Goths - a how to guide

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Goths - a how to guide

Postby fat cherry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:19 am

Well no, I'm just making that up, but John Robb and Lol Tolhurst have books out, some time or other:

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/j ... -of-goth-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goth-History-L ... C94&sr=8-1

But if you can't be arsed with that, I found this on the u-choob

Which turns out its not all what you might think (or fast forward to about 3:54)
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Goths - a how to guide

Postby fat cherry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:21 am

mentions 'gothabilly' - I ought to wonder, like an old bloke, what that's like, or even is, but I htink I know.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:00 pm

the batcave

interesting choice of music - straycats, bowie & gary glitter. I think I missed all the good bits when I lived in London.

(yes I've got an important job to do and finding was not to do it)
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 am

Thank God there's no mention of Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:59 pm

fat cherry wrote:mentions 'gothabilly' - I ought to wonder, like an old bloke, what that's like, or even is, but I htink I know.

The Cramps?
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:17 am

I imagine, and then being me, look it up on the internet :-) According to the 'pedia (though perhaps I shouldn't call it that)

"Critics and journalists classified the Cramps' sound as psychobilly, gothabilly, garage punk, rockabilly, horror punk, garage rock, punk rock and surf."

Psychobilly is what I've heard before. I had a couple of albums and saw them on The Tube, and didn't really think about it genre-wise, and then went to see them at Hammersmith Odeon and me and the girl I was with were about the only people in the audience without the billy wizz flat-top haircut and I thought, ahhh, I get it. We also were the only ones not doing some kind of crazy hand waving dance in time with every single song. Top gig, and then Lux took his see-through trousers off.......

Hope you're well kounelaki. And hope france is too. England's going crazy.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:36 pm

If you wantt he definitive ideal of gothabilly then check out Dave Vanian and the Phantom Chords.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:00 pm

fat cherry wrote:Hope you're well kounelaki. And hope france is too. England's going crazy.

Many thanks, FC. Bon courage!
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu May 11, 2023 7:29 am

Kounelaki wrote:
fat cherry wrote:Hope you're well kounelaki. And hope france is too. England's going crazy.

Many thanks, FC. Bon courage!

Where's he going?
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat May 20, 2023 1:14 am

Courage, not voyage my dear VB.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Over The Wall