Royal Albert Hall - pre-gig meet for September!

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Royal Albert Hall - pre-gig meet for September!

Postby Red » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 pm

(started a new thread so it's easier to find than in the middle of a 15 page thread) :lol:

Okay, here's the deal....

A very reliable bunny friend just happened to be near the Royal Albert Hall area
today, so he went over and checked out the pubs for us!

The first place he stopped was Paxtons Head, the place
someone recommended earlier on. He said it's nice, but it's about a 10 minute
(fast paced) walk away from RAH. He said it's big enough, but due to the distance
he would only recommend it if everywhere close by was totally filled up.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ghtsbridge

The next place he visited was the Queen's Arms...charming
place in a cobbled mews. It's only about a 3 minute walk from RAH. They serve
decent priced traditional English food between 12 - 4 and 5 - 9:30... and they
have Addlestones cloudy cider!!! woooo! (and a few other ciders on draft!!)
It's a little small, but if enough of us get there early it'd be okay.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Kensington

The last place he checked out was the Union Bar at
Imperial College. (the place Jimbo mentioned) He said it was nice if it's not
raining and you can go outside - because they have a big courtyard, but if
you're stuck indoors it's nothing special. They serve real ales, Strongbow,
and Westons cider in bottles. They also serve sandwiches and light snacks.
It's like a minute or so away. *as a side note tho...i read some reviews,
and this place is supposedly for students of the college...but "usually"
they don't check ID. (if a load of us came in, tho, they may possibly question it?)
Some reviews also said it wasn't as cheap as it once used to be.

http://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/union-services/bars-catering/union-bar,42,ICUAP.html

Well, I know where I'm going!!!! :mrgreen: To the Queens Arms for some food
and Addlestones cloudy cider! mmmmm (my fave cider ever!) ....and maybe pop
into the Union Bar later on. (depending where everyone else is!) But it sounds
like the Queen's Arms is the best bet to me!

Now....what time is everyone meeting up? Do we know when the band is
on stage? And what about the support..act/ band/anything? Since it's a
seated venue, there's no real rush to leave the pub early! :wink:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Hmm. Sounds interesting. How many people are turning up? Who is turning up? I have no idea about when the band will come on stage, but might be worth turning up for the pre-meet depending on time.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Red » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 pm

people usually show up at various times......so just drop in when you can! the more, the merrier! :biggrin:

we had 25 people show up for the ULU meet! don't know if we've ever beat that!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 am

i'll have you know (though thanks for the research), that having spent many an evening in that union bar, that it is (or was, it was the the 80s after all) totally fit for purpose (as the present govenrment might say), seeing as it is, a student bar (you have posh ones in america? with waiters and all?) . i.e., if your a bloke at a college where the female population is about 10% and you cant be arsed walking down to chelsea college to stare at the nursing and art students (i mean, girls eh) its as good a place as any to sit cosily and get blind drunk when you should be writing up some dreadful chemistry lab you've already spent five days on. Not only that, being a blokey place, should you fall over they would be more than helpful in propping you up and selling you more beer. ah, happy days. Oh and since it will still be the student hols I expect they wont be that choosy about who drinks in there, though it might be full of conference types.

The queens arms is quite a cutesy little place but not v large I think, but has the advantage that besides the food and the coider it is called 'the queens arms', and not the bullfrog and flagellator or some other modern take on what a drinking hole should be called. If you walk a bit further down from there onto gloucester road there's a few such places. Right next to waitrose there is such a place that I think used to be called the harrington (whatever one of those is) that was popular and quite large but its called something different now.

Also, I believe that they have taken the seats out of the floor stalls/arena area so youre only seated if youre not there.

C. :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:37 am

in one of the reviews for the Union Bar there were a few other nearby places mentioned. the Gloucester something or other, and another one across the road from that one too, but i didn't read up on them because they didn't sound as nice (in that review) and i figured the ones my friend checked out would be perfectly fine! there really wasn't anything wrong with the student bar, just not as 'traditional' as the Queen's Arms. and for those that went to the meet in Edinburgh, that was a great courtyard, and this one is similar, but you just can't be sure of the weather, so if we all cross our fingers and it doesn't rain that place will be perfect for a meet -- and it's so close!

but - that said, i'm still heading to the Queens Arms first, myself, to get some food and Addlestones cloudy cider! :mrgreen: it's hard to find that cider. i think this place only makes the 7th pub i've ever come across having it. (everyone always sells Strongbow. :rolleyes:)

i forgot there were standing tickets, most people i know have seated ones, but at least both of these pubs are really close!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Red,

Pete & me land on Sunday, Heathrow, 8pm. We're staying at The Regency (originally it was the Comfort Inn but, it got changed).

I'm unsure exactly where the Queen's Arms is but, we could try to find it. If not, maybe we'll see you at the gig.

Have a blast everyone going & sorry to the people not being able to make it. There's always next time...

Cheers.

RED & OTHER AMERICANS:

Anyone here from America going to the Liverpool gig? Just asking. My friend Pete, is coming with me & I was just asking Americans here whom might be going. Maybe if you're interested, we could meet-up prior & have a "Thanksgiving" meal together since that holiday is the night of the gig. Thanks. :)
Last edited by Seven Seas on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seven Seas

Postby Frank The Bunny » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Seven Seas wrote:I'm unsure exactly where the Queen's Arms is

They is attached to her shoulders.

Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Karen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:They is attached to her shoulders.

Thats funny Frank. Im hoping to meet up again.
Karen

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen