Musicians and Aging

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Musicians and Aging

Postby JackT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 pm

This could perhaps have gone into one of the non-nonsense threads....

How does age affect the ability of musicians? We have a few on this board & I would like to hear what they think.

We have discussed the effect of aging on vocal ability a bit in the bunnymen fora. My understanding is that, with a healthy voice, some faculties dimish with age, while others get stronger. I think Sinatra was at his best in his 50s.

What about Guitarists and Drummers? My dad has been a drummer since the 50s. He says he has lost speed, but that now he knows you don't need it. I'm not sure what that means, and I didn't ask any followup questions.

What about Guitarists? Certainly manual dexterity decreases with age, so you lose something. I was just watching the old geezers from Cream playing, though, and they still seem pretty damn passable.

And NO blackfrancis, skin flute is NOT a real instrument, and we don't want to hear about how your proficiency has evolved over the years.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:58 pm

Loss of hearing would also be something to deal with (e.g. Pete Townshend)... I'm not a musician but I'd guess how you take care of yourself has a lot to do with it. I remember being struck by a picture of Bruce Springsteen getting ready for a concert. He was reviewing the set list and eating a bowl of vegetable soup!
snowbunny

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:26 pm

I've just got the new Dave Gilmour dvd, the guy's 60 but he can play as well as ever, mind you I suppose he was never a speed merchant anyway. The other thing I find slightly disconcerting is seeing what looks like a collection of OAP's onstage wearing tight kecks and stuff ala Judas Priest a couple of years ago:

:lol: They still put on a great show mind.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 pm

Looks like a Wycked Sceptre show.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:37 pm

WOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:03 pm

At least they had the good sense not to include codpieces...
snowbunny

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Codpiece? Did you say codpiece ..........

Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:20 pm

mmm... cod piece

Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:23 pm

Blimey I'm gonna have to nip out to the chippy now!!
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Just go back to the post before, you'll lose your appetite again...
snowbunny

Re: Musicians and Aging

Postby black francis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:23 pm

JackT wrote:

And NO blackfrancis, skin flute is NOT a real instrument, and we don't want to hear about how your proficiency has evolved over the years.

but I had to hear about your convincing stick. Fortunately being proficient at the skin flute doesn't require much.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Red » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:mmm... cod piece

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmmmmmmmmmm!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm not a musician, but I make music. Some of you may know what I mean by that.

Age has been a double edged sword. I have a better understanding of how to put a ok song together. I can play play better and probably have better ideas.

On the other hand, I am not as excited to make music. When you are young, you think everyone is just as excited to hear your stuff as you are. You get older, and you realize the cds you give out make fine table coasters.

When you are younger you think a D-G-A chord progression is just the most amazing thing you have ever heard in your entire life. You get older and you go, mmmm, like the old war-horse.

Playing out sucks when you are older. All your friends are out of Uni. and the kids still in Uni. don't understand why some old geezer is up on stage. So you end up having to play obscure krout rock that is ageless.

Pop music is meant for youth. It is why we hang on to Echo because it binds us to a time when the world was new. And we don't get Fallout Boy (because they suck) because - the truth is we are jealous of youth - but because it is for another generation to bond to.

I am definitely a better piano player and singer than I used to be. But I am playing Harold Budd - not Rachmaninoff.

How off topic was this?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 pm

withahip wrote:I'm not a musician, but I make music. Some of you may know what I mean by that.

Age has been a double edged sword. I have a better understanding of how to put a ok song together. I can play play better and probably have better ideas.

On the other hand, I am not as excited to make music. When you are young, you think everyone is just as excited to hear your stuff as you are. You get older, and you realize the cds you give out make fine table coasters.

When you are younger you think a D-G-A chord progression is just the most amazing thing you have ever heard in your entire life. You get older and you go, mmmm, like the old war-horse.

Playing out sucks when you are older. All your friends are out of Uni. and the kids still in Uni. don't understand why some old geezer is up on stage. So you end up having to play obscure krout rock that is ageless.

Pop music is meant for youth. It is why we hang on to Echo because it binds us to a time when the world was new. And we don't get Fallout Boy (because they suck) because - the truth is we are jealous of youth - but because it is for another generation to bond to.

I am definitely a better piano player and singer than I used to be. But I am playing Harold Budd - not Rachmaninoff.

How off topic was this?

That was a pretty fine post.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:31 pm

JackT wrote:That was a pretty fine post.

I agree. Can't think of a single wise-ass remark.
Jesus, now I feel fucking old.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Over The Wall