Is Mac OK?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Is Mac OK?

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:41 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Something not right I agree .Mac looks and sounds disorientated to me ..worrying.Check out bedbugs. Its like hes there..but not there .

He sounded like he was having a breakdown during the Crocs/HUH show. Really odd.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am

all_my_colours3 wrote:I must be getting a different feed as the vocals sound off in a lot of places and the sound drops out on one or two of the songs. Somehow they keep getting more and more pop and . They can’t possibly play in the daylight anymore. This is depressing.

Just been having another look - looks windy up there - might explain sound dropping out. Will's twitter has a bit of film of his amp falling over and a mad panic by roadies. Was like that (windy that is) yonks ago at finsbury park, pissed it down all day, sound was shite and the canopy over the stage kept filling up with water and then emptying itself all over the first ten rows. And then just before NO came on the gods looked kindly and the sun came out and it was brill.

all_my_colours3 wrote:Will is dancing like no one is watching, except we all are

Love that!
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:50 am

all_my_colours3 wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:Something not right I agree .Mac looks and sounds disorientated to me ..worrying.Check out bedbugs. Its like hes there..but not there .

The photos on Instagram have since been taken down.

Dunno why people do that. Not as if it wasn't a pretty picture. Maybe mac didn't like it.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:11 am

Maybe he saw this and was just overwhelmed/crapping himself. And no its not the bloke I thought on keyboards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeoafzpMIjf ... _copy_link
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby oceanbrain » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:17 pm

Fellow scouser & 80yrs young Mr McCartney is currently on tour is doing 37 song set.....just saying.......whether u like his output or not that takes some doing yeah?????
oceanbrain

Postby all_my_colours3 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 am

fat cherry wrote:
:biggrin:

Maybe he saw this and was just overwhelmed/crapping himself. And no its not the bloke I thought on keyboards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeoafzpMIjf ... _copy_link

This is yet another reason to not go and see them in the daylight.

I preferred the last keyboard player before this one. In Feb, the keys were popping off all over the place. Was a little too sparkly for my taste. The last guy didn’t overdo it.

They have to be in their last 1-2 years with all of this. Ian looks like something is wrong, the vocals are going south and they can’t seem to tour anymore. Everything keeps getting cancelled. Did anyone buy one of those t-shirts with the concert dates printed on them for the shows that never happened?

Stones and McCartney have great stamina for their age. They really show up younger bands. We can’t get more than a little over an hour with the Buns whereas the aforementioned play for 2-3 hours. I see Mick just caught covid. Hopefully he’ll recover ok.
all_my_colours3

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm

This has probably been said a thousand times but I know that this forum gets a bad rap for being a bunch of Debbie Downers. Also some may remember that this very forum was born out the official forum always being down and "reset" as well as censorship of any criticism of the band.

We all want the best for the Bunnymen or we wouldn't be here. Personally I'm not asking them to be the '82 version or whatever any more than you'd expect the Stones to be the '68 version of themselves. The vocalist has the toughest gig when it comes to aging and no one expects Mac to yip and growl and bellow and croon like ye olden days but man please go see a vocal coach or something and learn how to work with what you have (left). There was a time when I would drive 4 hours to see them. I've taken two flights to see them. But not anymore, its too unpredictable.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby all_my_colours3 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:15 am

Nicely put Mr. Brian. Do you remember that article in Mojo (?) where he talks about his life and he sounds disheveled outside of the shows? Would his ego be able handle a vocal coach? I think any normal singer might try it. The vocals have been ropey as of late. It’s all over the place.
all_my_colours3

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:45 am

all_my_colours3 wrote:Nicely put Mr. Brian. Do you remember that article in Mojo (?) where he talks about his life and he sounds disheveled outside of the shows? Would his ego be able handle a vocal coach? I think any normal singer might try it. The vocals have been ropey as of late. It’s all over the place.

I don’t recall that but it sounds about right. COVID must have also been a terrible strain on someone like him on many levels.
I’ve never found a link or article to verify but someone told me several years ago that Adam Clayton took bass lessons at the peak of U2 fame because he realized all he could play was U2 songs. That’s a bit different but the point is his ego allowed it.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby all_my_colours3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:03 am

It was Mojo or one of the other magazines. I think it was discussed on here when it came out years ago. I remember the journalist was even shocked at Ian’s lifestyle as it was in shambles. It looked like covid affected all of the musicians I follow online. A lot of the ones in the same genre were breaking down. The overcompensation on socials screamed loneliness. All in all, it was pretty bizarre. I would’ve thought it would have been a reality check on some of their ego’s but there are still a few who feel we need to know everything about them.

Have you seen Adam Clayton recently? He looked like a cross between Will and Julian Assange. I keep forgetting most of them are in their young 60s. They look about 75. These last two years were not kind.

U2 get a bad rap sometimes, understandably so, but I’ve also seen some interviews where they were quite humble as well.
all_my_colours3

Postby all_my_colours3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 am

That’s the one. Cheers for that! Somehow I thought it was an older magazine but I forgot it was for the reworked album. 2018? The manager said The Stars, The Oceans & The Moon was an Ian album and let it go on like that. It said he was meant to be watching over Ian outside of it all but it didn’t sound too good. Add on covid/lockdown like Mr Brian said, it must've taken its toll.
all_my_colours3

Postby allthatjazz » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:55 am

Mac would obviously benefit from a vocal coach. People complained he was off key several times at Anfield. Hence the sing-a-longs. Voice lessons aren't likely since he's rarely shown up for sound check. The closest Mac has ever come to doing something to train his voice is he used to do solo shows ahead of a tour...He did just announce a solo concert. I think that's his practice round before hitting the road,

Not sure Covid would have impacted him that much other than financially. Mac was always very reclusive so in that regard there was little change for him.

Hoping for the best on their U.S. tour, but I'm not buying a ticket until their plane actually lands stateside. Especially since wherever I see them it will require travel and a hotel stay. They've been too erratic. Don't they still owe some shows in Europe?

People were disappointed they didn't show for Cruel World Fest. Glad we asked for a refund after the first one was cancelled. Especially since the only plausible reason for their cancellation was a footie match...again. You might get away with it in your prime, but at this stage it shows little concern for a diminishing fan base.
allthatjazz

Postby all_my_colours3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:42 am

allthatjazz wrote:Mac would obviously benefit from a vocal coach. People complained he was off key several times at Anfield. Hence the sing-a-longs. Voice lessons aren't likely since he's rarely shown up for sound check. The closest Mac has ever come to doing something to train his voice is he used to do solo shows ahead of a tour...He did just announce a solo concert. I think that's his practice round before hitting the road,

Not sure Covid would have impacted him that much other than financially. Mac was always very reclusive so in that regard there was little change for him.

Hoping for the best on their U.S. tour, but I'm not buying a ticket until their plane actually lands stateside. Especially since wherever I see them it will require travel and a hotel stay. They've been too erratic. Don't they still owe some shows in Europe?

People were disappointed they didn't show for Cruel World Fest. Glad we asked for a refund after the first one was cancelled. Especially since the only plausible reason for their cancellation was a footie match...again. You might get away with it in your prime, but at this stage it shows little concern for a diminishing fan base.

Vocals have been dodgy since earlier this year. They looked lost and confused on the stage at Anfield from the videos.

It’s one thing to be a recluse, but staying in a bare house for two years+ without anyone pumping up your ego might be difficult. This is why others spiraling out of control, a “look at me, look at me” kind of thing on social media. Speculation for the cancellation was the vaccination mandate by the US. I recall matches and shows being on the same day. Was never a problem. Plus you wouldn’t cancel after not making any money for years.

Good idea on waiting to buy your ticket.
all_my_colours3

Postby allthatjazz » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Nah...Not buying the vaccine excuse. If you don't have a Covid vaccine you go and get one. It's not like applying for a passport where there's some wait involved.
allthatjazz

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen