Macs gone all Phil Collins

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Macs gone all Phil Collins

Postby oceanbrain » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:15 pm

oceanbrain

Re: Macs gone all Phil Collins

Postby fat cherry » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Looks more like Dave Allen
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:48 am

Needs a ventriloquist's doll on his knee.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stars Are Stars » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:17 am

Think these antics would go over well in the UK or Europe? I was just listening to Crocodiles the other day. I couldn’t remember what the original versions sounded like after a couple decades of changing the style. Long gone are the days of the bright guitar tones. They’ve since become heavy and dull. Was also wondering why they never continued as a four piece band and just have occasional keys.
Stars Are Stars

Postby fat cherry » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:41 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:Needs a ventriloquist's doll on his knee.

That was Ray Allen wasn't it? Not that its not a bad idea - Little Mac is now going to sing Going Up whilst I neck a bottle of tia marie and night nurse. Mind you - Little Mac conjures up visions I dont want in my head.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:44 am

Stars Are Stars wrote:Think these antics would go over well in the UK or Europe? I was just listening to Crocodiles the other day. I couldn’t remember what the original versions sounded like after a couple decades of changing the style. Long gone are the days of the bright guitar tones. They’ve since become heavy and dull. Was also wondering why they never continued as a four piece band and just have occasional keys.

Well they had Jake playing guitar/keys or whatever in the 80s at some point - I think when Mac decided to stop slinging his guitar around his back and put it down altogether. I prefer the heavier version of Lips - though take your point generally. Bit of space would be cool.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stars Are Stars » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 am

fat cherry wrote:Well they had Jake playing guitar/keys or whatever in the 80s at some point - I think when Mac decided to stop slinging his guitar around his back and put it down altogether. I prefer the heavier version of Lips - though take your point generally. Bit of space would be cool.

Cheers for that. I was remembering those days but forgot about the dynamics. I think they did heavy and space well about 10-20 years ago. That period.

Has to be awkward for the audience to sit (stand) through this.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8cyoXOLmnTw
Stars Are Stars

Postby crystal89 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:23 am

You know I watched some of the videos, and it actually made me sad, so I stopped watching.
crystal89

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:05 am

fat cherry wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:Needs a ventriloquist's doll on his knee.

That was Ray Allen wasn't it? Not that its not a bad idea - Little Mac is now going to sing Going Up whilst I neck a bottle of tia marie and night nurse. Mind you - Little Mac conjures up visions I dont want in my head.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tapebias » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:18 pm

Looks more like Val Doonican. Havent seen them since the Grey album tour but saw Macull solo, also but my Will's Bunnyman book is missing lettere F & L, anyone else?
tapebias
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm

This is exactly what I said to my friend Jim at the start of the Boston show last week at HOB. I'm going to hold back on severe judgement since I don't know what is going on with Ian. But getting up for the last few songs didn't really make up for the extended sitdown. I'm not saying he sounded bad but it was sad to watch. The band sounded great from start to finish. :biggrin:

I was pumped to get a signed copy of Will's book finally!
"Words are alright as words but never let them get in the way."-Charles Bukowski
earthdog70

Postby Stars Are Stars » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:34 am

earthdog70 wrote:This is exactly what I said to my friend Jim at the start of the Boston show last week at HOB. I'm going to hold back on severe judgement since I don't know what is going on with Ian. But getting up for the last few songs didn't really make up for the extended sitdown. I'm not saying he sounded bad but it was sad to watch. The band sounded great from start to finish. :biggrin:

I was pumped to get a signed copy of Will's book finally!

Was he just getting used to the chair or could you tell if he was in bad shape? The in-between song ramblings were sad, in my opinion. Couldn’t make out one single word sometimes. I also thought the bottle of Pepto Bismol on the table was a real highlight. I remember seeing one photo and there was even the little cap you drink out of sat next to it.

Maybe Will had to cut costs on his books so some letters had to be given up. I’ve never seen paper that thin before. Thought I got a dodgy copy but apparently they’re all like that.
Stars Are Stars

Postby black francis » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:49 am

Mac is on autopilot live and in regards to songwriting. Writes an interesting verse and the chorus is just singing the song title five times or so. Will needs to reassert himself and soon.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen