John Cooper Clarke interview

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Re: John Cooper Clarke interview

Postby Kounelaki » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:14 pm

:lol: Thank you dear Mr Cherry.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am

just read his book, 'I wanna be yours'. Its very good. A bit 'listy' in paces and rambling about haircuts, places people, jazz, musicians, clothes and stuff interwoven with his story - but in a good way. Interesting first introduction to the heavy stuff as a kid with TB then finds it again while he's helping a mate rob a chemist - the mate's only interested in the pills but JCC finds a big jar of what he calls ('give it a name....') laudanum, and the future's pretty much written. Inevitably gets slightly less intersesting when he meets his one true love and has a baby, gets off the smack (not necessarily in that order) but thats only the last thirty or so pages. takes fifty or so pages before a mention poetry, old school english teacher (natch) who teaches them to recite poems (its only any good if it sounds good) and once againthe future's writing itself. Good read!
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 pm

also....., he makes a good point about the beatles and the stones, kind of obvious though I've never seen it written before, or thought about it as such. So whilst musing on when the stones emerged the whole rivalry thing (and he's a teenager in mid sixties) and Andrew Oldham selling them as the bad boys to the beatles nice boys, he says something along the lines of 'the irony being that when the stones were doing their exams in Kent the beatles were fucking whores on the reaperbahn and playing 12 hour sets'. I think it went on a bit, and not that they were [expletive] whores themselves, you know its all about the verb.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks for the review, FC. Interesting point about the Beatles and the Stones.

Jagger's ex covering Lennon

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:55 pm

I think thats on the album I've got, broken english - with the brill ballad of lucy jordan on it. Nice one.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Over The Wall