Mac/Burgess(Chameleons)-Manchester Ritz 23 May 2008 review

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby Dave Smith » Sun May 25, 2008 6:01 am

The Mac solo gig at Cream around that time was brilliant.He just seems so much more...animated when he's just singing his own songs.Waxing lyrical with the crowd,singing like a trooper.....not just rooted to the spot looking miserable.But he cant afford in monetary terms to split the Bunnymen so really its become just like a job to him.Which is pretty much the opinion of most of the fans I'd say.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Mac/Burgess(Chameleons)-Manchester Ritz 23 May 2008 revi

Postby Red » Sun May 25, 2008 7:59 am

Dr Cheese wrote:I know I keep harping on about this but here's yet more evidence that Mac now resents being chained to the Bunnymen! Contradict me if you dare.

yeah, but what did he sing tho? (at a time when he could have sang anything under the sun while the rest of the Bunnymen weren't looking) he still sings Bunnymen songs! :mrgreen: he may want to be solo, but it's also apparent that he knows everyone prefers the Bunnymen! pity he can't be happy enough with that!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun May 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Red wrote:he may want to be solo, but it's also apparent that he knows everyone prefers the Bunnymen!

Cue burning resentment ...
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Sun May 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Dave Smith wrote:He's always looked far happier solo to me.Problem is though he's not a big draw in his own name nor is Will so they soldier on.

I've always thought Will, when it came to listening to other artist's, had better taste in music. I think if you're a musician, your interest in other artist's music definitely has an influence on your own style. I don't like Mac's solo stuff.
insanejane

Postby Dave Smith » Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 am

Which brings us back to exactly what kind of a relationship do Mac and Will have together?I'd say mainly a business one now.They are hardly prolific songwriters together.Mac must have tons of songs stored up.But its the friction between the two thats gives the Bunnymen that spark.Difficult one this.Mac needs to augment the Bunnymen with more solo stuff then hopefully everyone will be happy.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Mon May 26, 2008 5:54 am

Dave Smith wrote:.Mac needs to augment the Bunnymen with more solo stuff then hopefully everyone will be happy.

that was WAYGTDWYL...wouldn't say everyone was happy then!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon May 26, 2008 6:24 am

Dave Smith wrote:Mac needs to augment the Bunnymen with more solo stuff then hopefully everyone will be happy.

Bollocks, an album full of would-be ballads/dirges would be shite.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Mon May 26, 2008 11:40 am

God, it'd be shite.
I always wish Mac wouldve sung on Curvature of the Earth
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Mon May 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:God, it'd be shite.
I always wish Mac wouldve sung on Curvature of the Earth

He never would though because that kind of album is pretty much the opposite of what Mac wants to do since he seems to be fixated with fame and getting a song/album in the top ten.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby moondance » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 pm

I think Mac is more interested in expressing his emotion through words than sounds. He wants to be a great songwriter and IMO he really is. I think people's resentment of him gets in the way of their appreciating his gifts.
moondance

Postby insanejane » Mon May 26, 2008 9:38 pm

moondance wrote:I think Mac is more interested in expressing his emotion through words than sounds. He wants to be a great songwriter and IMO he really is. I think people's resentment of him gets in the way of their appreciating his gifts.

I don't resent him. I think he's one of the most beautiful, extremely attractive, talented artists that ever graced this planet. I just don't like a lot of his solo stuff (lyrics) including Siberia lyrics. He clearly needs Will for guidance. Will is cooler..................mentally. Sorry :eek:
insanejane

Postby black francis » Mon May 26, 2008 10:30 pm

I don't think anyone here resents Mac. We just know what he is capable of and want to see him (and Will) challenging themselves again. Their "B" material is still better than most bands "A" material but being they're the Bunnymen I expect a little more.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby tonywojo » Tue May 27, 2008 3:12 am

They are like chalk and cheese from what we know both in many musical tastes and outlook.

Mac wants to be fs.

Will happy doing his stuff.

But yes they have to pay the bills.

I think that a lot of the solo stuff gives Mac the opportunity to express himslef differently with a far lighter sound and wait for it keyboards.

Each to his own - it really depends what mood you're in.

Mac cant hide in his solo stuff.
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 am

Mac doesn't want to hide in his solo stuff. He expresses his feelings very clearly and poignantly in his solo lyrics as well as he did on Siberia. To each his own but I love his lyrics and his melodies. Will is a master painter with his music as well but does not delve into his own deep feelings and emotions, which Mac prides himself on doing.
There is resentment toward Mac on the part of the fans and it's absolutely disgusting sometimes, the venomous tone that some posters take.
moondance

Postby Red » Tue May 27, 2008 7:12 am

moondance wrote:Will is a master painter with his music as well but does not delve into his own deep feelings and emotions, which Mac prides himself on doing.

oh i dunno.... you don't always need words to express your feelings. some of Will's music is very moving. especially the early stuff! even without words it still makes you feel things. we just don't know what he was feeling when he wrote it because he isn't telling us. (sometimes it may mean nothing at all to him other than he probably just liked the sound it made! :lol: ) but that's why i think it's actually better than words sometimes, because it always makes you feel your own feelings, rather than feelings that someone else wants you to feel.

i think that's why i like listening to Sigur Ros so much, because even though he's singing words, i can't understand a damn word he says :lol: thus making his voice become another musical instrument in the song. in fact, i think they said that's why they did some of their music in a made up language, so people would listen to the music, and not have it mean anything to them except what the music makes them feel! (and their music is extremely powerful and moving!)

instrumental music can be just as powerful as music with lyrics, if not more so! :-)
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen