Found a typo

Have a question about the website or a suggestion? Found a typo? Something not working right on the forum?

Found a typo

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:18 pm

http://forum.villiersterrace.com/viewtopic.php?t=2

it's "its" not "it's"

It's a posessive, rather than a contraction - and a pet peeve of mine
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 am

Are we related?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Found a typo

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:24 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:http://forum.villiersterrace.com/viewtopic.php?t=2

it's "its" not "it's"

It's a posessive, rather than a contraction - and a pet peeve of mine

Thanks! I changed that.

I just thought I'd point out that "posessive" is spelled "possessive" :wink:
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crystal daze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:46 am

:lol: Skitt's law
crystal daze

Re: Found a typo

Postby Frank The Bunny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:53 am

admin wrote:I just thought I'd point out that "posessive" is spelled "possessive" :wink:

I did that on purpose, to provide you with a smug sense of self-satisfaction.

You're welcome,
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 am

crystal daze wrote::lol: Skitt's law

:lol: I never knew about Skitt's Law. I had to look it up...

"Skitt's Law" (after alt.usage.english contributor "Skitt"):
Skitt's Law, a corollary of Murphy's Law, variously expressed as "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself" or "the likelihood of an error in a post is directly proportional to the embarrassment it will cause the poster."
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:06 am

Peter is the master of the inappropriate apostrophe. My favorite is "Nothing Last's Forever." Like nails on a chalkboard. I believe it's still spelled that way on the myspace page.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:11 am

JackT wrote:Peter is the master of the inappropriate apostrophe. My favorite is "Nothing Last's Forever." Like nails on a chalkboard. I believe it's still spelled that way on the myspace page.

i aced grammar and that stuff bugs the hell out of me, too....but i learned to get over it a long time back, because of something peter once said to me years ago!

i know, i know, this is Brian's website, not peter's, but i really do have to defend Peter here (not hear) for just a minute, and then i'll shut up, because there (not their or they're) have been some hurtful things said recently relating to this matter.

years back, when he was working on his own website (Echoing The Bunnymen) he asked me to read an interview with Les before he uploaded it. it was a great interview, but it had a lot of grammar/misspelling issues. i asked him nicely if he wanted me to correct it for him before he posted it. he said no, because he wasn't worried about it. why? because years and years back when he was at a gig, (or somewhere - i forget where), he was in a room with Mac and somebody else, and Mac introduced him to this sombody by saying something to the effect of: This is Peter. He does one of our fanzines. The spelling is legendary! and peter said to me: if it's good enough for Mac, then it's good enough for the fans, too!

i thought that was fair enough!

so, while spelling and grammar and stuff like that may bother some of us anal grammar people, it's not really all that importantly essential to the bunnymen! if this were a financial website, or a newspaper [and god knows their (not there or they're) websites have shitloads of grammar errors... how do you get into journalism with bad grammar, anyway, BTW???] then i would say it was crucial. but, as Mac, himself, doesn't think it's very crucial, why do we all make such a bug deal out of it??

i'm sorry, i'm not trying to be a snob or a bitch, but i just had to get that off my chest. i know i will probably alienate myself from a few people around here (not hear) by saying it, but i just can't help it. peter is a friend, and he tries to be a good webmaster, and he's only doing what he's told, as that's the official forum, and i just don't like to see everyone putting him down so much for doing that. and certainly not for being himself....which is what everyone here (not hear) seems to want the freedom to be!

:(

ps...i hope the lack of CAPS doesn't bother anyone, because i just can't be bothered. :twisted:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:42 am

Yeah, I hear what you're sayin', but I think if you run an official website for a BAND, you should get the SONG TITLES right.

Echo & the Bunnymen IS a business, after all, even if it isn't as important as, say, a bank.

Also, how do the zillions of other websites out there manage to get the spelling correct? Even sites for tiny little bands nobody ever heard of? The secret is it takes only a modicum of effort, and qualifies, almost literally, as the least you can do quality-wise.

You may not have the latest news, or the most interesting content, or a lot of people visiting your site (all of which describe bunnymen.com), but getting the song titles right is a freebie!

I swear, if there were an "s" in Echo & the Bunnymen, Peter would put an apostrophe before it.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:32 am

As I'm getting older I'm misspelling alot worser than I used ta so I don't even notice much nemore.
moondance

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 am

I knO wot U mean. dEz dAz it sEmz lIk n 1 cn spL, especalE w aL d IM
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackT » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:07 pm

There are TWO E's in "dEz" you moran.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:09 pm

Brandy to help with spelling or so I've read :lol:
moondance

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Red wrote:The spelling is legendary! and peter said to me: if it's good enough for Mac, then it's good enough for the fans, too!

i thought that was fair enough!

so, while spelling and grammar and stuff like that may bother some of us anal grammar people, it's not really all that importantly essential to the bunnymen!

Maybe so but to me it just yells "amateur" it's also unprofessional and doesn't create a very good impression on a first visit imo!
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:30 pm

JackT wrote:There are TWO E's in "dEz" you moran.

Whatever happened to Erin Moran anyway?

Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to All I Want