August 7th: Bunnymen in Utrecht!

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 am

Those YouTube videos are not as good quality as the bootleg I downloaded and while it does have it's ups and downs especially at the beginning I did find myself enjoying songs that traditionally I do not like live such as "Dancing Horses".
As we all know there is also an element of not being there in the moment that gets lost for a live recording and vocals tend to stick out a lot more. Comparing this to bootlegs of the same recorded quality I have heard in the recent years and keeping all this in mind I think it was a pretty good performance.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thin White Devil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 am

You're absolutely right, Brian - and I agree with you on Dancing Horses. For me it was one of the very few setlist choices of the recent gigs that I was never that excited about, as I didn't think they did it well in the earlier years of this millennium - a rare thought for overpositive Bunnymen-adoring me. But this time round I also found myself really enjoying it.
Set sail in those turquoise days!
Thin White Devil

Postby blinkilite » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 am

Mr. Brian wrote:Those YouTube videos are not as good quality as the bootleg I downloaded ...

i don't have a dimeadozen acct. :neutral:
is it worth going through the hassle to download this bootleg show?

also, does anyone have a link to the "proper recorded version" of forgotten fields? i seem to have missed that one.

thx :wink:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby Frank The Bunny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:27 am

Mr. Brian wrote:Those YouTube videos are not as good quality as the bootleg I downloaded and while it does have it's ups and downs especially at the beginning I did find myself enjoying songs that traditionally I do not like live such as "Dancing Horses".

I think one of the differences for me on this particular - the bass is pretty loud in the mix. And whoever's playing bass (I'm sure you'll all tell me) seems to have some Les-flavor to his style.
Also, since the resurgence of 80's sounding bands is in full swing, they keyboards sound fresh. For the past decade it seems that the Bunnymen have apologetically gone for a 60's keyboard sound, rather than the keyboard sound that we're all familiar with on record.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 am

blinkilite wrote:also, does anyone have a link to the "proper recorded version" of forgotten fields? i seem to have missed that one.

I looked again. Hopefully, it still works. "Forgotten Fields" is towards the end of the show.

Radio show
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Crystal Days » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't suppose anyone's clever enough to be able to convert this from an IVR file for us Mac users?
Crystal Days

Postby Frank The Bunny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Crystal Days wrote:I don't suppose anyone's clever enough to be able to convert this from an IVR file for us Mac users?

I've converted to M4A
Will upload tonight, if you like
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Crystal Days » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:I've converted to M4A

Cheers Frank, would really appreciate that.
Crystal Days

Postby blinkilite » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:I've converted to M4A

yes, that would be fab. thanks :cool:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 pm

guitarplayer on here too wrote:Recorded versions. "Think I Need Too" was played on Janice Long's Radio 2 show about a month ago when Mac was supposed to be on there, but had to cancel. "Forgotten Fields" was played on a Brazilian radio show complete with a Mac interview and few acoustic tracks that somebody posted up a link to download over on the dark side.

I was trying to find the link for the "Forgotten Fields" track (it'll be on there somewhere) but can't find it amongst some of the pap that masquerade as forum threads. Seems reciting lyrics from every song on Ocean Rain seem to be the main topics of the day these days.

I much prefer the recorded version of Forgotten Fields over Think I Need It Too the more I listen to them both. Forgotten Fields is pretty awesome, I can't wait to hear a clearer version of it. Think I Need It Too would be so much better if the chorus weren't so annoying, it's pretty lame and almost kills the song, kinda similar to It's Alright (although that was a lot worse, IMO). The rest of the song is great though, I really like the bass riff going through the verse.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:12 am

Agreed there. May even make a better choice for first single, which could still be done as the album has not been released. I think though, for all the earlier concerns that were raised from the live performances of these two tracks and the producer, it does look like The Fountain could end up being the best album that the Mac and Will have done since reforming. Hope the rest is as good.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Crystal Days wrote:Cheers Frank, would really appreciate that.

Sorry I didn't get to it last night. I wound up working open to closing. I'm uploading it right now (megaupload), and will provide the link once it's up
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Sorry I didn't get to it last night. I wound up working open to closing. I'm uploading it right now (megaupload), and will provide the link once it's up

Is this the show from the torrent? If so you didn't attempt to fix the first track if it can be done, did you?(volume was way too loud thus distorted until the guy lowered it) or EQ the tracks in general. Just wondering. Overall it's a great sounding bootleg.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:Is this the show from the torrent? If so you didn't attempt to fix the first track if it can be done, did you?(volume was way too loud thus distorted until the guy lowered it) or EQ the tracks in general. Just wondering. Overall it's a great sounding bootleg.

I screwed with that track, but I couldn't get it. it was maxed. Bringing it down did nothing to make it sound better.
I didn't up the volume level at all or eq the tracks

I screwed around with Rescue, and I think I did a pretty good fix. It's not perfect, but it's not gonna blow out your eardrums either.
I also boosted the volume, but didn't EQ - that's a personal preference thing, and I didn't want to alter the files too much

here's Rescue:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DK4DWO6S

I'm going to volume-adjust the rest of the tracks, and will upload
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:41 pm

The whole show's uploaded now in m4a format.
I messed with "Rescue" to make it more listenable, and increased the volume level on all tracks

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZG2KN6JT
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen