As Much as we love them are the bunnys still the Bunnymen?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes : 13

Postby King Of Kings » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:29 pm

I still think along with the cure there great, but not what they were, but miles better than coldpaly and radiohead and all the othere trendy crap.

They bunnymen to me were best when they were primevil and mythical. Cyrptic and aloof. Majestic and god like.

Today they are a pleasent reminder of simpler days, long hot summers, magical mystry tours, beer, drugs and girls, sleeping on platforms, hitchicking, funnyhaicuts and long coats.

They can still hit the spot on good nights where Ican escape the pressures of being a middle age git for a couple of hours.

bands just don't have no substance today.
King Of Kings

Postby JackT » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Who are the bunnys?
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:49 pm

I hate these polls.
Fish Hook Girl

Re: As Much as we love them are the bunnys still the Bunnyme

Postby insanejane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 pm

King Of Kings wrote:As Much as we love them are the bunnys still the Bunnymen?

I still think along with the cure there great, but not what they were, but miles better than coldpaly and radiohead and all the othere trendy crap.

They bunnymen to me were best when they were primevil and mythical. Cyrptic and aloof. Majestic and god like.

Today they are a pleasent reminder of simpler days, long hot summers, magical mystry tours, beer, drugs and girls, sleeping on platforms, hitchicking, funnyhaicuts and long coats.

They can still hit the spot on good nights where Ican escape the pressures of being a middle age git for a couple of hours.

bands just don't have no substance today.

I agree that "bands just don't have no substance today" although I can't seem to put my finger on it and find what the reason is why they don't :confused:
There's SO MANY new bands out there but there were a lot in the 60's 70's + 80's too. It just seemed during those decades each one had their own distinct personality or aura.

I just noticed on the other forum that the Bunnymen won # 1 spot in a Rolling Stone poll for best 80's new wave group with New Order coming in 2nd and 8 other groups below them. It's about time!
Listening to Bunnymen albums took you places in your mind and each album had a story behind it. Today every new band recording seems to have no story of interest behind it and all the artists seem dull and boring.

Speaking of a band that took you places in your mind, did you hear that Roger Water's pig escaped from the Coachella festival and there's a $10,000.00!!!! reward for anyone who finds it!? Keep looking up. It's as big as a school bus :eek:
insanejane

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

insanejane wrote: Speaking of a band that took you places in your mind, did you hear that Roger Water's pig escaped from the Coachella festival and there's a $10,000.00!!!! reward for anyone who finds it!? Keep looking up. It's as big as a school bus :eek:

Two families in La Quinta, California, discovered the pig's tattered remains on their driveways but did not immediately realise what it was. The truth dawned on them when they read in the newspaper that Coachella organisers had offered $10,000 (£5,000) in return for the pig, which was emblazoned with slogans such as "Fear Builds Walls" and "Obama". The two families have said they will split the reward.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 pm

[quote="Kounelaki"][/quote]

So it didn't travel very far then. It also read, "Don't be led to the slaughter" ( but we will be if the media has their way) and it had a picture of Uncle Sam with two bloody cleavers. :lol:

Back to the Bunnymen, They're still the best band in the world (imo) with the hottest front man there ever was, even if he hates what he does for a living :wink:
insanejane

Postby zabird » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm

They found the pig! I wonder if Roger Waters & Co. will fess up to the Obama "ticker tape" drop that missed the concert and showered nearby homes, etc. instead :redface:

I will always love the Bunnymen. Hearing them takes me back to a certain time and place (a younger, more carefree Zabird :razz: ). But they transcend that too with their best stuff. I do wish Mac and Will would incorporate the rest of the players into the band. It could be quite interesting ... or not.

As to the music today ... a lot of it seems to be derivative and not very long-lasting (throw-away music for a throw-away world?). Not every band, of course, but when you turn on the radio and hear new or newish bands that sound like the Cure, Depeche Mode, Jesus and Mary Chain and Freddie Mercury, what's that say? :confused:
zabird
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:55 pm

insanejane wrote:So it didn't travel very far then. It also read, "Don't be led to the slaughter" ( but we will be if the media has their way) and it had a picture of Uncle Sam with two bloody cleavers. :lol:

Back to the Bunnymen, They're still the best band in the world (imo) with the hottest front man there ever was, even if he hates what he does for a living :wink:

Is this a new revelation?

That's sad news about the piggie.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby insanejane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:32 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Is this a new revelation?

That's sad news about the piggie.

a new revelation for Mac or for me?

For myself I'd say it's more of an observation than a revelation. :wink: :cool:

I mentioned a while ago in another post where he said ( after taking a very long time to come out on stage) that he was debating whether he should even bother.
insanejane

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:44 pm

insanejane wrote:a new revelation for Mac or for me?

For myself I'd say it's more of an observation than a revelation. :wink: :cool:

I mentioned a while ago in another post where he said ( after taking a very long time to come out on stage) that he was debating whether he should even bother.

I've never gotten the impression that he hates what he does for a living. I wasn't sure if you had read a recent interview that indicated as much.

Maybe the quote you read was said in a more self-deprecating fashion (like "Why should I bother, no one would miss me if i didn't show up -- boo hoo, boo hoo." "Oh no, Mac. You're wrong. Everyone loves you and can't wait to hear you croak your way through another song. Seriously." "Really? They like me? They really like me? Okay then, where's my fist bump?"), rather than being the actual stone cold truth. It's very hard to tell with that Scouse humor. :wink:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:50 pm

The Bunnymen today is Mac front and center and in control. Just look at what's been said about the new album, look at what the avatar is for Bunnymen.com whenever Peter/Bunnymen management post.... The main reason Les quit the band.

I love Mac's vocals, some of his lyrics, but he's also the reason the Bunnymen, since getting back together, haven't put out better albums, IMO.

I still can't wait to hear the new album, though.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby insanejane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:I've never gotten the impression that he hates what he does for a living. I wasn't sure if you had read a recent interview that indicated as much.

Maybe the quote you read was said in a more self-deprecating fashion (like "Why should I bother, no one would miss me if i didn't show up -- boo hoo, boo hoo." "Oh no, Mac. You're wrong. Everyone loves you and can't wait to hear you croak your way through another song. Seriously." "Really? They like me? They really like me? Okay then, where's my fist bump?"), rather than being the actual stone cold truth. It's very hard to tell with that Scouse humor. :wink:

I didn't read the quote. He said it to the audience after I'd flown cross country to see him. It could have been a joke but the band had been out on the stage for what seemed like a long, awkward time before he sauntered out and made that comment.

I LOVE the guy AND Will AND the band. There's no other band I'd rather see or CDs I'd rather listen to.I've just gotten the feeling the past 3 times I've seen them that he could care less if he's there or not. He seems to be all enthusiastic when it comes to interviews or studio time though. Maybe the cool indifference is all an act?

I agree with Zabird. I'd like to see the other members included more. I'd like to read more about them and see them on the album/CD covers.
insanejane

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 pm

insanejane wrote:I didn't read the quote. He said it to the audience after I'd flown cross country to see him. It could have been a joke but the band had been out on the stage for what seemed like a long, awkward time before he sauntered out and made that comment.

I LOVE the guy AND Will AND the band. There's no other band I'd rather see or CDs I'd rather listen to.I've just gotten the feeling the past 3 times I've seen them that he could care less if he's there or not. He seems to be all enthusiastic when it comes to interviews or studio time though. Maybe the cool indifference is all an act?

I agree with Zabird. I'd like to see the other members included more. I'd like to read more about them and see them on the album/CD covers.

Oh, I'm sorry Jane. It is hard to figure out if there's a hidden meaning at times or if he's just in a bad mood. I think I've written before (at least this seems familiar) that if he had come out and said something like that in front of me, I would have thrown something at him. Maybe a beer bottle, or perhaps a shoe. Or a big wad of gum for his hair.

Now that would be a show.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby insanejane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Oh, I'm sorry Jane. It is hard to figure out if there's a hidden meaning at times or if he's just in a bad mood. I think I've written before (at least this seems familiar) that if he had come out and said something like that in front of me, I would have thrown something at him. Maybe a beer bottle, or perhaps a shoe. Or a big wad of gum for his hair.

Now that would be a show.

Yeah, that's exactly what I felt like doing at the time! :lol: But I can't stay mad at him.
insanejane

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu May 01, 2008 2:06 am

zabird wrote:
As to the music today ... a lot of it seems to be derivative and not very long-lasting

Are we talking about the Bunnymen here? :wink:
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen