Sigur Ros or Ikea?

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:12 am

:lol: :lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:28 am

Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 am

My great grandfather was from Denmark and I need a new doormat so maybe I'll pick one up at the Ikea that is opening up tomorrow near my house.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:43 am

Sigur Rós take over YouTube today

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/03/catch_of_the_day_sigur_ros_tak.html

"Like all Icelanders, we are intensely proud of our mighty homeland in the far North Atlantic," says bassist Georg "Goggi" Holm. "It is in our Viking blood to want to conquer nations and peoples, but our longboat was in the repair shop having the barnacles removed, so we just made a film to send out into the world on our behalf instead. It turned out all right in the end, and lots of people have already enjoyed it. And now it's your turn."
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:49 pm

ok so jack t reads the guardian then?
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:15 pm

tonywojo wrote:ok so jack t reads the guardian then?

oh hell no
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:36 pm

tonywojo wrote:ok so jack t reads the guardian then?

He only reads it for the interviews.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Kounelaki wrote:Sigur Rós take over YouTube today

Wow! Thanks Kounelaki!! i love this band. their music gives me chills! i really wanted to see this film, but have been so busy lately i didn't even know it was on here! THANKS!!! :-)

just reading the info on youtube while listening...this band is one of the very few bands in recent years that i have been completely taken with. the scenery portions of this film are beautifully shot, but what i wanted to say is they remind me a bit of the bunnymen with their weird tours.

'heima' is sigur rós's first ever film, filmed over two weeks during the summer of 2006 when the band undertook a series of free, unannounced concerts in iceland. they hauled 40-plus people round 15 locations to the furthest flung corners of their homeland for their debut venture into live film, to create something, well, inspirational.

on their way they went to ghost towns, outsider art shrines, national parks, small community halls and the absolute middle-of-nowhere-ness of the highland wilderness, as well as playing the largest gig of their career (and in icelandic history) at their homecoming reykjavik show.

i really want to see them again. saw them ages back and they were so good! :-)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Blackheathen » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:28 am

Kounelaki wrote:Sigur Rós take over YouTube today

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/03/catch_of_the_day_sigur_ros_tak.html

"Like all Icelanders, we are intensely proud of our mighty homeland in the far North Atlantic," says bassist Georg "Goggi" Holm. "It is in our Viking blood to want to conquer nations and peoples, but our longboat was in the repair shop having the barnacles removed, so we just made a film to send out into the world on our behalf instead. It turned out all right in the end, and lots of people have already enjoyed it. And now it's your turn."

What a beautiful film!
Thanks Kounelaki + Red.
Blackheathen

Postby Seven Seas » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:47 am

1) Sigur Ros song, off of Takk
2) Ikea---bed frame
3) Ikea---kitchen island
4) Sigur Ros, off of Von
5) ?
6) ?
7) Ikea---6 drawer chest
8) Sigur Ros, off of Ágætis Byrjun
9) Ikea---day-bed frame
10) Sigur Ros, off of 2003-03-01: Coliseu Dos Recreios, Lisbon, Portugal
11) Ikea---bedside table
12) Ikea---kitchen cabinet unit

That's all I know....Happy Easter.
Seven Seas

Re: Sigur Ros or Ikea?

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm

During my trip to Älmhult, and after filling up on a cheese and crispbread brunch at Icom – the Ikea communications department – one of Ikea’s longest-serving staff members (a Danish woman in an immaculate white shirt) let me into the company’s little inside joke about those “funny” Scandinavian names. It goes that while the sofas are given Swedish place names and the beds are named after towns in Norway, the Danish place names are reserved especially for toilet brushes.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 am

Still fond of Billy Bookcase, sounds like a character from Viz or something.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

Love the meatballs (with chips obviously not mash, I mean mash, it's not bloody primary school), never quite get round to buying some to take home though. It's a bit of a drive from this rock we live on and always forget to take a cool bag and the buggers would have defrosted by the time we'd got them home, which is fine if you want to have them that evening but I'd usually have had them in the café (it is a café isn't it, well you wouldn't call it a restaurant would you?) at lunchtime, I mean they're nice but I wouldn't really want them twice in a day. Bought some of that gravy thing and a jar of that red jam stuff you get there but the gravy turned out a bit lumpy so I had to sieve it and the jam thing was fine with the meatballs but wasn't great on toast, plus the Asda meatballs weren't quite the same as the Swedish ones, I say Swedish but they're probably from a factory in Macclesfield or somewhere.

Anyway, that's Ikea obviously, not Sugar Ross, do they do meatballs?
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

Kounelaki wrote:
the Danish place names are reserved especially for toilet brushes.

As a descendant of poor Danish immigrants from Odesne I find this appropriate
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 am

Ha, I was doing a bit of Googling and found this tidbit about the equivalent of "white trash" in Denmark... "Brian' is used as a term for these kinds of people - In my generation, Brian was a very popular name among the lower social classes in Denmark - So a lot of boys named 'Brian' grew up to be... well... Brians."

But you can call me Mister Brian
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Over The Wall