Support for Radio City show is Glasvegas

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby withahip » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:45 am

The don't really sound like the JAMC. Here are the reason I see for the comparison
A. Both bands are from Scotland
B. James Allan says the JAMC are a major influence and the most important band to come out of Sctoland
C. Alan Mcgee is promoting them and he got the MAry Chain their first single and managed them - he spread the word about Glasvegas by getting them on his show.
D. The songs are 3-5 chords - usually I-IV-V - in both bands - with a droning guitar line hanging on one note throughout
E. Both drummers on the first release played simple beats usually a lot of tom drums.

So there you go - a lot of it has to do with the situation more than the music - but people often like bands based on things like that rather than the actual music -

I liked them before finding any of this out - but after the fact it figures.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:43 pm

I never understood that JAMC connection either. More like the Raveonettes IMHO, but sod it who gives?
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby JackT » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm

withahip wrote:The don't really sound like the JAMC. Here are the reason I see for the comparison
B. James Allan says the JAMC are a major influence and the most important band to come out of Sctoland
C. Alan Mcgee is promoting them and he got the MAry Chain their first single and managed them - he spread the word about Glasvegas by getting them on his show.
D. The songs are 3-5 chords - usually I-IV-V - in both bands - with a droning guitar line hanging on one note throughout
E. Both drummers on the first release played simple beats usually a lot of tom drums.

So there you go - a lot of it has to do with the situation more than the music - but people often like bands based on things like that rather than the actual music -

You forgot to mention the use of diminished minor 9ths.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:40 pm

withahip wrote:The don't really sound like the JAMC. Here are the reason I see for the comparison

hhmmm......i didn't know ANY of that.......i based my comparison on the song i heard the other day on youtube, knowing nothing about the band prior, and being a massive fan of the Mary Chain. just heard some similarities in one track, is all. (music only) they sound nothing alike vocally!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 pm

I meant the reason the music press is comparing the two. I don't know of anyone who heard the two bands drawing the comparison.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby watercolors » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:35 am

Red wrote:hhmmm......i didn't know ANY of that.......i based my comparison on the song i heard the other day on youtube, knowing nothing about the band prior, and being a massive fan of the Mary Chain. just heard some similarities in one track, is all. (music only) they sound nothing alike vocally!

Bands like this ALL sound like they have the 80s influence... I even picked up on Bunnymen in the song I heard! :razz:
Screaming from beneath the waves...
watercolors

Postby JackT » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm beginning to think that the "who does this band sound like" phenomenon is pathological. I went to see a smattering of local bands last night, most of whom were pretty decent. Problem is, instead of really listening to the music, I find myself trying to figure out what or who each particular song reminds me of, as if that adds anything to appreciating the music at hand. I need to just listen and forget about all that.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:17 pm

i was going to joke that you are are indeed pathological - but you make a good point. Why is it? Is it because we look for bands and with a certain sound when we are younger? Is it the music press? Any review makes a recipe of what the band's influences seem to be comprised of.

So often we don't like it when a band steps out of the skin we see them in. Strangely, I think many are wishing for the Bunnymen to do just that.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby octavia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:07 pm

What, the Leather Nun are not opening?
octavia

Postby JackT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:16 am

octavia wrote:What, the Leather Nun are not opening?

Ha ha! That is a great idea, actually! The original RCMH opening band! Boy, they sure did suck, though. All I remember is a song about "Fist F**kers".
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby In The Margins » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 am

JackT wrote:Ha ha! That is a great idea, actually! The original RCMH opening band! Boy, they sure did suck, though. All I remember is a song about "Fist F**kers".

I remember one of theres -- I can smell your thoughts. or maybe that was farts. something like that. truly terrible. they hit one note and wrecked my right ear drum. still can't get rid of the ringing in that ear 20 years later. i remember them selling leather nun condoms. yeah sure.
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen