Mac/Burgess(Chameleons)-Manchester Ritz 23 May 2008 review

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby JackT » Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 am

Red wrote:
i think that's why i like listening to Sigur Ros so much, because even though he's singing words, i can't understand a damn word he says :lol:

Sometimes he isn't even singing words! I like bands like My Bloody Valentine and Cocteau Twins for similar reasons.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 am

It would be nice to know what Kevin Shields and Belinda Butcher are singing about. For my favorite song "When You Sleep" you can't find definitive lyrics. But I do like bands that tend to focus on the voice as just another instrument. Unless of course the vocalist is very gifted like say Mac in his prime?

When I look at you
Oh, I dont know whats (true)
Once in a while
And you make me laugh

And Ill see (you) tomorrow
And it wont be long
Once in a while
Then you take me down
Then you walk (away)

When you say i do
Oh, I dont (believe) you
I cant forget it
__ ___

When you sleep tomorrow
And it wont be long
Once in a while
When you make me smile
__ _ __ __ __ __ ___
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Red » Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 am

JackT wrote:Sometimes he isn't even singing words!

i know! :wink: but that's what's so cool about it, that the music is still that powerful and emotional when the lyrics mean absolutly nothing!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue May 27, 2008 10:53 am

Red wrote:but that's what's so cool about it, that the music is still that powerful and emotional when the lyrics mean absolutly nothing!

Especially after you've knocked back some vodka. :wink:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Tue May 27, 2008 11:37 am

That's why I like listening to Yannis Parios too. Who knows what he's singing about!
moondance

Postby Kounelaki » Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 am

moondance wrote:That's why I like listening to Yannis Parios too. Who knows what he's singing about!

I do. :mrgreen:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Tue May 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Kounelaki wrote:Especially after you've knocked back some vodka. :wink:

I am shocked and appalled.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Tue May 27, 2008 1:05 pm

moondance wrote:Mac doesn't want to hide in his solo stuff. He expresses his feelings very clearly and poignantly in his solo lyrics as well as he did on Siberia. To each his own but I love his lyrics and his melodies. Will is a master painter with his music as well but does not delve into his own deep feelings and emotions, which Mac prides himself on doing.
There is resentment toward Mac on the part of the fans and it's absolutely disgusting sometimes, the venomous tone that some posters take.

Don't get me wrong Moonie, I love him, and in full flight he's still got it, but I really wish he'd push things at times. I've always had the feeling he's not totally the arrogant jack that he's painted as, he's pretty insecure. But he's his own worst enemy and musically it sometimes winds me up. But that is my humble opinion etc etc
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby kook » Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote: he's not totally the arrogant jack that he's painted as, he's pretty insecure.

Mmmhmmm. That's about right.
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Tue May 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:Don't get me wrong Moonie, I love him, and in full flight he's still got it, but I really wish he'd push things at times. I've always had the feeling he's not totally the arrogant jack that he's painted as, he's pretty insecure. But he's his own worst enemy and musically it sometimes winds me up. But that is my humble opinion etc etc

I agree. He does get in his own way sometimes and I think he gave up and just is coasting along now. Flowers and Slideling sound pretty much defeated to me. He's very sensitive and I think he doesn't feel that any effort that he makes has much of an affect.
moondance

Postby Dave Smith » Tue May 27, 2008 4:23 pm

Re Mac 'filling in with solo'.I really meant to improve his overall mood not to give everyone aural pleasure!Personally I've loved his solo stuff from the first few bars of Flickering Wall to the last few of Stake Your Claim but I realise many people just see it as balladry(which it isnt) and a big turn off.I think Mac is insecure and 'Mac the Mouth' is his defence mechanism.
Mac seems to get the blame for all the Bunnymen's perceived woes but it takes two to tango.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue May 27, 2008 4:40 pm

How about debating the Mac persona v. the Ian reality?

He has asked people to call him "Ian." Yet many continue to refer to him as "Mac." How do you think that makes him feel?
Fish Hook Girl

Postby insanejane » Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:How about debating the Mac persona v. the Ian reality?

He has asked people to call him "Ian." Yet many continue to refer to him as "Mac." How do you think that makes him feel?

Something in the new Indy movie (which blew btw) reminded me of Mac. The character "Mutt" combs his hair with a comb he dipped in someone's Coke glass.
Coca-Cola in the hair was at one time an Ian reality, right? :lol:
insanejane

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue May 27, 2008 5:50 pm

insanejane wrote:Something in the new Indy movie (which blew btw) reminded me of Mac. The character "Mutt" combs his hair with a comb he dipped in someone's Coke glass.
Coca-Cola in the hair was at one time an Ian reality, right? :lol:

Yes. I read that fact somewhere. How many bugs and ants do you think his hair attracted? :lol:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby zabird » Tue May 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Yes. I read that fact somewhere. How many bugs and ants do you think his hair attracted? :lol:

I read that too .... coca-cola, maybe, but only if he didn't have the dippity-do handy? :lol:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen