Latest Mojo magazine

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Latest Mojo magazine

Postby black francis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 pm

bunnygirlxx wrote:Thanks for posting. Don’t know if it’s because I’m reading on a small screen but is there a page missing? Only haven’t read about the pub and the comments made. Agree, it doesn’t sound good.

I believe it's all there.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Happy Death Man » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Does anybody else think that the "snow-white-haired scouse" man who made the "lead singer of The Cure" comment in the pub was our very own Dr. Cheese having a bit of a laugh?
Happy Death Man

Postby bunnygirlxx » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:16 am

black francis wrote:
bunnygirlxx wrote:Thanks for posting. Don’t know if it’s because I’m reading on a small screen but is there a page missing? Only haven’t read about the pub and the comments made. Agree, it doesn’t sound good.

I believe it's all there.

Yes, thanks, my mistake shouldn’t have read it after a late night out! :rolleyes:
bunnygirlxx

Postby Dave Smith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 am

Could be Peter Allen?

My take on this..I dont feel sorry for Mac but its sad that a guy who had the world at his feet now lives in squalor in a bedroom with a pulldown bed..jeez.Thats the sadness.This guy has been my fucking hero since I was 12....still is....such a waste of talent through shovelling excess snow up his beak all these years....suffering mentally now for it.

Other points...they got lost on the way back to his home....obssessed with flies and ants....still talking about Lorraine....unable to wash/clean...anything..bags of booze being dropped off...or more white stuff.....I mean Peasy is either a saint or a fool. But...Bunnymen must carry on so he does what he must. But what of Mac in another 10 years???

Re Mac and Will...just a business arrangement. Bunnymen name alone sells tickets so the only way they can make money is to turn up on stage as The Bunnymen.Mac cant sell "Ian Mcculloch" tours so needs Will- hence the resentment.

All in all not good press for the new album is it???
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby T » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:31 am

You wonder why Cavanagh was allowed back to the house.

A searing portrait.

But at least he's thin again, I suppose.
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 am

Might not be that bad Dave, remember back in the 90s when there were all those stories about David Van Day flipping burgers in a van on the A65? Couple of reality shows later and look at him now, singing Bucks Fizz songs to squaddies in Afganistan.

Though seriously folks, I still wonder about the claim that he's always writing, may be true but you know, one album every 5 years with diminishing quality. Only my opinion of course. And still apparently doing the biog. And kudos on the peter allen gag.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am

He may be writing all the time but most of it may not be fit for purpose. Cavanaugh has high praise for a demo song--you wonder if it's actually that good or if the author is humoring Ian.
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 am

Dave Smith wrote:Could be Peter Allen?

My take on this..I dont feel sorry for Mac but its sad that a guy who had the world at his feet now lives in squalor in a bedroom with a pulldown bed..jeez.Thats the sadness.This guy has been my fucking hero since I was 12....still is....such a waste of talent through shovelling excess snow up his beak all these years....suffering mentally now for it.

Other points...they got lost on the way back to his home....obssessed with flies and ants....still talking about Lorraine....unable to wash/clean...anything..bags of booze being dropped off...or more white stuff.....I mean Peasy is either a saint or a fool. But...Bunnymen must carry on so he does what he must. But what of Mac in another 10 years???

Re Mac and Will...just a business arrangement. Bunnymen name alone sells tickets so the only way they can make money is to turn up on stage as The Bunnymen.Mac cant sell "Ian Mcculloch" tours so needs Will- hence the resentment.

All in all not good press for the new album is it???

For the record, the fly machine only zapped once in 22 hours and for all we know the army of ants are imaginary...As far as the snow, was it his mental state that led him to his addictions or the other way around? I've been told by someone who's been that he lives in a charming cottage. Unfortunately, the ghosts of his past seem to live there too. His childhood traumas, his perceived slights, the people who've meant the most to him...They're all there with him still. Not everyone wants the same things. This may all be a result of his choices. I'm just not sure how free he was to make them.
allthatjazz

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

he speaks about his ocd in other books and interviews. the most notable ones are washing his hands and before the band split he would have to walk down the corridor to the stage time and time again before he could get it right. a very hostile reaction on the whole on this place to the inrterview with a guy who clearly comes across as having serious adictions and mental health problems. i think his 8 year old daughter seems to understand him better than anyone else.

if it is true that will wouldn't even say hello to him then that means that one of them must have i love sasuages up very badly and maybe will's partner can only stomach him the other side of the world! (kidding)

but seriously guys, do you all wish that he had died when you were younger so that he could be immortal? he can't be overly short of cash if he can fund his adictions but he must have made a fortune over his 30/40 year career. seems drummond might not have been the only one burning his cash
Dave Smith's second account
username

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

o, and i doubt silverfish will be published now :cry:
Dave Smith's second account
username

Postby dodojojo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 am

DS, correct, it's not feeling sorry for him, but we can feel sadness--for him, for us too. It's hard to see our heroes as mere mortals, much harder when they're so troubled.

Dave Smith wrote:Re Mac and Will...just a business arrangement. Bunnymen name alone sells tickets so the only way they can make money is to turn up on stage as The Bunnymen.Mac cant sell "Ian Mcculloch" tours so needs Will- hence the resentment.

It's a two-street, isn't it? Will has made it clear he's in it for the income and who could blame him? Kudos to him for accepting it's a job and being professional about it. He doesn't seem to have any hang-ups about it. The problem is Ian does and he can't not act out. But from what I've read some fans blame Ian for dragging the Bunnymen on, but Will himself said he reached out to Mac when his wife was pregnant and there was no money coming in. Without Ian/Bunnymen, he was sat at home doing nothing. He has said he loves touring as it sure as hell beats a regular 9-5 job and has not intention of stopping. Ian, however diminished, can generate some income from strumming his guitar and singing a few songs and he can release solo records. Will can't do any of that, not in a form that would generate any kind of income anyway. It's a marriage of convenience but it seems Ian gets all the shit for it.
dodojojo

Postby jimmyh79 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 am

Haven't been on here in years but just reading that - blimey... sad about his daughter's present.. Hope he gets some help of some kind.
I think Cavanagh's colleague Andrew Male's comments on twitter are very telling:

Replying to @Andr6wMale

That Mac interview has been haunting me all night n morning.

Wayne Gooderham‏ @wb_gooderham · Jun 23

Get the feeling that even what was published involved a few held punches.

Andrew Male‏ @Andr6wMale · Jun 23

I thought so too. Out of respect, I feel.

Aye. And two references to his build which I found a little unnerving.

Andrew Male‏ @Andr6wMale · Jun 23

I think he's quite frail.

Aw. That’s made me even sadder. Poor sod.
jimmyh79
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 am

username wrote:if it is true that will wouldn't even say hello to him then that means that one of them must have i love sasuages up very badly and

Its recorded all over the place that young Will was a bit of an awkward lad, not talking to journos, ignoring producers and, er Mac. But then I don't think Mac ever mixed with the band much. Though you know its all second hand so file under what do I know. Having said that, the video that came with the Ocean Rain live at the albert hall has Mac meeting the rest of the band in the lift, clearly not having been hanging with them, they're all 'suited and booted' seemingly they'd agreed on this and mac changed his mind.

username wrote:but seriously guys, do you all wish that he had died when you were younger so that he could be immortal?

Need I point out the logical error there :biggrin: .Nah, but I do wish the last few albums weren't embarrassingly bad.

username wrote:he can't be overly short of cash if he can fund his adictions but he must have made a fortune over his 30/40 year career. seems drummond might not have been the only one burning his cash

Sure he isn't, but far from wealthy I'd guess. I think it was Julian Cope who objected to drummond's piece of art saying 'it wasn't his cash to burn'. But that's a different point I guess.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 am

Just struck me- I'm the only person on here who uses his real name lol Unless your parents were all hippies.I need a moniker- suggestions?

The user with the name "Username"- please use more imagination.Someone used a symbol once and I refused to converse. You could be a BOT from Porcupine Management. Either way more effort please if you want an argument on here.

So..I encourage more transparency on VT.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:22 am

Dave Smith wrote:Will ..old news ..been going on for years

..she's a member here too ;)

Do share :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen