So Scouser .. . .

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

So Scouser .. . .

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:58 am

Why did you quit/ get banned/ help bring down the official board?

Enquiring minds want to know!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQ1JLTAhMaY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQ1JLTAhMaY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(And notice at :18 there is a story about oatmeal fighting diabetes . . .turns out it is true)
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:42 am

Where do I start?

It all began a few months ago when I noticed replies I was making were being deleted. I first spotted it on the topic about the St Helens gig when I dared to suggest that the band were simply going through the motions (you may not agree - but I am entitled to my opinion).

Various posts got deleted and then the Webastard (I'm not giving him a name) had the audacity to deny it! All the posts that were deleted were when I had something negative to say about the current Bunnymen live incarnation (I cant really fault the recorded output, even now). I openly admit I'm bored of the setlist and I think Mac is going through the motions (Will I think is mildly embarassed by it all but has to pay the bills somehow). Again, you might not agree, but thats my opinion as a Bunnymen fan(atic) of 20 odd years standing. But the posts kept getting chopped.

In the end I decided I would leave the forum and get on with my life. Which I did. But I was drawn back one night to have a peek.

Bad mistake, especially as I had been in the pub all night and was (to put it mildly) totally wasted.

I cant even remember what set me off, probably some moronic post about kittens or something by Spooky or Watercolors and I thought - "is this what the most uncompromising cult band in the UK and love of my life has come to - posts by retarded Americans and not being allowed to have an opinion lest it be off message?"

I flipped out and drunkenly typed a diatribe about dumb yanks, censorship, the webastard having his head so far up Macs arse he cant see the truth and various other uncharitable comments I cant quite remember.

When I look back on it I think I may have done it just to get the boot. I knew as soon as I hit "send" I'd be banned. In reality I think my subconcious didnt want me to have to go back there.

I dont hate all Americans, of course I dont, but there are some people on that site that I find deeply alarming for their sheer ability to keep a topic going for 200 posts on the colour of Mac's eyes or Will's favourite plectrum.

I love the Bunnymen. I mean really love them. The first four albums saved my life and I thing are artistic achievements that rival anything in the 20th Century and beyond. The post reformation albums have their high points, some are better than others, and Siberia was a major return to form (if still abit tame).

Live - yes, I have issues. But I still go. Occasionally the old Bunnymen magic shines through. But when you have heard The Cutter for the 2000th time it loses some of its edge...but if they did Angels & Devils, Clay, Happy Death Men etc once in a while...oh my god...I'd be wiping the tears from my eyes! Is that too much to ask?

Anyway, Im off and Im arrived here. Love me or hate me...

...but already I feel like I'm home.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 am

Pardon me for sounding too "american" in my response, but...

That was fucking awesome!

I think your opinion of the "live" Bunnymen is dead-on, though I must confess I haven't been to a gig since... well, certainly it was pre-Siberia - though I've heard some of the Instant Live recordings.

The setlist IS tired, mostly for Ego McCulloch's benefit. He's lazy. Period.

You may go off on me one day - I am notorious for tangents, and have posted about food nearly 200 times - but I love a lively debate
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:39 am

Scouser wrote:Where do I start?
(you may not agree - but I am entitled to my opinion).

Again, you might not agree, but thats my opinion as a Bunnymen fan(atic) of 20 odd years standing.

Your need to justify your opinion - man that site messed you up.

Scouser wrote:

I cant even remember what set me off, probably some moronic post about kittens or something by Spooky or Watercolors and I thought - "is this what the most uncompromising cult band in the UK and love of my life has come to - posts by retarded Americans and not being allowed to have an opinion lest it be off message?"

I dont hate all Americans, of course I dont, but there are some people on that site that I find deeply alarming for their sheer ability to keep a topic going for 200 posts on the colour of Mac's eyes or Will's favourite plectrum.

What else was anyone allowed to write about except kittens and Mac's eyes? :wink:

As much as I have tired of listening to provincial Brits bitch about America after living among them in in Tokyo and Barcelona despite never having been there and failing to realize how terrible looking at their bad teeth during one of their"I hate Americans" diatribes was. - your honesty is appreciated.

Honestly, I don't think you have a problem with Americans as much as you do with femininity and women.

I look forward to your misanthropic posts! They make a message board worth reading!
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 am

Scouser wrote:

Everyone knows this is Will's favorite plectrum :rolleyes:

Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dr M » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:10 am

withahip wrote:Honestly, I don't think you have a problem with Americans as much as you do with femininity and women.

I look forward to your misanthropic posts! They make a message board worth reading!

Do you not mean misogynous, withahip?
Dr M
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:20 am

Dr M wrote:Do you not mean misogynous, withahip?

Yes, why yes I do.

Thanks.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:29 am

Thats outrageous...I havent got a problem with women, after all Im married to one and have a daughter.

It have to be honest and say giving them the vote was a mistake, but thats not being misogynistic. Thats being a realist. As long as my tea is on the table when I get in from work and the house is tidy - women have a place in society.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 am

Scouser wrote:Thats outrageous...I havent got a problem with women, after all Im married to one and have a daughter.

I was joking.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 am

withahip wrote:I was joking.

So was he.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tomo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:37 am

ha ha good shout couldn't agree more.... thinkin about it that must be why i USED to have one! A wife that is... now it's down to me to do the washing,ironing,fuckin everything else!

at least sky plus doesn't forget to tape the match!

tomo

Postby withahip » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:38 am

JackT wrote:So was he.

You shut up.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:44 am

Welcome back Scouser!
moondance

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:15 pm

yes. welcome

Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Oh no - a cute animal photo! I thought I had escaped all that.....AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Over The Wall