2022 Tour

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: 2022 Tour

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:36 pm

fat cherry wrote:A ruck sack would be good so that when I go to school the day after, all my mates, and the school bully, not to mention the lovely Lynn Atkinson who I'm sure fancies me but always says she has to wash her hair, will realise how flipping cool I am.
Oh no, just remembered I'm 61 and left school 40-odd on years ago. Never mind.
What's a bennie?
Also, did the person who came up with the 'magical songs' tag line think they were dealing with the bay city rollers?

I bet Lynn Atkinson won't be able to keep her hands to herself when you reveal your sack. :wink: :lol:

Oh, and bennie was the thick fella from Crossroads. Used to hang around with the rather fetching Miss Diane (mind you, that was 40 -odd years ago as well). :frown:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:22 pm

:biggrin:

also - https://bunnymen.noisemerchants.com/pro ... ch-beanie/

Didn't the squadies who saved the faulklands also get into trouble for referring to the locals as bennies?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:20 pm

fat cherry wrote::biggrin:

also - https://bunnymen.noisemerchants.com/pro ... ch-beanie/

Didn't the squadies who saved the faulklands also get into trouble for referring to the locals as bennies?

I thinks the locals in the Falklands are called "sheep".
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby macshack » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:51 am

TIMES REVIEW
★★★☆☆
At a returning concert for the band that best encapsulated 1980s alternative attitude and atmosphere, a set list featuring favourites from the classic albums Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here certainly delivered for the fans. The guitarist Will Sergeant carried the songs along, Sixties garage rock spirit combining with shimmering ambience, with enough accuracy to take the audience back to their teenage bedrooms. But the singer Ian McCulloch seemed to have it in for Londoners. “Everyone here from London?” he asked, behind ever present shades and overcoat. When the reply came in the affirmative, he concluded, “Sad.” “I said hey, London, take a walk on the Merseyside,” he suggested, during a rendition of Lou Reed’s Walk on the Wild Side. Attempts by audience members to sing along were summarised as “shite”.

This kind of thing has been par for the course for “Mac the Mouth” since the early Eighties, but the difference is that back then McCulloch was the coolest guy around, blessed with a voice that soared with the doomed romance of youth. Now, at 62, his couldn’t-care-less attitude was not so attractive, particularly as his voice croaked to a halt quite a few times. Bedbugs and Ballyhoo, with its Doors-like keyboard motif, was a highlight; it morphed into an actual Doors song, Roadhouse Blues, followed by a much altered rendition of Bowie’s The Jean Genie. But much of the set was let down by McCulloch appearing not to want to be on stage at all.

The final section brought back the energy and reminded us why Echo & the Bunnymen remain such a beloved band. The Cutter was remarkable, its Beatles-like eastern opening giving way to a psychedelic punk masterpiece that sounds as mysterious as ever. The band’s two encores were Lips Like Sugar and, finally, The Killing Moon, one of the greatest songs of the Eighties, on which McCulloch channelled a higher power as he sang about “fate, up against your will” and Sergeant’s elegant music showed that it is possible to write a stadium rock anthem with dignity and restraint, something U2, Echo & the Bunnymen’s great rivals, never quite managed.

A patchy concert, but one with plenty of reminders that we were watching one of the most important bands in the history of alternative music.
macshack
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby The Monro » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:50 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:Any nice swag on this tour? Don't buy every piece of crap like I used to but do like a little something usually.

There was a lot less merchandise on sale on Monday compared to Sheffield last week - and the T shirts are more expensive than the official Noise Merchants site (although you do have to factor in postage with them). You do get a nice black carrier bag with the band’s name on it though. No Mac lyric books, The Stars, The Ocean and The Moon CDs, Poltergeist 12”s or Themes For Grind LPs which were on sale last week.

https://bunnymen.noisemerchants.com/
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:03 am

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby oceanbrain » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:58 pm

Last nite at manc appollo the stranglers played a 27 song set for over 2 hours......that the difference between giving a fuck or not........every credit to em
oceanbrain

Postby NOF » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:42 am

Just a quick note of correction about something that I was quoted as saying in some lazy Times newspaper hack journalist’s review of our brilliant Roundhouse show a few days ago, in which the aforementioned hack alleged that I said to the audience “Everyone here from London ?” and after the majority said they were, indeed, from London, I then said the word “sad” which sounds quite different from the word I did actually say…That word is, was, and ever will be “SOUND” ! which even aliens from another galaxy would recognise as a Scouse way of saying something is good or positive in the context I used it. How people who can’t hear properly are paid to review music is a mystery to me. I’m only writing this to correct some idiot’s potentially harmful connotations our fans might take from his almost deliberate misquoting…
NOF

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 am

Solid show at the Phil last night. Great hearing Show of Strength live, wish they'd do a few more HUH songs, The Cutter had the place bouncing as always, shame we didn't get Ocean rain to finish things off. Good lively audience as things warmed up, even dragged the old bones down the front for the last few songs (the double Jamesons helped) :lol: !

Band sounded really tight, Will on form as always. Wish Mac'd give it a rest with the taking shite though, I used to think it was funny but now it's just a bit boring (there was a cry of something like "sing a song yer cunt" from somewhere, and whoever it was had a point to be fair), as is the rolling up of the bastard towel and kicking it into the audience, I've seen enough shit finishing at Goodison this season, I don't need to pay £45 to see Mac kicking it into Row C at the Phil as well.

That's me out of tickets for a while now, Spiritualized in Manchester in May next, should be a good 'un.
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby The Monro » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am

Great show - would have liked Do It Clean or Crocodiles in there which would have given it even more of a lift, but solid nonetheless. The band seemed a bit better than last week so they’ve definitely improved as time has gone on.

Obviously, I’ll never buy vegetables from Tesco again.
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:19 pm

The Monro wrote: The band seemed a bit better than last week so they’ve definitely improved as time has gone on.

https://trouserpress.com/will-sergeant- ... -bunnymen/

will sergeant wrote: Because we just don’t rehearse, ever. So it’s like all the sudden, you’ve just got to remember it! The fourth or fifth day [of a tour], you’re getting into it

might explain it :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal89 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:47 pm

I dare anyone to time how long Mac wastes time talking shite. You can, if you want, also subtract time from the add libs in Lips, Villiers and NLF and tell us all how long they actually play for.

Maybe you could rewrite the Setlist so every other song is Mac Speaks?
crystal89

Postby The Monro » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:54 pm

They definitely rehearsed for this one as Will tweeted about it but if previous mentions of the subject are anything to go by, they’re usually one man short on such occasions….
The Monro

Postby fat cherry » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:02 am

The Monro wrote:They definitely rehearsed for this one as Will tweeted about it but if previous mentions of the subject are anything to go by, they’re usually one man short on such occasions….

Oh yes, just had a peruse. Don't normally do the twitter. Though as any elderly fan boy might I spent more time enjoying the pictures of his dogs. Though mentions the previous keyboard bloke has become a teacher. One imagines it might be more steady. Dogs Though. Spot on. Yep crystal, still talking bollocks.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:39 am

anyone at bristol? much chatter without saying much on the fb pages.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen