Another distuctive Interview by Will

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby King Of Kings » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 am

https://trouserpress.com/will-sergeant- ... -bunnymen/

Kinda kills the bunny men once and for all

I actually think looking too deep into the dymamics of any band kind spoils the pedistals we used to put them on
King Of Kings

Re: Another distuctive Interview by Will

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 pm

King Of Kings wrote:
I actually think looking too deep into the dymamics of any band kind spoils the pedistals we used to put them on

I tend to agree with this. I also recall that My White Devil lyrics were based off Mac just randomly picking up a book that his girlfriend had around and the press thought he was some kind of deep literary thinker. So did I, until I read about that!
Will admits that it was a studio engineer that came up with the main Killing Moon riff and not Will. He just pieced together some things that Will had been noodling around with while the tape was running. I wish I never knew that!
However...I think stuff like that probably happens more than we think.

I can't blame Will for just going along for the ride at this point in life. What else is he going to do? The Bunnymen are his paycheck and as long as people keep coming to shows, why not? I think it was also Mac who was shocked to find out that Will barely touches his guitar until it's time to rehearse with the band (when they did rehearse).
I've always kind of admired the "ignorant" and self taught musician, they are the ones who tend to break the rules and create new sounds because they don't know the rules to follow vs. someone who knows music theory, etc. That seems to work well for young people getting started or well established artists but as you get older you sometimes want to pick up new musical chops and branch out a bit.

Fun fact: Adam Clayton took bass lessons in the late 90s. He'd been in a band for 20 years up until that point but I guess he really only knew U2 songs and wanted to broaden his bass knowledge a bit. I was largely a self taught guitarist and in a few local bands when I was younger but stopped when I wasn't in a band. I just recently started playing again after many many years and have been taking online lessons to learn to play proper. I'm not looking for creativity so much as I just want to be able to pickup a guitar again and play songs.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:06 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:
I was largely a self taught guitarist and in a few local bands when I was younger but stopped when I wasn't in a band. I just recently started playing again after many many years and have been taking online lessons to learn to play proper. I'm not looking for creativity so much as I just want to be able to pickup a guitar again and play songs.

Me too, kind of - learnt from some book called 'rock guitar' which basically taught you blues riffs which are entrenched now and I have to tell myself dont play the bloody blues riffs. Was kind of funny when me and my old band mates got together because I struggled a bit - not with hitting the right chords/notes (though that did happen a bit) but with concentrating for three or four minutes - seems I hadn't bothered playing anything to the end in all the time in between. Even when we did a gig my mind was wandering a bit and to some extent thinking I remember why I haven't been in a band with this lot for thirty years.

On the other thing I quite like the stories of how such and such came about. I think its in Chris wossnames book that Broudie did the boi-oi-oing guitar bit on never stop, will said 'I just do a D', or something like that.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm

King Of Kings wrote:Another distuctive Interview by Will

https://trouserpress.com/will-sergeant- ... -bunnymen/

Kinda kills the bunny men once and for all

He was much more jolly for a while in the last decade I recall - seems to have coincided with getting on with our new friend from california. :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:46 pm

fat cherry wrote:
Me too, kind of - learnt from some book called 'rock guitar' which basically taught you blues riffs which are entrenched now and I have to tell myself dont play the bloody blues riffs. Was kind of funny when me and my old band mates got together because I struggled a bit - not with hitting the right chords/notes (though that did happen a bit) but with concentrating for three or four minutes - seems I hadn't bothered playing anything to the end in all the time in between. Even when we did a gig my mind was wandering a bit and to some extent thinking I remember why I haven't been in a band with this lot for thirty years.

I was diagnosed with ADD in my 30s right around the last time I was in a band so I understand what you are saying. I'd be in the middle of a song and just forget where I was in the song because I was thinking of a dozen other things. A little mess up here and there didn't matter too much because I was always in bands that played originals and we weren't well known or anything for anyone to notice. I also had no lead guitar confidence so I'd rely on my delay pedal and other effects to fill in the holes. I'm medicated now and more disciplined in general than I was then. Now I can pickup a guitar and play for an hour and have a great time as a "bedroom" guitarist. It also helps that there are loads of backing tracks with tablature on the internet to play along with on ultimate-guitar.com. I wish they had more Bunnymen backing tracks though!
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I mentioned the Adam Clayton thing....

I've often thought that it sure couldn't hurt Mac if he went to a vocal coach. I don't mean this to be insulting. A lot of rock singers have this problem as they age and never learning to sing from their diaphragm vs their throat. The smoking didn't help either (did he ever quit?) In Mac's case he seems to want to style himself as a crooner but he doesn't really seem to have the vocal chops to pull that off any more than Will could just suddenly become a blues guitarist.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:17 pm

yes I think all pro singers need some training even if its just to maintain their voice. I think I was also a bit bored because of the material we were doing wasn't really up my street, would have been pointless trying to get them to play any bunnymen - though we did a few old punk things which were OK but 'crossroads', got an easy enough riff, but the song before it was, quite possibly 'we got to get out of this place' or some queen thing where there wasn't much going on, so I'm pondering how I'm going to play the guitar solo in the next song so it doesn't look like I'm trying to emulate clapton (and I'm laughing at myself here for thinking that) and stuff like that. Oh and the singer changing things around mid song and stuff which I just found irritating. And the sound guy moaning that my guitar sound is crap and suggesting I play a different one - you know all the things that would wind you up. We even did it again a couple of years ago only the singer invited the sound guy to join us (without asking) and that changed the whole dynamic which at least had been a bit loose. Was fun meeting up with old mates but not as much fun playing as I thought it would be.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:37 pm

fat cherry wrote:On the other thing I quite like the stories of how such and such came about. I think its in Chris wossnames book that Broudie did the boi-oi-oing guitar bit on never stop, will said 'I just do a D', or something like that.

In the podcast mentioned on the other thread he says that Broudie came up with the guitar ‘strike’ in The Cutter after the ‘Spare Us The Cutter’ line. They were working on it in London when they found out that the flat they shared in Liverpool had been broken into so Will got the train back to see what had happened. When he returned to London Broudie had recorded the note and Will liked it so they went with it. He never asked him how he came up with the sound.
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:03 pm

oo, wonder if I've got mixed up there with me tales. More than possible. Just ask missis FC.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm

To be fair, it could have been Will getting it mixed up. Or me.
The Monro

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen