The Grey Album.. Underrated?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

The Grey Album.. Underrated?

Postby Lapurdi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Been an E&TB fan for a few years now, but their self-titled 1987 "grey album" is such a grower and I usually play it a lot more frequently than their previous releases (otherwise; Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain are my most played Bunnymen records). I love "The Game", "Over You", "Bedbugs & Ballyhoo", "Bombers Bay", "Lips like Sugar" and "New Direction". I understand that the album was produced during a low-point for the band, and that it sounds very over-produced (typical Laurie Latham) and glossed over compared to their previous releases, but does anyone share the same enthusiasm as me? :cool:
Lapurdi
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Re: The Grey Album.. Underrated?

Postby King Of Kings » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:02 am

Te Grey Album is a pop ablum

In that context its ok

My gripe is that this is where the bunnymenlost thier unique sound
King Of Kings

Postby gomper » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:47 pm

At the time it felt disappointing as it wasn't a bold step like Ocean Rain. I thought they might have gone in a braver, more electro Dancing Horses vein for the Lp, but they ended up hedging their bets (probably down to infighting and the record company).

There are brilliant early live versions of 'Satellite' and 'All in your mind' which hinted at a raw punk sound. Their Glastonbury 85 gig on YouTube is well worth a listen.

I've still got a nostalgic affection for the Lp though, love the lyrics to 'The Game' and nice to see Ray Manzarek on there.
gomper
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am

I love it , I've always loved it , but obviously some of the weirdness and energy was missing.

Mind you as a latecomer it was the first Bunnymen album I bought the day it came out or just after apart from Songs To Learn and Sing.

The only thing I didn't like was Over You which sounded like a pointless rehash of the superior Ship of Fools.

After the BBC TV appearance the year before I was really looking forward to the album coming out , it never felt like an anticlimax.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 pm

I've always liked it although it's not particularly Bunnymenish. Always loved All My Life and Bombers Bay and the singles. It's definitely missing the weirdness but still highly superior to almost everything else released in 1987.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 am

I really hate the mix overall. In many places it seems thin and watered down. Some songs just have bad decisions such as New Direction The band sounds tight and in top form on that one, especially Macs voice and Will's soloing at the end, but those synthy keyboard backup voices on the chorus just ruin it for me.
IMO this seems typical of early 80s post-punk bands that made it to the end of the decade. Midnight to Midnight by P. Furs, Technique by New Order, True Stories by Talking Heads all come to mind.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 am

sure I've said before that the best thing about it is the cover shot. Handful of good songs, first three on side one and lips. The demo of new direction on the box set is better than the final version.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 am

Only three bunnies albums I struggle to listen to. The Grey one, second half of Flowers and most of the Fountain.

Talking Heads first four LPs all brilliant just like the Bunnies first four. Off subject new book by Chris Frantz and his missus Tina Weymouth seem to slag off David Byrne. Sound familiar ?

NO Technique probably one of their best along with PCL Low Life and most of Brotherhood IMO
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:03 am

TenNewPence wrote:Talking Heads first four LPs all brilliant just like the Bunnies first four. Off subject new book by Chris Frantz and his missus Tina Weymouth seem to slag off David Byrne. Sound familiar ?

Oo, diverting a thread, classic move.
I read about this in mojo this month. Eno doesn't come out of it very well either, wanting Co billing on the album at the end of recording rather than up front. Byrne refusing to reunite g or post breakup fezzie headline then somehow doing the headline solo anyway. Classic stuff. Sadly our boys never being famous enough to be able to screw each other over at such levels. Though seeds sown early with disagreements about input to psycho killer - read it in books anyone. Woops, spoilers
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks for another classic F.C. summary. Keep em coming! :biggrin:
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:18 am

I try, its nick cave tonight isn't it?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm

fat cherry wrote:I try, its nick cave tonight isn't it?

It is/was. I decided against it, which is just as well as I lost track of time when the sun made a late appearance in my garden this evening. Did you watch?
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:10 am

I did. Mrs suggested we do as an alternative to her favourites the walking dead and endless police or scandi crime dramas. Was v good, kind of review on other thread.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:13 am

According to tinternet and social media its its birthday today. Sixth July. Also, just to make it all about me, its my wedding anniversary too. Pure coincidence, obviously.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:33 am

fat cherry wrote:According to tinternet and social media its its birthday today. Sixth July. Also, just to make it all about me, its my wedding anniversary too. Pure coincidence, obviously.

Important things first, a very happy anniversary to you and the lucky Madame Cherry! And many more years of wedded bliss (is that a bit too much FC?) to you both!!!

And a happy birthday to 'The Grey Album'. Not very Bunnymen-ish but a great car album I always thought, a bit like the Mary Chain's 'Automatic', though I do tend to drive faster to 'Automatic' (which isn't particularly speedy as i am Captain Slow).
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen