Have Ian McCulloch and his Bunnymen Given Up?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby King Of Kings » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:19 am

No teasers from the "New" album

Total slience
King Of Kings

Re: Have Ian McCulloch and his Bunnymen Given Up?

Postby fat cherry » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 am

in some recent interview Will seemed to think perhaps this is so and he was working more with Kelley Stoltz. I decided to play meteorites the other day - have always liked the title track and Constantinople - mainly because they sound fairly good live and it is good to hear something that's not Rescue, and dismissed the rest, but then noticed that 'Market Town' is about 9 minutes long, and thought, maybe I've been harsh in pressing 'Next' 30 seconds in as you know, all sorts might be going on. So strapped myself in and gave it the proper go and nope, my instincts were right. Bit of a wigout near the end but cannot redeem the sins of the first 7 or eight minutes. Dreadful stuff. Sorry, went off on one there a bit.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby King Of Kings » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm

Dear Ian

How are things in your little world?
I hope they're going well, and you are too
Do you still see the same old crowd?
The ones you used to meet at Erics every Friday
I'm really sorry that I can't be there
But muse comes first, I'm sure you'll understand
Things are really taking off for me
Business is thriving, and I'm showing a profit

And in any case it wouldn't be the same
'Cause we've all grown up, and we've got our lives
And the values that we had once upon a time
Seem stupid now, 'cause the rent must be paid
And some bonds severed, and others made

Now I don't want you to get me wrong
Ideals are fine when you are young
And I must admit we had a laugh
But that's all it was and ever will be

'Cause the burning sky keeps burning bright
And as long as it does (and it always will)
There's no time for dreams when commerce calls
And the taxman's shouting, 'cause he wants his dough
And the wheels of finance won't begin to slow

And it's only us realists who are gonna come through
'Cause there's only one power higher than that of truth
And that's the burning sky

Oh and by the way I must tell you
Before I sign off, that I've got a meeting next week
With the head of a big corporate
I can't disclose who, but I'm sure you'll know it

And the burning sky keeps burning bright
And it won't turn off till it's had enough
It's the greedy bastard who won't give up
And you're just a dreamer if you don't realize
And the sooner you do will be the better for you
Then we'll all be happy, and we'll all be wise
And all bow down to the burning sky

Then we'll all be happy, and we'll all be wise
And together we will live beneath the burning sky

Love Julian
King Of Kings

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:13 am

fat cherry wrote:in some recent interview Will seemed to think perhaps this is so and he was working more with Kelley Stoltz. I decided to play meteorites the other day - have always liked the title track and Constantinople - mainly because they sound fairly good live and it is good to hear something that's not Rescue, and dismissed the rest, but then noticed that 'Market Town' is about 9 minutes long, and thought, maybe I've been harsh in pressing 'Next' 30 seconds in as you know, all sorts might be going on. So strapped myself in and gave it the proper go and nope, my instincts were right. Bit of a wigout near the end but cannot redeem the sins of the first 7 or eight minutes. Dreadful stuff. Sorry, went off on one there a bit.

Constantinople only track I like. Maybe and I assume it is Will having a blast. Not sure what with the current pandemic if the 40 years tour will go ahead. If it does then I can't see them releasing and playing any new tracks
TenNewPence

Postby King Of Kings » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:35 pm

this is worse

all down here from here however

A sad sad Day

but not as bad as
King Of Kings

Postby fat cherry » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:48 am

haven't the Mode got youth on your side there at least? And you know its pretty much the start of all that shite synth stuff and their first album. They went from that to pervy synthy cross dressing herion dropping sex fiends didnt they? Master and Servant indeed, oo er missus. Buns went the opposite direction (no that I'm suggesting they were any of those things of course, oh no, but in the generally opposite direction to what that would entail, if you get my drift, phew). World cup song was a low point, though proxy is shite, and market town (come on down to the market town).
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Based on the last few albums maybe they should just take a cue from The Psychedelic Furs and concentrate on being a consistently great live act and THEN put out a really good album like the Furs recent Made of Rain. They can't possibly be making any money off sales of anything released in the past 15 years especially with streaming music platforms now and then add the fact that those songs don't even appear in recent setlists anyway. They are just forgotten.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Bought the recent Peel Sessions CD a couple of weeks back and put it on whilst ironing, bloody hell they were good then weren't they.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 pm

you old blokes and only liking bands first recordings. Did I mention I trid listening to Market Town the other week, rubbish, but give me a drum machine and a two note riff repeated fro five minutes.....
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby King Of Kings » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 pm

First impression Count

tour statsitics

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/echo-and-t ... 6b231.html

Speaks Volumes really.

By the way did you know that New Model Army's fan base have been raising money to help them.

Below is a message from the band

THANK YOU
Over the last few weeks, unbeknownst to us, a number of our fans have been raising money to help the band and our crew, through these troubled times of no live work (and to celebrate 40 years of our music). Today, completely unexpectedly, a very large amount of money has been passed on to us and we can only say a very big thank you, and salute the extraordinary generosity of everyone who gave. We will do our best to use this money in as appropriate way as possible, in particular to help our crew people past and present.

So donate moey to me if you like and I will make sure the Bunnyboys get it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: NOT
King Of Kings

Postby Voodoo Billy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:40 pm

fat cherry wrote:you old blokes and only liking bands first recordings. Did I mention I trid listening to Market Town the other week, rubbish, but give me a drum machine and a two note riff repeated fro five minutes.....

Less of the 'old' you cheeky get. I'd like nothing better than to feel the same way about recent releases as I do about the other stuff but the magic's just not there. Still enjoy the first couple of listens to the newer stuff (except that Moons and Stars thing) but it soon wears off unfortunately.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:08 pm

I still haven't played the moon/stars thing all the way through, just a couple of tracks. One of em, might have been dancing horses i was thinking, oo, that's not bad. Ben painting and had iTunes on random and some song came on and through the intro I'm wondering, what's this, sounds interesting, and then mac started singing and it went to crap. Something off meteorites I think. Yep I'd love that one last genius album. ITunes also wanted me to listen to that free U2 album and that's crap too.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:05 pm

fat cherry wrote:I still haven't played the moon/stars thing all the way through, just a couple of tracks. One of em, might have been dancing horses i was thinking, oo, that's not bad. Ben painting and had iTunes on random and some song came on and through the intro I'm wondering, what's this, sounds interesting, and then mac started singing and it went to crap. Something off meteorites I think. Yep I'd love that one last genius album. ITunes also wanted me to listen to that free U2 album and that's crap too.

I can’t think of a single instance where a band re-recorded their classic songs years later and it was better that the original. Off the top of my head... Bowie did that Fame 90 rework. Yuck. P Furs redid Pretty In Pink for that soundtrack but added horns. Blech.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:09 am

Lol. That New Order triple from the Manchester arts festival has some interesting new takes on the old stuff, your silent face especially. though it is technically a live album so not the same. When bunnies came back the beefed up kerranging lips was pretty good, but again more of a live thing. I seem to recall mccartney's naked let it be (ironic huh, if that was the album, memory fades) got panned. Never bothered to listen to it.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 am

Came across this yesterday. Not sure if anyone has posted it before as they seem to have been recorded last May (2020) However there are a number of parts to this and on one of them Will said something along the lines of there is a new Bunnies album of new material on the new (major) label. :cool:

Some interesting bits and will watch more / all of them later.

Spoiler alert Will gets out his Vox and talks about The Killing Moon.

PS how can Will be older than me and have that full head of hair :confused:
TenNewPence

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen