How indie labels reinvented British music

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

How indie labels reinvented British music

Postby Kounelaki » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: How indie labels reinvented British music

Postby fat cherry » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:23 am

Who'd have thought eh, all that stuff we listened to in the 70s and 80s would just be nostalgia for journos. Not that i don't lap it all up you understand.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: How indie labels reinvented British music

Postby fat cherry » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:35 am

Kind of confusing how independent they are. I'd disagree that the indies have changed the world much.

This is where i got confused.
Twelve months earlier Rough Trade found itself in receivership after the distribution company went bust, bringing down the label with it. It returned as an independent in 1999, and was bought by BMG in 2002 before becoming independent again in 2007 when Martin Mills brought it into Beggars Group, a label portfolio that now includes Beggars Banquet, 4AD, Matador, Rough Trade, XL and Young Turks. Mute had major success via Erasure, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Moby and Goldfrapp and was bought by EMI in 2002. After a period that Miller says “was so hierarchical it ended up being impossible to do anything”, Mute became independent again in 2010.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Over The Wall