WTF?

Have a question about the website or a suggestion? Found a typo? Something not working right on the forum?

WTF?

Postby bluegrace » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Was logging in to the terrace as usual, or so I thought. When I clicked "Forum" on the site I was suddenly redirected to a completely other site, turns out it was something about "adult friends" with a pic of a halfnaked woman on it. Aaargh!
bluegrace

Re: WTF?

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:15 pm

bluegrace wrote:Was logging in to the terrace as usual, or so I thought. When I clicked "Forum" on the site I was suddenly redirected to a completely other site, turns out it was something about "adult friends" with a pic of a halfnaked woman on it. Aaargh!

Me too, won't be on here Wednesday between 7-9pm, :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby the ghost of guitarplayer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:09 pm

bluegrace wrote:Was logging in to the terrace as usual, or so I thought. When I clicked "Forum" on the site I was suddenly redirected to a completely other site, turns out it was something about "adult friends" with a pic of a halfnaked woman on it. Aaargh!

I got that too as well too. Thought it might have been a hidden "bonus" track to push the new Ian McCulloch And The Hiredhands album. Sex sells and all that.
the ghost of guitarplayer
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Would have made a better cover for the new album.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm not sure how this would happen. Am I reading correctly that more than one person went to VT.com, clicked on Forum and was redirected to an adult site?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crystal daze » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:23 am

Yes. Just happened to me too!
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:36 am

It's working ok for me.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 am

Can anyone that is having this problem PM me with details of what you are seeing?

I need the steps you are following (do you go directly to forum.villioersterrace.com, or do you go to villiersterrace.com and then click on Forum).
How you are getting past it to the Forum.
The web address of the site you are being redirected to (don't post it here please). Please indicate the country your ISP is in or where you live.

My initial though is that there is a DNS problem with the way traffic is being routed since it only affects some users. Hopefully the forum software I use, which is way out of date, hasn't been hacked. If that's the case I would need to upgrade but if that were the case i would think everyone would be seeing this issue.

Thanks!
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 am

I just had it happen and got what I needed to report this to my hosting company.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 am

Just a heads up. The issue seems very random but I certainly don't want people being redirected to adult websites from here, that wouldn't be good if you were at work or something.
I submitted the issue to my hosting company. I haven't heard back yet but I did some Google work. It may very well turn out to be a security flaw with this forum software which is in dire need of an update. Sometimes those upgrades go poorly so I never bothered. If that turns out to be the case (they may force me to go offline and upgrade deeming it a security issue on their server), I will attempt this but if it goes poorly or turns out to be a lot of trouble I may decide to just end the forum there.
We'll see what they say.
Last edited by Mr. Brian on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:59 am

As I suspected the old forum software was exploited. I went ahead and did the upgrade and it went pretty smoothly. I will likely be tweaking things here and there. let me know if you see any other issues or maybe a feature that was installed that is now missing.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Cheers boss, it popped up for me early this afternoon, i'd clicked on the Footie Thread and was faced with two red nipples but not the two red nipples I was expecting on the Footie Thread. :wink:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:Cheers boss, it popped up for me early this afternoon, i'd clicked on the Footie Thread and was faced with two red nipples but not the two red nipples I was expecting on the Footie Thread. :wink:

yeah, it seems that the problem followed to the new software but I had to be on a current version. I still have this issue open with my hosting company.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks for doing the upgrade, Mr. Brian. :biggrin:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Please let me know if this happens to anyone again. On the plus side at least I am up to date. I should have updated a while ago but I was chicken. There are a lot of cool new mods and add ons for the new software such as a Facebook styled "like" button people have asked about which is great when you just want to acknowledge a post without replying.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to All I Want