Is Mac OK?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Is Mac OK?

Postby TenNewPence » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:10 pm

What confuses me is how does this tour and others get put together if Mac is in a bad way health wise. I remember the article in Mojo or Uncut a while back about him living in a bed sit or such like. I read Roger Daltrey's book how when John Entwhistle died shortly before a tour all the insurance hassles etc. I am slightly curious maybe unsure of how the music industry and bands function. Appreciate some enlightenment
TenNewPence

Postby allthatjazz » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:29 am

They seem to have figured out some solutions....A shortened setlist, more sing-a-longs, a barstool, and an arms length cocktail cart on wheels. So far, so good. As another Liverpudlian band has sung before any of this...."Whatever gets you through the night...."
allthatjazz

Postby allthatjazz » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:07 pm

I'm left with more questions than answers but they tried. https://twitter.com/OfficialIanMac/stat ... SWSY1KtRCQ
allthatjazz

Postby fat cherry » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:34 am

allthatjazz wrote: a barstool"

Just seen some pictures of that - I think he manages to pull it off. Who was it started the latest rock star sitting down craze, axl rose, or Phil Collins. The audience will be sitting next.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:26 am

think that tweety things gone now - classic buns really, didn't know he hed covid? :eek:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby King Of Kings » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:14 am

Poor Mac
King Of Kings

Postby fat cherry » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:51 am

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Bizarre tour.Anyone buying the covid bullshit?lolol. It just sounds not right .Mac guant and ill.Sgt Fuzz has lost his ...fuzz.Sgt No Distortion. The keyboard player is like Les Dawson

Just come home and get Mac down the doctors please.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stars Are Stars » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Bizarre tour.Anyone buying the covid bullshit?lolol. It just sounds not right .Mac guant and ill.Sgt Fuzz has lost his ...fuzz.Sgt No Distortion. The keyboard player is like Les Dawson

Just come home and get Mac down the doctors please.

Not buying it. Everyone else in the band seems to be fine. Wouldn’t at least one of them have gotten covid too for being that close to him (crew)? Sarge is on his jollies celebrating like it’s the best gigs he’s ever done. His playing has gone pop and his dipping and dancing when he does some of the parts is very bizarre. And what’s happening with the Elton John sounding keys? They resemble Saturday Night’s Alright in the Philadelphia clip above.

Something’s wrong with Mac. I don’t think they’ll go home if there’s money to be made. Did you see the £5 pins they’re peddling now? Every time you turn around, they’re asking for the public to buy something else.
Stars Are Stars

Postby Stars Are Stars » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:46 am

fat cherry wrote:

Just seen some pictures of that - I think he manages to pull it off. Who was it started the latest rock star sitting down craze, axl rose, or Phil Collins. The audience will be sitting next.

It’s giving Weekend At Bernie’s vibes where the guy is dead but they prop him up and carry on like nothing’s wrong. It’s enlightening to see how the rest of them are as people if no one is stepping up to say there’s a problem.
Stars Are Stars

Postby The Monro » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:48 am

In LA the other night they did an instrumental (actually a pretty good cover of Roy Budd’s theme to Get Carter) so that Mac could take a break:

The Monro

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:17 am

Stars Are Stars wrote:
fat cherry wrote:

It’s giving Weekend At Bernie’s vibes where the guy is dead but they prop him up and carry on like nothing’s wrong. It’s enlightening to see how the rest of them are as people if no one is stepping up to say there’s a problem.

Glad its not just me who
1) Cant understand Will these days. Endless photos of food. Every soundcheck "fantastic". Then clearly he's phoning in his performance with guitar playing more like Britney Spears hired hands. What happened to the noise??? Bizarre.
2) Recognises they are sending Mac out because they need the money. Simple. Play the sympathy vote before the big LA gigs. Its not Co...vid that's caught up with him its decades of Co...caine. He needs to get clean of drugs and booze. Seriously ill.
3) The keyboards are shit. No excuses. They sound like a casio keyboard stuck on bossanova setting.
4) Rest of the band in it for the ride.

This isnt the Bunnymen sound or attitude.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:52 am

The Monro wrote:In LA the other night they did an instrumental (actually a pretty good cover of Roy Budd’s theme to Get Carter) so that Mac could take a break:

That's about the coolest thing they've done in years. Ought to do a couple more.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stars Are Stars » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:08 am

fat cherry wrote:
The Monro wrote:In LA the other night they did an instrumental (actually a pretty good cover of Roy Budd’s theme to Get Carter) so that Mac could take a break:

That's about the coolest thing they've done in years. Ought to do a couple more.

So basically 40 Years of Magical Songs has turned into concerts they can’t even finish but they’re now doing tv show themes...
Stars Are Stars

Postby Stars Are Stars » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:38 am

Dave Smith wrote:Glad its not just me who
1) Cant understand Will these days. Endless photos of food. Every soundcheck "fantastic". Then clearly he's phoning in his performance with guitar playing more like Britney Spears hired hands. What happened to the noise??? Bizarre.
2) Recognises they are sending Mac out because they need the money. Simple. Play the sympathy vote before the big LA gigs. Its not Co...vid that's caught up with him its decades of Co...caine. He needs to get clean of drugs and booze. Seriously ill.
3) The keyboards are shit. No excuses. They sound like a casio keyboard stuck on bossanova setting.
4) Rest of the band in it for the ride.

This isnt the Bunnymen sound or attitude.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, Buns management gave a shout out on Twitter to the clothes companies Ian has been wearing. It can’t be more blatant than that. The man can’t even speak legibly between songs and can’t finish shows but have a look at where his shirt and pants come from. It just keeps getting weirder by the day.

Will’s social media presence isn’t what I would’ve expected. He used to have a real cool vibe before (going online) but now he seems confused and over compensating for something. Can’t put my finger on it.

You hit the nail on the head with everyone being in it for the ride. I feel for Ian as it surely doesn’t look like anyone cares about his well-being. Just prop him up on a stool, give him a table he can lean on and he’ll be fine.
Stars Are Stars

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen