :lol:

He's gotten fat again so I'm not liking much these days.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 am

I'm warning you right now Mr. Brian don't give me an excuse to post this all over the forum!

And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:56 am

I swear to God if I come to this site and it's missing I will run amok butt naked with a meat cleaver and kill people. But do what you will Mr. Brian. Don't mind me. I'm sure society won't blame you for my crimes.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 am

I've not been able to access the forum for a couple of days so I've been scouring the US news sites for any naked meat cleaver atrocities!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to All I Want