If Brian wanted, this could end up being THE bunnymen forum

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

If Brian wanted, this could end up being THE bunnymen forum

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:45 am

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not he wants to take on the headache, I think it's true that if he wanted to, Brian could end up owning the most active bunnymen fan forum.

The reason I say that is because he has already built a Bunnymen fansite with more content to it than the "official" site has. Additionally, much of this content is unique, in that it is not conveniently available from another source.

What does the official forum have? I guess the most important thing it has is the official blessing of the band, but that is a curse as well as a blessing, because it necessarily restricts what can go on there.

The official forum is NOT a great resource for the latest news about the band. People usually hear important news before Peter is willing or able to post it.

Anyway, I think there is merit to the idea of having the fan site and the official band site being two different things. This is not a criticism of Peter. I just think his resources are better directed elsewhere.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:19 am

I agree, it's a right royal pain in the arse having to watch everything you say on the "official" forum in case it incurs the Wrath Of Peter, not that I intend to post anything controversial of course, so, as long as Brian doesn't have a hissy fit and take the forum offline (like a certain other webmaster who shall remain nameless) I reckon he could be onto a winner.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

Dr Cheese wrote:I agree, it's a right royal pain in the arse having to watch everything you say on the "official" forum in case it incurs the Wrath Of Peter, not that I intend to post anything controversial of course, so, as long as Brian doesn't have a hissy fit and take the forum offline (like a certain other webmaster who shall remain nameless) I reckon he could be onto a winner.

You bring up an interesting point, there Docteur Fromage. Brian would be free to be both MORE and LESS permissive here.

For example, there are certain topics that are definitely within the purview of fan discussion that an official forum would understandably disallow. For example, discussions of how Mac ilovesausaged those ilovesuasages in the ilovesausage.

On the other hand, Brian is not constrained to be absolutely democratic in determining what goes on here. As the 'official' webmaster, Peter feels obliged to not judge what is posted. (Except if it has to do with the delicate subject of Anna Nichole Smith. Then he calls down the thunder.) The problem with this approach he doesn't know how to otherwise control things, so what you get is "anything goes" until the forum gets totally shut down. Seems like you want a middle ground. An independent forum can set whatever rules it wants and apply them using some amount of personal judgment. It doesn't have to pretend to be a 100% "fair."
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:39 am

Of course, this is Brian's forum and he sets his own rules and guidelines as he see's fit and that's only right and proper.

I'm not so sure about Peter's "anything goes" attitude judging by the amount of posts/threads that were mysteriously "disappeared" although he did seem to be at a loss as to how to control things, taking the whole forum down is pretty ridiculous imo, on other forums I doss about on if you step out of line you get a warning and if you continue to be a pain your account gets suspended, your IP is blocked and that's it, Game Over, the forum carries on and everyone soon forgets about the miscreant.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 am

You brought it on yourself when you dared question the motives and sincerity of Anna Nicole's enablers and hanger ons.

You were asking for it.
Last edited by black francis on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Crystal Days » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am

May i ask what happened in the old forum?
Crystal Days

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 am

Let me just say that I will do my best to not censor any posts. Not being the "official" forum does allow certain advantages with certain topics.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blinkilite » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:01 pm

JackT wrote:For example, discussions of how Mac ilovesausaged those ilovesuasages in the ilovesausage.

that was definitely a touchy subject... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jack i love your avatar. hehe
blinkilite

Postby withahip » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Crystal Days wrote:May i ask what happened in the old forum?

I thought it was a little spooky, myself.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:37 pm

withahip wrote:

You offically just crossed the line.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:43 pm

black francis wrote:
withahip wrote:

Again?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:11 pm

withahip wrote:
black francis wrote:
withahip wrote:

Again?

yep this forum's days are numbered. thanks for ruining it a second time.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:49 pm

black francis wrote:
withahip wrote:
black francis wrote:
withahip wrote:

Again?

yep this forum's days are numbered. thanks for ruining it a second time.

sigh.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 pm

I think having this as the official unofficial fan forum is a great idea. Self-policing of the topics and posters is very doable and realistic. And if everyone cooperated, then as far as I'm concerned, the "official" forum need never open up again.

I've grown tired of the sanctified news of concerts and releases and other stuff getting posted days/weeks after we've read it from other sources. And I still don't understand what went on with that dvd/cd release of shepards's bush. "We don't endorse it, but we'll take the positive press from it." DVDtalk.com reviewed it like it was a Bunnymen release. They gave it a very positive review and recommended buying it. I didn't see the band writing to them to tell them that the dvd wasn't what we wanted so buy it at your own risk. Cripes.

And don't get me going on the improper use of apostrophes.

Hey, this could be fun--ranting about stuff we never dared bring up before!

In all seriousness, Brian be careful. Being webmaster to a Bunnymen forum seems to be hazardous to your health. First Ivan, now Peter. Only Frank Coleman made it out alive!
Last edited by Fish Hook Girl on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:25 pm

what happened with ivan? i bought a bunch of stuff from the old site (shirts, avalanche cd, etc) and i never had a problem. then one day he decides to up and rip off mac, will and the fans?
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Next

Return to Over The Wall