Latest Mojo magazine

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Latest Mojo magazine

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

fat cherry wrote:
username wrote:but seriously guys, do you all wish that he had died when you were younger so that he could be immortal?

Need I point out the logical error there :biggrin: .Nah, but I do wish the last few albums weren't embarrassingly bad.

ah but if our heroes are older than us when they die, even if they die young, then we still look up to them as being older, wiser and immortal and that image sticks in our head as an immortal image
Dave Smith's second account
username

Postby dodojojo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah, so we never suffer from seeing Echo and the Bunnymen as anything less than gods, Ian McCulloch should have sprung his mortal coil decades ago. How rude of him not to.

I mean, come on. We can discuss whether or not he would have reached Ian Curtis-like status and all that. But to actually debate whether it was better for our sake...
dodojojo

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

Dave Smith wrote:Just struck me- I'm the only person on here who uses his real name lol Unless your parents were all hippies.I need a moniker- suggestions?

The user with the name "Username"- please use more imagination.Someone used a symbol once and I refused to converse. You could be a BOT from Porcupine Management. Either way more effort please if you want an argument on here.

So..I encourage more transparency on VT.

well, i just wanted to see if there was any audio and setlists from the last tour but i had to sign up to just access the site (which i asked about and was given the answer, part of which it was to encourage more people to take part) and having gone to the time and effort to sign up i felt obligued to have to comment

likewise, reading this thread and seeing a lot of comments seemingly attacking someone who is clearly going through a bad time, someone who is supposed to be your hero is astounding. no you shouldn't blindly follow everything they do but if someone seems to be struggling with addiction then (i can't remember who it was) people saying that it is affected and that you need evidence that it is real shows a staggering lack of compassion for another human being who is clearly in pain.

lastly, if you think expressing displeasure at others seemingly 'attacking' someone who seems to need help is the prelude to an arguement then, well, that in itself says far more than i could. also if you wish to 'refuse to converse' then good for you, exercise those rights, mr smith, if indeed that is your real name :rolleyes:

likewise if you read any of this as provkative then, see above.

maybe more people would visit and post if people were friendler? with a few exceptions (allthatjazz, black chery to name but two) this site seems very much like a closed club. So..I encourage more freindliness and compassion on VT
username

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

dodojojo wrote:Yeah, so we never suffer from seeing Echo and the Bunnymen as anything less than gods, Ian McCulloch should have sprung his mortal coil decades ago. How rude of him not to.

I mean, come on. We can discuss whether or not he would have reached Ian Curtis-like status and all that. But to actually debate whether it was better for our sake...

i agree but people seem very disapointed in him
username

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 am

Dave Smith wrote:Just struck me- I'm the only person on here who uses his real name lol Unless your parents were all hippies.I need a moniker- suggestions?

I think I know three Dave Smiths in real life, so I assumed you'd just picked that - hidden in plain sight and all that. I spose if we end up on FB when Mr Brian pulls the plug I'l have to come out of the closet, as it were, as probably won't be arsed building a whole persona.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55 am

username wrote:likewise if you read any of this as provkative then, see above.

maybe more people would visit and post if people were friendler? with a few exceptions (allthatjazz, black chery to name but two) this site seems very much like a closed club. So..I encourage more freindliness and compassion on VT

We didn't get down to half a dozen members by being friendly you know :biggrin: Having said that, what is great about this forum is that we're allowed to have opinions - negative or jolly. We're all still big fans (well more or less) but perhaps enjoy venting our frustrations here. Used to be much more fiery, and the official forum when it was alive was managed quite badly.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:06 pm

dodojojo wrote:Without Ian/Bunnymen, he was sat at home doing nothing. ........

.......Will can't do any of that, not in a form that would generate any kind of income anyway. It's a marriage of convenience but it seems Ian gets all the shit for it.

I don't think either of them make much solowise (once again, file under....), but as for not doing much - glide, poltergeist, solo stuff, that album with that fit bird who used to be in little flames, the odd track on the odd primal scream album (OK just the one), oh and the stripey paintings, and now apparently liaising with some bird in california too. Sounds busy to me. My problem with Mac is the run of the mill interview (and OK, this one sounds a bit different) has been the same for the last 40 years, best band in the world, sinatra, michaelangelo, best band in the world, bowie lou reed laughing lenny, best band inthe world. Oh, and 'best album since ocean rain'. You're winding me up aren't you?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

When I first saw this thread I was filled with dread. I thought is this some PR stunt or a Journo seeking revenge after all of the Mac the Mouth etc. How does the band manage to function if Ian is in such a bad way. So I read the article this afternoon and tried to remain positive. Some will blame Mac for his situation drugs, divorce ego etc. How many artist whether in music or film retain their sanity fed drugs, egos massaged, shafted by managers the industry. I see bands such as U2 \ Coldplay profiting from good management and playing the game. Compare to New Order \ Joy Division from reading Hooky's books Wilson the Hacienda complete mess.
When the Bunnies got back in the 90's I hoped they would make a better go of it even without Pete who was a major part. Sadly things went wrong the World Cup song etc, Les leaving and being dropped. I read Mac's interview around the time of Holy Ghost and tried to remain optomistic. Same with the new management (although I sometimes wonder with the Stars Moon delay) Same with signing to a label Their is hopefully some positives when the Stars do come out and the new album next year.
Talking of Ego (not mine) I can recommend the Book "Ego Is The Enemy"
TenNewPence

Postby dodojojo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:27 pm

fat cherry wrote:
dodojojo wrote:Without Ian/Bunnymen, he was sat at home doing nothing. ........

.......Will can't do any of that, not in a form that would generate any kind of income anyway. It's a marriage of convenience but it seems Ian gets all the shit for it.

I don't think either of them make much solowise (once again, file under....), but as for not doing much - glide, poltergeist, solo stuff, that album with that fit bird who used to be in little flames, the odd track on the odd primal scream album (OK just the one), oh and the stripey paintings, and now apparently liaising with some bird in california too.

I did put it in context of generating an income--not to say Will's not doing anything in his life then and now. When asked why he got back with Mac--he didn't talk about music, friendship with Mac, etc. Nope, my wife became pregnant and there was no money coming in. Real life happened. I don't know anything either but between Will and Ian, I'm guessing, starting at 0, Ian could probably go out and play a few acoustic shows and generate enough cash to survive. I don't see Will doing that with music. Artistically he may be triumphant, but in terms of an income? Though I wouldn't be surprised if Will is better off financially overall due to common sense and lifestyle.

My problem with Mac is the run of the mill interview (and OK, this one sounds a bit different) has been the same for the last 40 years, best band in the world, sinatra, michaelangelo, best band in the world, bowie lou reed laughing lenny, best band inthe world. Oh, and 'best album since ocean rain'. You're winding me up aren't you?

I hear you. The above is why I think the OCD is genuine. After reading a few dozen interviews that span the decades, he sounds like a broken record. He can't stop doing it. I used to teeter between two camps. The first I just mentioned. The other was that he was a master at the long game wind up and he was keeping in character until he dies laughing. But sadly, I think he's just not all there...
dodojojo

Postby Dave Smith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:11 pm

The official forum was a gas .Sean the nurse threatened to hit me .That's why I moved to Stockholm .but maybe he got me confused with FC 's Dave Smiths
Username you think we are mocking on here ?seriously it's the opposite but we all think we are comedians too.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

As far as dying...[per username's post]

One of Ian's coping mechanisms is his sense of humor...He tells us over and over he's 'gonna live forever' and that he "plans on not dying'..Just last year, he fled Japan when Trump was threatening nuclear annihilation...These are all actions of someone who wants to live! Some aspects of his life are challenging but the fact remains, what that small child from Norris Green did figure out without musical training or higher education is astonishing! And, his songs will always be of interest to me.
allthatjazz

Postby In The Margins » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Ian McCulloch was born with three gifts: his voice, his song writing abilities and his looks. He still has about 35% of those gifts. Maybe 40%.

it does make me angry to think how he threw away a lot of his talent due to drugs and alcohol. Also from people who want to coddle him and not force him to deal with his issues. Sorry if that comes off as a lecture. Certainly not meant to be. There are so many programs and such that could help him. No one would think the less of him for taking hold of his life for the last part of it.

I've been a fan since 1986. I've read volumes of interviews and seen thousands of photos. Much of this current interview is a rehash of others, especially since the reformation in the late 90s.

I think his house could be considered "modest" rather than squalor. I picture squalor as a one bedroom weekly rental in a flophouse on skid row. Also, the pull down bed is called a Murphy Bed. It's very common in smaller homes/rooms and can bought even at Costco.

Finally, he's not my hero. My heroes are real people.
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby In The Margins » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 pm

I think we all need a bit of Poncho:

https://gizmodo.com/poncho-the-spanish- ... 1827129827
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Happy Death Man » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 pm

If I said I'd lost my way
Would you sympathise
Could you sympathise?
I'm jumbled up
Maybe I'm losing my touch
I'm jumbled up
Maybe I'm losing my touch
But you know I didn't have it anyway......
Happy Death Man

Postby black francis » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 pm

I don't see anyone really attacking Mac. It's more a long drawn out sadness of watching one of our lifelong heroes not getting the financial and critical success he (and Will and Les) deserve. Even more sad is the perceived loneliness. The teddy bear story really got to me as it reminded me of the time the missus and I were separated (the old timers here probably remember that incident) and I had lost weight cause I no longer had access to her mother's Mexican cooking. The missus expressed concern that I wasn't eating (I was just not as much and looking good too!) and my oldest son who was eight at the time brought me his little sushi tray to make sure I had something to eat.

Basically being a Bunnymen fan means enjoying a kick to the nuts every now and then and this is a big one.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen