Latest Mojo magazine

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Latest Mojo magazine

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 am

I'm still curious about this new record label. Essentially, it turned out to be a pledge drive and that was before the delay in production....Isn't the record label supposed to assume the financial risk?

I found the train ticket line puzzling too.
allthatjazz

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:16 am

Oh and old Mac needs to stop criticizing young Mac...nothing lasts forever.
allthatjazz

Postby In The Margins » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:19 am

Agreed. The young Mac was gorgeous and could sing. Hubba hubba.
In The Margins
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 am

allthatjazz wrote:I'm still curious about this new record label. Essentially, it turned out to be a pledge drive and that was before the delay in production....Isn't the record label supposed to assume the financial risk?

I found the train ticket line puzzling too.

I found the whole peasy wiping his arse for him puzzling, but maybe not. Sounds like there's a one of those pathos-filled comedy dramas in it should anyone from the BBC be reading. Behind it seems to be a fairly standard babbling Mac interview but then he asked him home for a cuppa, why the fuck would you do that. A while ago he was moaning that he can hardly get an interview these days but then he hardly has anything new to say.

Less puzzling is the 'living in reduced circs', fairly obvious that a few minor hits in the 80s do not a fortune make 30-odd years and a divorce later on. As for the record company, what's that saying, erm, its not called the music business for nothing, and you know, its probably considered fairly high risk - or maybe the boys in the band rejected the huge advance knowing that, well you know, what they know.

On the 'add an orchestra' thing seems to be getting out of control if you ask me, heard sime god-awful version of the beach boys fun fun fun the other day. Though a neighbour of mine, a few years older than me can't wait to go see holographic elvis wriggling his holographic hips to a real orchestra some time soon - so there's money in it for some.

Chez
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 am

I don't understand the characterization of the article as a fluff piece. Have I misunderstood what a fluff piece is? They are usually PR releases re-worded by a "journalist" as an interview or article. They don't say anything that would cause offense to the interviewee and are designed to be "feel good." They don't usually include painting the interviewee as a rambling,drunken, lonely hermit who gets called a has-been by his hometown folk. That's like the antidote to the rock star image. Are the Bunnymen hoping for the pity crowd? Maybe someone will start a GoFundMe. They also don't let on about the rough relations between two interviewees. Fluff pieces are all about "everything is hunky dory!" I didn't read anything in the article where Bunnymen management would be excited to promote on their social media. And tellingly, they haven't. I doubt this is what they had in mind when they scored a prominent feature in Mojo.

And what new generation of fans are they hoping to snare from this interview? Take a look at the Mojo cover. Are the Bunnymen hoping to attract the generation that's about to tap into their pension funds? I thought they already had this generation in the bag?

I haven't read any of the band biographies (bits of Chis Adams' book online only). Did they cover his OCD? IIRC, he has said he was diagnosed as a kid and that his mother noticed his odd behavior and took him to a doctor? I've read interviews as far back as the Crocodiles period (I don't go that far back, just read them recently) where Ian's called "Howard Hughes" and already talking about flies, bedbugs, etc. There is already a fixation with the subject matter and it goes on in other interviews over the decades. I mean the guy either has got an incredible long game or he really does have some sort fixation or obsession with that particular issue. I mean, what freaking rockstar uses his publicity time to talk about insects invading his life? Maybe he doesn't really have OCD, but something's not right there.
dodojojo

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am

dodojojo wrote:They don't usually include painting the interviewee as a rambling,drunken, lonely hermit who gets called a has-been by his hometown folk.

I thought that bit was meant to cme over as scouse humour - since he then goes out and has a ciggie with them.

dodojojo wrote:I haven't read any of the band biographies (bits of Chis Adams' book online only). Did they cover his OCD? IIRC, he has said he was diagnosed as a kid and that his mother noticed his odd behavior and took him to a doctor?

Don't think they do, but can't remember. Mainly being as blind as a bat. It only seems in post reformation interviews that's been mentioned. But I can't remember.

dodojojo wrote: I mean, what freaking rockstar uses his publicity time to talk about insects invading his life?

But he's not really a rock 'star' is he, except in his head.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:13 am

fat cherry wrote:
dodojojo wrote:
dodojojo wrote: I mean, what freaking rockstar uses his publicity time to talk about insects invading his life?

But he's not really a rock 'star' is he, except in his head.

Okay, wannabe rock star or cult rock star then. Which he was in the 80's and he was already going on about the freaking insects. Forget rock star then, who uses a publicity platform to go on and on about pests? Unless, they're exterminators and looking for customers? Has anyone checked to see if Ian invested in an extermination company?
dodojojo

Postby dodojojo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am

fat cherry wrote:
dodojojo wrote:They don't usually include painting the interviewee as a rambling,drunken, lonely hermit who gets called a has-been by his hometown folk.

I thought that bit was meant to cme over as scouse humour - since he then goes out and has a ciggie with them.

Yes, but half joking and half truth humor. Very cutting. Ian took a bit of time to respond but the banter route seemed to work and as mentioned in the article, "dignity restored" (or recovered?).
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

The saddest wasn't so much how he chooses to live or his reduced circumstance, but his admission that he cannot love and seems to be at a loss as to what to do with it when it is offered....That's the tragedy!
allthatjazz

Postby Echoflowers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Will: I've got this romantic involvement with a lady in California.....

This can't be Paula, or? It's absolutely new to me.
Echoflowers
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 pm

They do say its always the quiet ones. Maybe that's why he's so chipper.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Will ..old news ..been going on for years

..she's a member here too ;)
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Scouser? They have one of them there modern marriages then? Mrs FC (90s line up) had one of those, but forgot to tell me. I can laugh about it now, as they say.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 pm

And, what the hell is 'thought transfer?'
allthatjazz

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Actually, he said 'thought transference!'
allthatjazz

PreviousNext