Electrafixion, unfairly neglected?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Electrafixion, unfairly neglected?

Postby Miracat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm

I've just got Burned, and it's great. Very different from the Bunnymen in their heyday, but it seems to me that Will and Ian really enjoyed themselves. I hope they find that amount of pleasure in the Bunnymen these days.
Miracat
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Re: Electrafixion, unfairly neglected?

Postby JackT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Miracat wrote:I've just got Burned, and it's great. Very different from the Bunnymen in their heyday, but it seems to me that Will and Ian really enjoyed themselves. I hope they find that amount of pleasure in the Bunnymen these days.

To answer the question posed in the thread title, it was unfairly neglected by YOU. We have all been enjoying it for 13 years. Burned is an excellent album.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 pm

I've said it before, IMO, if the actual album had been more like Electrafixion's first EP, then yes, they would've been unfairly neglected, but the production on Burned was pretty bad, way too slick. Also the lyrics were some of Mac's worst on a single album.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby JackT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Mr.Sparkle wrote:I've said it before, IMO, if the actual album had been more like Electrafixion's first EP, then yes, they would've been unfairly neglected, but the production on Burned was pretty bad, way too slick. Also the lyrics were some of Mac's worst on a single album.

You people really kill me sometimes.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:09 pm

To say WE have been enjoying it for 13 years is not a true statement. Even as a Bunnymen fan at the time I was barely aware they even existed. I know many other Bunnymen fans didn't know about it either. I didn't even hear the album til their short career as Electrafixion fizzled out.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 am

I thought the first E'F single was brilliant, and the album really good but tbh the best thing was when they carried the Electrafixionsppirt in those Bunny b-sides for the NLF single, stuff like Colour Me In, Polly, Antelope & Watch Tower . I thought Evergreen missed a trick having that kind of stuff on.
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby tonywojo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:16 am

Mr.Sparkle wrote:I've said it before, IMO, if the actual album had been more like Electrafixion's first EP, then yes, they would've been unfairly neglected, but the production on Burned was pretty bad, way too slick. Also the lyrics were some of Mac's worst on a single album.

I think we were all surprised when we found it - it was unlike any other and very angsty!
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby watercolors » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:22 am

Jack, wasn't Porcupine neglected by you??

Electrifiction is a great album! I can't see how anyone could not like it. Just a different vibe for Mac & Will.
Screaming from beneath the waves...
watercolors

Postby JackT » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:37 am

watercolors wrote:Jack, wasn't Porcupine neglected by you??

Never! Bite your tongue.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:03 am

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:I thought the first E'F single was brilliant, and the album really good but tbh the best thing was when they carried the Electrafixionsppirt in those Bunny b-sides for the NLF single, stuff like Colour Me In, Polly, Antelope & Watch Tower . I thought Evergreen missed a trick having that kind of stuff on.

antelope is one of my favorite songs. it really has that Efix grit in there, and i love it. i keep looking for it in the new material... the closest thing is probably scissors in the sand, which barely compares to Efix. I'm not saying they have to go hardcore or anything, just mix it up a little. :lol:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby Red » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 am

Mr. Brian wrote:To say WE have been enjoying it for 13 years is not a true statement. Even as a Bunnymen fan at the time I was barely aware they even existed. I know many other Bunnymen fans didn't know about it either. I didn't even hear the album til their short career as Electrafixion fizzled out.

my friend got me the EP for Christmas (the year it was released) and if it hadn't been for that i wouldn't have even known Efix existed either. in fact....i missed ALL THREE TOURS! :cry: it's a shame it wasn't promoted better. i feel like i missed my high school prom. :frown: :frown:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, I didn't miss the Electrafixion experience. There were two U.S. tours - late 1995 and mid 1996. Seeing them do "Loose" was a favorite moment for me. Ian looked about 7-10 years younger with the weight loss (from the solo years) and the shortened hair cut. Grwwwwwl. And he played the guitar. (Pinky? maybe) The also put out a lot of product -- the ep, the lp, cd singles, posters, t-shirts, a 7 inch, a 3-cd collectors set and most recently the remastered lp. Ah, good times.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm

JackT wrote:You people really kill me sometimes.

Lyrics were pretty lame to say the least on Burned. It was like Mac was trying to be gritty, angsty, grungy, I honestly don't know what he was going for but it sure didn't work for me and it just seemed fake.

What's weird is the actual song Burned was on their first EP (Zephyr) and was/is one of their best songs, but it wasn't on the actual album.

Saw them live and they were awesome. They did Holy Grail, which I hadn't heard before and didn't know existed, and it just blew me away live (better than the recorded version). Will was actually pretty animated during the song.

I see Electrafixion overall as a failed experiment, mostly due to lame lyrics and poor production. Their EP's are also all pretty much way better than their actual album, IMO.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:To say WE have been enjoying it for 13 years is not a true statement. Even as a Bunnymen fan at the time I was barely aware they even existed. I know many other Bunnymen fans didn't know about it either. I didn't even hear the album til their short career as Electrafixion fizzled out.

I actually found out about EF at a record shop in Boston. On the pricetag of their first EP someone had written that it featured members of Echo and the Bunnymen. This was before the actual album had come out.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:10 am

lyrics? oo i dunno, no worse than all that 'maybe someday we'll say hi' cack thats on thelast album. I think its a period where the words go with the music, but agree that the singles seemed much better than the album version - i like Lowdown (rest of the trash mix) in particular, & the zephyr version of mirrorball, both are tons better than the album versions - but the differences if you listen to them side by side seem minimal, just the odd line cut or something and I think in mirrorball theres a little twiddly bit where it goes a bit spacey in the middle which makes the whole thing. You with me or am i rambling again, and when I say rambling I dont mean walking in the countryside with a bar of kendal mint cake in my rucky. where was I? Oh yes, in short, zephyr promised alot but it wasn't delivered with the album. I dont think macs that good a lricist anyway really, but the best bits always fit with the music in some weird way. Alot of his seemingly throwaway stuff,lovein veins for e.g., comes across better than the stuff where he appears to be trying really hard to be deep and meaningful - and yet, like all lyricists, thats what he wants to be, with a bit of mystery and 'yes I'm really sensitive' thrown in. and it ills, wills and kills me to say that.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen