Youth on Meteorites

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Youth on Meteorites

Postby NOF » Sat May 27, 2023 4:33 pm

https://www.facebook.com/martin.glover.50/posts/pfbid022V77LodE3cShhYdGkM8x5Sju1TGQ95cEv17QqZX4RoYGewtwrjAVhJNW5JCRvMKWl

Exceptional record. Great experience producing this.
Why does Liverpool create such incredible artists and bands ? Is it because she’s a city made of ‘heads’? People obsessed with music, or is it because shes the first port of call from America or the Irish influence? Or the warm hearts, maybe the hard and sharp gallows humour! Probably all these things and more …
Ian has a beautiful voice, a deep baritone that seduces you into the dark sublime and is an incredible writer, his lyrics turn all the hurt and pain into poetry and his performances are legendary.
The band and guitarist Will Sargent, are very influential and Ian is rightly considered one of the greatest singers in the world and Will one of the greatest guitarists. Working with artists of this caliber is a privilege and a huge educational trip.
They are Gods in America.
This wasn’t an easy album to make but it’s one of their best. Ian is challenging and comes with a fierce reputation but also a big heart of gold.
We agreed on most things except live drums, Ian was adamant it should all be drum machines …I made a tough call and added them just in case, In the end Ian loved them and they stayed.
Producing great albums is not easy, which is why there aren’t that many great producers or albums out there at any given moment in time, it can also be a thankless endeavour and a cold caress, even when it’s a hit ( not in this case) but that’s not why we do it, we do it to help facilitate and create incredibly beautiful music into a world that can be overwhelming without it.
Essentially I’m a writer/producer, ( so my late manager Jaz Summers informed me) but whether I’m writing, producing or both, I give %100. ( not every artist asks me to co write and I respect that and as a general philosophy I never ask for it unless it’s been offered )
I’m honoured to play bass on this and co-write others on the album including this classic.
( Additional album production Andrea Wright )
This one Is for all the lovers out there ❤️
NOF

Re: Youth on Meteorites

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 am

"Exceptional"? "Classic"? the Youth of today eh, they don't half go overboard. :rolleyes:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lapurdi » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:07 am

I mean, I'd definitely consider myself one of the youth of today and a big EATB fan (am 21 years old, got into EATB when I was 16 through YouTube suggestion), but I've always preferred the sound and performance of their first five-six studio albums and their 80s era concerts. I saw them live last year though and they hold up pretty well live over 40 years later.
Lapurdi
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:06 pm

I occasionally wonder how it all divvies up if you multi task on a record, do you get fees for each bit or do you just get the big fat fee you quoted at the start. Thoughbi don't lie awake at night trying to fathom it out. You'd think hooky would have mentioned this in his book.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:09 pm

Lapurdi wrote:I mean, I'd definitely consider myself one of the youth of today and a big EATB fan (am 21 years old, got into EATB when I was 16 through YouTube suggestion), but I've always preferred the sound and performance of their first five-six studio albums and their 80s era concerts. I saw them live last year though and they hold up pretty well live over 40 years later.

Leaning against an open door here. There's odd songs on the newer albums but mostly not so good. I think the first two on meteorites I'm thinking, hmm, return to form here, and then it went to shite. Also, you can't trust producers or bands on what they say about their records.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:36 am

Something totally off on the mastering of that album.Sounds like a bass filter was left on by mistake. Way too trebly and compressed. Gives you a headache!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:54 am

It's OK smiff, the tenth anniversary re-release on 180g iron coloured vinyl with special notes by this 'youth' bloke will fix that. Plus well have more of a lowdown (see what I did there) from Bunnyman' volume 25.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Lapurdi » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:09 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Something totally off on the mastering of that album.Sounds like a bass filter was left on by mistake. Way too trebly and compressed. Gives you a headache!

Reminds me of the Bunnymen's studio misfortunes issues in the late 80s, the demo tracks for their self-titled LP sound completely different (see ) compared to what Latham and Lampcov did with mixing on the finished album, which sounds good but too overproduced compared to earlier outings.
Lapurdi
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen