True Blood

Tired of discussing the Bunnymen and all the bands that have been influenced by them? This is the place for you.

Postby In The Margins » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Scouser wrote:The Wire is the best TV series ever. No question.

I was disappointed as to how they ended the series and how some of the characters ended up. But the season that focused on the school system was very powerful. And who didn't marvel at Stringer Bell?
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re:

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 am

black francis wrote:I am going to have to give The Wire a try. I've heard too many people proclaim it to be the pinnacle of television achievement to put it off any longer. I tried two seasons of the Sopranos but it didn't work.

Me and Mrs FC have just finished the last series of the wire after a marathon trawl through the whole lot. Great stuff, as generally agreed around here. Liked the sopranos but got a bit formulaic I thoght and lost it cpmpletely when it went into fantasy dreamland. Also deadwood last year was good, shame it ended so suddenly. SAmpled game of thrones but not sure about that, not sure all the naked ladies made up for the nadgers story. Might try something new (as in less than five years old) soon though. Suggestions?

FC
(file under lets resurrect a really old thread)
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Re:

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:18 am

fat cherry wrote: SAmpled game of thrones but not sure about that, not sure all the naked ladies made up for the nadgers story

:eek:

I think you'll find that naked ladies can make up for any amount of lamentable story lines!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: True Blood

Postby In The Margins » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 am

In no particular order:

Breaking Bad
Banshee
Ray Donovan
True Detective (Season One)
Sons of Anarchy
The Leftovers
Homeland
Justified
Boardwalk Empire
Hannibal
The Americans

That should get you going. :biggrin:
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:
fat cherry wrote: SAmpled game of thrones but not sure about that, not sure all the naked ladies made up for the nadgers story

I think you'll find that naked ladies can make up for any amount of lamentable story lines!

I've seen plenty of movies where the plumber comes around to fix the washing machine at the start, never seems to detract from one's enjoyment. :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Cheers margins (& VB & Cheese for your observations). As it happens Ihave seen the first series of Breaking Bad and thought it was good, but never followed through, as it were. My stepdaughters bought it for me because I 'was interested in chemistry'. Just found boardwalk empire on the internet telly thing sothats up next. Tried a coupl eo f episodes of sons of anrchy but i didn't click. Maybe I'd just finished the sopranos and it seemed a bit of a 'now, what can we do with this gangster malarky'.

Lets see what happens. Just got my accounts to do before I'm allowed any more telly.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby In The Margins » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:00 am

Give Breaking Bad another chance. The payout is worth it. Plus you get to see the American Southwest filmed in an amazing fashion.

If you want gangster try Boardwalk Empire. It might be best thing HBO's ever done. It's a slow burner but very well written and acted. The cinematography is excellent too.

I heartily recommend True Detective with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Some people didn't like the ending, but it's a straight up detective story and it's only six episodes long.

I've not see The Americans, but it gets high praise. And Hannibal is outrageous. I'm amazed the stuff gets by the censors, but you need a relatively strong stomach to watch some of it.

Enjoy the viewing!
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:
Dr Cheese wrote:

I've seen plenty of movies where the plumber comes around to fix the washing machine at the start, never seems to detract from one's enjoyment. :lol:

Or a security guard providing "security"
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby black francis » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:44 am

The problem with series these days is they're trying to outdo each other in regards to killing beloved characters. So fucking sick of falling in love with a character just to see them killed in the worst possible way.

Having said that I LOVED the ending of True Detective.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Previous

Return to Over The Wall