Is Mac OK?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Is Mac OK?

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:00 am

Just can't do it...I thought if they made it here I might take a tour. See them at some nearby cities; Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh .Maybe all three. But, I just can't. Of all the reasons I thought I might not get to see them this tour, I never thought it would be a lack of desire. But, I don't want to sit through 50 agonizing minutes of Mac struggling to hit the notes. And, worrying about whether he might pass out or projectile vomit as he did in Atlanta. It's like they're all riding that once prized race horse for one last payday. And it's not fair to anyone, least of all the horse. I think I know why they would proceed in the U.S. and not Europe. Europeans simply wouldn't stand for this. Taking advantage of that good ole yankee spirit. Nope, no thanks. And where's that ever elusive album of original songs? I think Les, had the right idea. He didn't want to do this later in life and found something he loved as much as music, building boats. He's my favorite follow on Twitter. He's living right!
allthatjazz

Postby Stars Are Stars » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:15 pm

TenNewPence wrote:What confuses me is how does this tour and others get put together if Mac is in a bad way health wise. I remember the article in Mojo or Uncut a while back about him living in a bed sit or such like. I read Roger Daltrey's book how when John Entwhistle died shortly before a tour all the insurance hassles etc. I am slightly curious maybe unsure of how the music industry and bands function. Appreciate some enlightenment

Have they been dropped from the new label they were on yet? The missed shows may not bode well but then again, they aren’t touring with anything new. Rather, the Get Carter theme, Walk on the Wild Side and Roadhouse Blues out of the 14-17 songs that they’re doing now. Anyone know why Mac has to keep taking breaks during the sets even after sitting down the whole time?
Stars Are Stars

Postby fat cherry » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:40 pm

Stars Are Stars wrote:
fat cherry wrote:
The Monro wrote:In LA the other night they did an instrumental (actually a pretty good cover of Roy Budd’s theme to Get Carter) so that Mac could take a break:

That's about the coolest thing they've done in years. Ought to do a couple more.

So basically 40 Years of Magical Songs has turned into concerts they can’t even finish but they’re now doing tv show themes...

as Mac would have said, sorry might have said in a parallel universe, its a bunnymwen thing to do :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Glad its not just me who
1) Cant understand Will these days. Endless photos of food. Every soundcheck "fantastic". Then clearly he's phoning in his performance with guitar playing more like Britney Spears hired hands. What happened to the noise??? Bizarre.
2) Recognises they are sending Mac out because they need the money. Simple. Play the sympathy vote before the big LA gigs. Its not Co...vid that's caught up with him its decades of Co...caine. He needs to get clean of drugs and booze. Seriously ill.
3) The keyboards are shit. No excuses. They sound like a casio keyboard stuck on bossanova setting.
4) Rest of the band in it for the ride.
This isnt the Bunnymen sound or attitude.

Not sure who I'm replying to here - so I'm picking on you Dave, lol. And I kind of disagree, the whole thing is classic bunnymen - or fuck up, choose your words. Not sure who 'they' are, I'm still kind of in the camp of Mac's in charge and 'they' are the yes men he seems to have surrounded himself with since reformation 20-odd years ago. Maybe he is ill and maybe he isn't, I have no idea, apart from walking off stage to chuck up seems to indicate a yes he is. That stupid tweet about covid - classic bunnymen in that nobody has the faintest idea about PR. But remember the coachella thing where Mac stomps off stage and the rest of the band stand there wondering what to do and then follow - so sticking in an instrumental theme song seems pretty cool to me - the fact that the old git allows that. Oh and when the singer left - they got another one?

As for Will, its how he makes a living and he's fairly open about that - not allowed to do any writing any more etc. The fact he's still doing side projects is great - always a chance of something interesting and As the americans say, I could care less about pictures of his dogs or his tea. He's still kind of a cool bloke - only let on his missis died like about six or seven years after the fact - must have sent him flying that one, looking after his girls and suchlike, whilst bonking some califiornian bird. Dark horse. If he's suddenly Mr Enthusiastic - but wierd, but you know. And of course the hired hands are in for the ride.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:01 pm

....... and can't believe I'm still fanboying at this age, .... :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:25 pm

fat cherry wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:Glad its not just me who
1) Cant understand Will these days. Endless photos of food. Every soundcheck "fantastic". Then clearly he's phoning in his performance with guitar playing more like Britney Spears hired hands. What happened to the noise??? Bizarre.
2) Recognises they are sending Mac out because they need the money. Simple. Play the sympathy vote before the big LA gigs. Its not Co...vid that's caught up with him its decades of Co...caine. He needs to get clean of drugs and booze. Seriously ill.
3) The keyboards are shit. No excuses. They sound like a casio keyboard stuck on bossanova setting.
4) Rest of the band in it for the ride.
This isnt the Bunnymen sound or attitude.

Not sure who I'm replying to here - so I'm picking on you Dave, lol. And I kind of disagree, the whole thing is classic bunnymen - or fuck up, choose your words. Not sure who 'they' are, I'm still kind of in the camp of Mac's in charge and 'they' are the yes men he seems to have surrounded himself with since reformation 20-odd years ago. Maybe he is ill and maybe he isn't, I have no idea, apart from walking off stage to chuck up seems to indicate a yes he is. That stupid tweet about covid - classic bunnymen in that nobody has the faintest idea about PR. But remember the coachella thing where Mac stomps off stage and the rest of the band stand there wondering what to do and then follow - so sticking in an instrumental theme song seems pretty cool to me - the fact that the old git allows that. Oh and when the singer left - they got another one?

As for Will, its how he makes a living and he's fairly open about that - not allowed to do any writing any more etc. The fact he's still doing side projects is great - always a chance of something interesting and As the americans say, I could care less about pictures of his dogs or his tea. He's still kind of a cool bloke - only let on his missis died like about six or seven years after the fact - must have sent him flying that one, looking after his girls and suchlike, whilst bonking some califiornian bird. Dark horse. If he's suddenly Mr Enthusiastic - but wierd, but you know. And of course the hired hands are in for the ride.

I can take it lol
Such a difference from the Feb uk tour this year though. Just falling apart in the US
But FC the Keyboards are terrible lolol
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Psychedelicfur » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:03 pm

fat cherry wrote:

Hi FC, small world and news travels fast! Didn’t Dave already warn you I show up on this page sometimes? :biggrin: Maybe you forgot. Well another member on here sent the above to me and I’m the “some Californian bird” you speak of. The context to which you refer me to is is pretty disappointing. Btw, you got a bit of info wrong in what you wrote. Not for me to explain which segments.

Please have some respect for others as they are real people too. This is the first time I’ve read through the thread and I’m not here to take any of the band members down for their shortcomings and a really bad situation they’ve got themselves in. What I will happily do is share some info about me so you can relate me to a real human being and not some random “bird”. I’m still promoting the band in a good light for they were a part of my life for about 10 years. You can do the math. Hope you enjoy my work. https://bunniwojnar.com/
Psychedelicfur

Postby fat cherry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:18 am

I do recall of course. So you've got a little friend looking after your interests- we could all do with one of them I suppose, though if one of my mates came running to tell me someone's said a rude thing about me on the internet I'd suggest they get a life. So I apologise for the inappropriate language - but in a way on an old time forum such as this you are kind of a random 'person' on the internet who I know no more about than Dave - though he's a bad example because he's occasionally overshared, haha, soz to you too Dave. My point was - oh no, can't be arsed.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:20 am

.... and yes, lovely pictures.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Psychedelicfur » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:18 am

fat cherry wrote:I do recall of course. So you've got a little friend looking after your interests- we could all do with one of them I suppose, though if one of my mates came running to tell me someone's said a rude thing about me on the internet I'd suggest they get a life. So I apologise for the inappropriate language - but in a way on an old time forum such as this you are kind of a random 'person' on the internet who I know no more about than Dave - though he's a bad example because he's occasionally overshared, haha, soz to you too Dave. My point was - oh no, can't be arsed.

Thanks for the apology. It’s definitely nice to have friends and luckily I don’t have a lot of things said like that about me on the internet which is indeed why Will kept his private life under wraps for decades, for everyone’s sake, and you can now see why. While I may be random to the page, I’m not random to 10 years of madness. It’s best to tread lightly when speaking of someone wife dying then try to predict what else is going on. Seems like there’s a lot of that out there now. I’m blaming it on the hot weather.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. There’s a lot going on at the moment but it will be nice to show them at some point in some manner. They were taken when they did shows that went off without a hitch. Seems like that’s a thing of the past now. Some friends that went to the recent concerts, the ones that weren’t cancelled, said it was a completely different experience to the shows I’ve invited them to over the years. Some of our east coast friends are bailing on going as they want to remember them the last way they saw them. Shame.

Dave, 2,000 photos of tea has always been quite norm! It’s funny to hear how they’ve now made their way onto the internet. :biggrin: That made me laugh!
Psychedelicfur

Postby The Monro » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:55 pm

Stars Are Stars wrote:Have they been dropped from the new label they were on yet? The missed shows may not bode well but then again, they aren’t touring with anything new. Rather, the Get Carter theme, Walk on the Wild Side and Roadhouse Blues out of the 14-17 songs that they’re doing now. Anyone know why Mac has to keep taking breaks during the sets even after sitting down the whole time?

There is one new song - ‘Brussels Is Haunted', which I’m hoping will sound better when recorded in a studio as it’s not particularly memorable at the moment.
The Monro

Postby Dave Smith » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:29 pm

fat cherry wrote:I do recall of course. So you've got a little friend looking after your interests- we could all do with one of them I suppose, though if one of my mates came running to tell me someone's said a rude thing about me on the internet I'd suggest they get a life. So I apologise for the inappropriate language - but in a way on an old time forum such as this you are kind of a random 'person' on the internet who I know no more about than Dave - though he's a bad example because he's occasionally overshared, haha, soz to you too Dave. My point was - oh no, can't be arsed.

Never said a word to anyone!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stars Are Stars » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:36 pm

The Monro wrote:
There is one new song - ‘Brussels Is Haunted', which I’m hoping will sound better when recorded in a studio as it’s not particularly memorable at the moment.

I tried listening to one of the live versions. Couldn’t make it past 20 seconds and that’s being generous. Maybe no new music is a good thing if they can’t through the old stuff.
Stars Are Stars

Postby Stars Are Stars » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/08/30/ ... kland/amp/

Still not sure how Mac and Will think they’re doing fantastic yet the reviews sure do prove otherwise.
Stars Are Stars

Postby allthatjazz » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:58 pm

https://www.laweekly.com/echo-the-bunny ... r-la-show/

Fair review of their performance in Los Angeles...
allthatjazz

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen