will Sergeant Biography part two out in August

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: will Sergeant Biography part two out in August

Postby fat cherry » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:14 pm

TenNewPence wrote:
fat cherry wrote:are you mad????????? Wait?????? Mines on its way apparently, from some online shop thats apparently an alternative to filling jeff bezos's pockets with even more cash. How cool am I? will be read asap

OK just checked with my therapist and they said I am allowed a couple of chapters before the hols. Sadly I will never be as cool as Mr FC

Flatterer. Lol. Finished it yesterday. Great book. My mate just lent me bonios book. About 60 pages in its living up to my expectations. Certainly lacks sergeants wit, as downbeat as that is sometimes, it still made me laugh. If sarge carries on like this we'll have about 10 volumes by the time he gets to The Fountain.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:50 am

The Monro

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:58 pm

I just started reading it. Good stuff of course. Very funny at times.

One thing though…he mentions the drum machine being called Echo. As I recall he recanted that years ago. He just got tired of being asked by the press “Which one is Echo?” So he made that up and everyone bought it. Unless I missed some other mention of it the book seems to make it “true” again by omission. Unless it comes up again later.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:37 pm

There's a few things in the book that aren't quite as we've been led to believe through old interviews and suchlike - only one I can think of is that back in the day, or maybe just 20 years ago they didn't like touring America, or big tours and likening it to being in the army, yet he describes the first tour of the states as being great and loving the place. Though I'm not sure they ever did the extensive touring that u2 did. Interesting reading bonus book and they were booked on what seems to have been every British band of the 80s first tour, I.e., 6 weeks starting and finishing in new york. Difference being from then on mcguinness had them on for months and months at a time
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:57 pm

fat cherry wrote:There's a few things in the book that aren't quite as we've been led to believe through old interviews and suchlike - only one I can think of is that back in the day, or maybe just 20 years ago they didn't like touring America, or big tours and likening it to being in the army, yet he describes the first tour of the states as being great and loving the place. Though I'm not sure they ever did the extensive touring that u2 did. Interesting reading bonus book and they were booked on what seems to have been every British band of the 80s first tour, I.e., 6 weeks starting and finishing in new york. Difference being from then on mcguinness had them on for months and months at a time

I believe you are correct. The HUH tour was just a few weeks in my recollection of history. I might be wrong but it definitely wasn't the constant touring the U2 did at that time. The US is a big market and to conquer America is to conquer the world for album sales. U2 knew that. The Beatles, Stones, etc. Led Zeppelin practically lived in the US with so much touring that they were shunned back at home for a while. Of course just as the Bunnymen started to break America beyond the college radio scene, Mac split to be on his own. It'll be interesting to see how Will recollects the first end times of the band in the next book.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Monro » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:12 am

fat cherry wrote:There's a few things in the book that aren't quite as we've been led to believe through old interviews and suchlike - only one I can think of is that back in the day, or maybe just 20 years ago they didn't like touring America, or big tours and likening it to being in the army, yet he describes the first tour of the states as being great and loving the place. Though I'm not sure they ever did the extensive touring that u2 did. Interesting reading bonus book and they were booked on what seems to have been every British band of the 80s first tour, I.e., 6 weeks starting and finishing in new york. Difference being from then on mcguinness had them on for months and months at a time

Will & Bill Drummond talked about this when I saw them at the Rough Trade event recently. Drummond says it was his idea for them to tour in Europe more with the idea being that once they were established there, then America would be easier to conquer - which he fully admitted was a big mistake. Will loved America (and still does) but didn’t like the length of the tour as it was six weeks on a bus with only a couple of beds and only one overnight hotel stay per week. In fact, when the tour was finished he stayed on for another 3 weeks as he was having such a good time with his ex-girlfriend’s dealer. Not because he was consuming what this bloke was selling, more the fact that he got invited to the best parties and got into the best clubs. As you might expect from Will, he wasn’t arsed about cracking America and was more concerned with doing what he thought was the right thing for the band.
The Monro

Postby Aigburth Drive » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:42 pm

Which years does the second book cover?
Aigburth Drive
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby The Monro » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:53 pm

It finishes in Spring 1982 and covers the recording of Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here.
The Monro

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen