August

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

August

Postby fat cherry » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Whacky names not just for pop stars

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56137887

But then I thought, I had an auntie May, and there's June Whitfield of course, and January Jones is quite foxy, so why not. If I had been called this - well apart from I'd have probably not survived teens, that being the kind of school I went to - I'd have probably gone off to the big university and started calling myself Hawke - which for some reason reminds me of Andrew Collins' book - Heaven KNows I'm Misrable Now - in which at one point decides he's going to be known as 'Boon' - and all his mates just go along with it. As an old hippy though I'm more tolerant of such things - one of my daughters had a school mate called Jezebel, which I thought was great, her friends just called her Jez. Where was I? Oh yes - teatime......
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: August

Postby fat cherry » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:04 pm

just musing on now - there was a lad in my year at school called Brent - which I thought was the weirdest name I'd ever heard at that time - but he was the kind of lad you wouldn't fuck about with. Handy on the rugby pitch though. ANd a couple of wesyt indian lads (brothers), Davern and Everton, and though young Ev got a bit of piss taking (our school was right next to Elland Road footy ground), again you wouldn't fuck around with weither of em.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:55 am

Reminds me of a Greg Davies rant going on about school mates and nicknames. One was called Bagdad cos his dad brought him a new bag
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 am

And that just reminds me, I have an old mate called Ian, who I hadn't seen since the late eighties though had the odd letter now and again. Also when the internet came and saved us from doing interesting and important stuff like watching the telly he was one of those who flew under the radar. Even when the great god who is Zuckerberg came along and saved us from spending important time with mailing lists and MySpace he still refused to be drawn into the new world order (I was going to say web - but that'd be too obvious n'est pas). Now FB had reintroduced me to a couple of blokes I used to be in a band with at school - the two martins - drummer and bass player - and a certain amount of bullshit was talked about relighting the fire, unfinished business and suchlike, but nothing ever happened, or was indeed likely to. And it failed to happen for a couple of years or more. Then one day, old mate and singer - 'Ian' - discovered the internet and appeared on the well known social platform. About 30 seconds later we have a gig booked - well, another old mate who was having a summer party at his big house in the country said we could play there. The only thing......, he was now known to his 'new' mates as Iggy. hmmmm. When we first got together - well me and bass player martin (he had to teach me how to play guitar again, lol) both agreed we're not going to call him that and if it was insisted on then the reformation would implode quicker than a stone roses rerun. Anyways, I'm rambling now. Names eh.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Ramble on, FC! :wink: Rock on, too!
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 am

yeah keep on rambling always enjoyable Mr FC