the footy thread

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

the footy thread

Postby 5times » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Mrs 5times and I had some foreign visitors over the last few days. They went on both the Liverpool and Man Utd stadium tours ( I took them to Anfield, but there was no way I was going to the theatre of screams). They said that the Liverpool tour was far better and seeing the actual European Cup, something United cannot offer, was the icing on the cake. For some reason they were not interested on going on the Everton tour.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, this thread is for you to laugh, cry, shout, boast, etc., about your club.
As my username may give away, I support Liverpool - it's nothing to do with any Sir Ralph Halpern- like prowess.

Liverpool poor yesterday- 2 points dropped in that race for 4th, which I see as between Liverpool, Spurs and Everton. Not Utd- they're crap- :lol:
5times

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:44 pm

fitba ? Is that Irvine Welsh language?
5times

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:42 am

You'll have to ask Crystal Daze. :biggrin:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 am

Supported Everton as a young kid, they were my Dad's team (and his dad and his brothers) but some time in primary school it became clear everyone was either ManU or Liverpool and as my best mates were ManU I went that way. Never felt like going to Old Trafford but always used to look out for them on the telly. When my Dad passed away, my youngest decided for some unknown reason to support the Blues and I decided to go back with him having had a bloody gutfull of United, started to go to Goodison regularly and haven't turned back. Just seems that football in both Everton and Liverpool is truer to what it should be, it's about 'guts and passion' (who said that eh?) and this season style as well, it's not all about the bloody superstore, massive sponsorship and how many shirts you can sell in the Far East (and that's not Norfolk!).

I have a feeling we'll get stuffed next Tuesday though. :eek:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:57 am

My dad preferred everton. He broke the chair once celebrating a goal in the 1966 FA cup final, although I still wasn't around to witness that. My nan also tells me that her dad used to regularly walk the ten or so miles to goodison park, in what was probably the Dixie Dean era.

I have vague memories of wearing an everton hat on holiday somewhere as a very young child, but from around 1976 I started supporting Liverpool.

First visit to Anfield was when they beat Norwich 3-0 in April, 1978 and I started going regular in the 84-85 season for about 15 years. I rarely go now, although I'd like to take my oldest daughter.

In my years of going to the match my best experience - 1986 cup final. What a day that was. I savoured the whole experience and didn't even have a drink.
Worst- losing the FA cup semi at maine road in '85. I was really gutted. Personally, it was worse then the '96 final.

Hey VB- Have you seen this film? it's so daft it's quite funny.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uly4BS73hWs[/youtube]
5times

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:32 am

I'm possibly giving my age away here but I've supported Liverpool since 1970. I used to be a regular at Anfield but as my mates started getting married and stuff (myself included) that started to drop away and it's probably about 20 years since I last went to the match so I'm just an armchair supporter these days. I sometimes get the urge to go again but then I see the ticket prices and think about the good old days when it used to cost £2.80 to go in the Annie Rd stand!
Still get a bit teary when I hear YNWA sung properly :smile: .
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:07 am

The kop was £1.50 when I started going in '84, although that was the child price. I used to pay half price on the bus and on the kop and have a few pints on the way there. Ha ha, the joys of being 15.

It was weird going on the kop the other day on the anfield tour. The last time I was there was 2-1 against everton in 1994. 20 years...I can't believe it.
Last edited by 5times on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
5times

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 pm

2 points dropped. :sad:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I thought you were going to overtake us there. Biggest league derby for years next week. It'll be a tortuous 90 mins.
5times

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:53 am

Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Pity the mancs didn't win. It would have been even sweeter watching them getting battered at Wembley by their lottery winning neighbours.

[/img]
5times

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 am

This description of Moyes since he went to Utd made me lol:

"standing by the sideline looking like a grotesquely wrinkled, scared child left outside the supermarket by an uncaring parent" :lol:
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:15 am

He is Gollum.
5times

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 am

Just think what Everton might have achieved had Fergie retired earlier.
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Over The Wall