Military thread...

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Military thread...

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Are you or someone you know, in the military? How long & what branch?

What will you do for them for the upcoming holidays? Do you volunteer to assist w/ anyone who needs help for this? Like maybe sending care packages or helping out a wife w/ kids (or children on the way) not to feel so alone & upset of it all.

What if your in it, are you happy about it and if not, when will you get out? Do you still feel a sense of pride & duty from initially signing up? Are you anti-service? What do you think about it all?
Seven Seas

Postby black francis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:23 pm

I signed up for the Army with a buddy at 18. We both wanted to be helicopter mechanics and eventually start up our own business when we got out in four years. I was kicked out in under a week for blood pressure problems and next thing he knew he was in Germany getting the clap from the base whore.

And here I am! Lucky for you guys.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Ted » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:55 pm

I served in the US Army for two years (minimum requirement) + a year of National Guard...Did basic training at Ft. Knox and then was stationed in Erlangen, Germany....Loved it, lot's of good friends, Germany is fantastic! Really have nothing bad to say about that time at all, very happy I did it....
Ted

Postby withahip » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:35 pm

"I love a man in uniform."
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:36 pm

I had a 19 yr. old cousin (drafted) who stepped on a land mine during the Vietnam War. The bottom half of his body was blown off but they kept him alive for 3 days. He was buried in Arlington but his mother later had his body taken out and moved to another cemetery since she felt the war had no purpose. It seems like history is repeating itself.

And then there's this:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mostpop ... etail.html
insanejane

Postby Karen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm

My friends son is in Afganistan at the moment. I dont know how she copes.
Karen

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:38 pm

x
Last edited by Seven Seas on Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Seas

Postby Karen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Seven Seas wrote:My Dad, 2 Grandfathers, 3 brothers and now 2 brothers-in-laws were/are all in the Air Force.

1 brother was a Marine, went to the Middle East as did my 1 sister (navy seawoman).

Right now, I have 2 brothers-in-law over in Iraq and Iran, respectively. It's not an "easy" thing as I really, really, really hope all of this ends soon....as obviously does my sisters.

For the upcoming holidays, my one brother & I are hosting my one sister & her children since, she's going to be alone. My other sister is going to another brother's house. It will be "interesting" for me personally speaking, to host her and all of her kids in my small apartment! lol lol

I'm currently putting together packages for them for Xmas, I'm working extra OT at work (by working on cases at home too) to buy extra things as much as I can pack for them in the boxes. I hope they like them. I mean, it's not that I want to be seen as some saint or martyr but, for Pete's sake, look at the sacrifices they are all making (I'm talkiing about any person in the military).

I think what all of them are doing is truly, truly admirable & respectable. As sort of a religious person, I do think & pray for them. I worry A LOT about them to the point that it is like it resemble a hangnail resembling the painful thoughts. I can't only imagine what my sisters and other loved ones feel inside....

I just wish all of this could end very soon. Will Peace ever occur? Let's hope...

I agree with you. Its awful. I just worry that it will all be for nothing. Seven seas. I hope all your relatives come back safely.
Karen

Return to Over The Wall