Strings and things tour reviews

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Strings and things tour reviews

Postby trippingflags » Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

i got some better audio and dubbed it in to my video. if anyone gets hold of good audio of the edinburgh gig let me know, as i have a heap more decent video. ta.
trippingflags
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

allthatjazz wrote:There's a world of difference between the review by John Robb for Louder Than War in Manchester and David Hall for Getintothis in Liverpool. Robb's article seems to be more a review of E&TB's long storied career.

Iget that but its a review written for its own sake, plus there's alot between the lines, but no negativism I'll admit.

allthatjazz wrote:While Hall offers much in constructive criticism from the evening in Liverpool. The latter might help them get on the right track.

Like two sixty year old blokes who've been ploughing their own furrow (furrow? is that the right word) are going to take any notice of that? Not like they haven't hear the words of wisdom before is it?

allthatjazz wrote:Though they would have to believe they're headed in the wrong direction for any of it to resonate.

That's what I meant.
allthatjazz wrote:It is very difficult these days to find an honest critical review as opposed to PR puff pieces.

But reviews are by nature subjective so honesty id all bollocks isn't it?
allthatjazz wrote:Getintothis had to deal with a bunch of garbage for publishing this review in their hometown. I hope they will always report the truth regardless of push back.

So do I, don't you think nme jounos have always had flack? Well they did before they stopped being able to publish glowing reviews every time noel gallagher farted, ut you know if you're going to publish things online you've gpot to expect that.

Chezza.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm

I apologise for making up the word 'negativism' and using it in a public forum. Drink is to blame. Black Francis knows what I mean.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Wed May 30, 2018 6:53 pm

"But reviews are by nature subjective so honesty id all bollocks isn't it?"

It is why I appreciated the Hall review more. He based his opinions on the evenings experience and substantiated his assertions with evidence from that evening's performance. It also reinforced what I had heard and seen of the evening through links and YouTube updates.

"Like two sixty year old blokes who've been ploughing their own furrow (furrow? is that the right word) are going to take any notice of that? Not like they haven't hear the words of wisdom before is it?"

I think Mac is more implacable than Will. Unfortunately, Mac seems to always get the upper hand. Maybe that's what it means to be a frontman. The review from Manchester will merely harden his resolve that his instincts are correct. It came off as lofty, albeit beautifully written praise from a fan rather than a critic. Actually, I believe Mac reads every word written about them...It might not change anything but I could see him obsessing over every word. [written whilst sipping a Tom Collins mixed with Cotswolds Gin]
allthatjazz

Postby dodojojo » Wed May 30, 2018 7:38 pm

allthatjazz wrote:The review from Manchester will merely harden his resolve that his instincts are correct.

My totally unsolicited, unsupported super quick assessment of Ian is that he's a great songwriter and singer but his instincts on music production, band direction, career decision, etc have been, to put it kindly, spotty. Hindsight is of course 20/20 and he had to make his decisions in real time but hey like I said, totally just an off the cuff analysis.
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Wed May 30, 2018 9:14 pm

dodojojo wrote:
allthatjazz wrote:The review from Manchester will merely harden his resolve that his instincts are correct.

My totally unsolicited, unsupported super quick assessment of Ian is that he's a great songwriter and singer but his instincts on music production, band direction, career decision, etc have been, to put it kindly, spotty. Hindsight is of course 20/20 and he had to make his decisions in real time but hey like I said, totally just an off the cuff analysis.

You're not wrong. Off the cuff analysis is to be preferred to decisions made when you're 'off your head.' Which is the best way I can describe Mac's rock & roll lifestyle. At times throughout his career, he seemed consumed by the swagger. Periods of recklessness giving way to periods of remorse. No idea where he is at this point. It's sort of a recurring theme. I believe the producer on this latest album The Stars, The Ocean & The Moon is Andrea Wright she also worked with Youth on Meteorites.
allthatjazz

Postby Dave Smith » Thu May 31, 2018 3:56 am

Well..I did Liverpool and Birmingham and Birmingham was ten times better. Mac was a bit pitchy in Liverpool not helped by the sound mix. Second guitar and drums were way too loud drowning out the strings and Will could hardlky be heard infact during Ocean his guitar couldnt be heard outfront! Not good sound man not good.

Birmingham was a much better set and Mac sounded amazing. Plus they ditched Stars which was a grungy mess and revitalised the start. So Liverpool 7/10 and Brum 9/10.

But Ive heard this set now twice and Ill leave it at Brum and wait until they get back to normal versions. Been listening to these songs nearly 40 years and a bit of a head mess to hear them changed now.!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 am

They did make some changes from those early shows...Stars are Stars completely dropped from the setlist. Seven Seas back to it's original version. Birmingham' setlist was reworked. They started with Rescue which got fans out of their seats from the start...Nothing Lasts Forever is an odd song to start a concert. I think it's funny that Mac was as puzzled by having people seated for his gigs as the audience was by the transformed tunes. Though his calls for fans to come to the front made plenty of VIP ticket holders angry since they paid to have the better vantage point...You can't make everyone happy...One person was especially angry because someone from the band told security who was moving to clear the area in front of the stage to let them stand... Also, Mac's t-shirt was tucked only for the Edinburgh show...Maybe he's not so implacable.
allthatjazz

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 am

Dave Smith wrote:Well..I did Liverpool and Birmingham and Birmingham was ten times better. Mac was a bit pitchy in Liverpool not helped by the sound mix. Second guitar and drums were way too loud drowning out the strings and Will could hardlky be heard infact during Ocean his guitar couldnt be heard outfront! Not good sound man not good.

Birmingham was a much better set and Mac sounded amazing. Plus they ditched Stars which was a grungy mess and revitalised the start. So Liverpool 7/10 and Brum 9/10.

But Ive heard this set now twice and Ill leave it at Brum and wait until they get back to normal versions. Been listening to these songs nearly 40 years and a bit of a head mess to hear them changed now.!

Agree totally about Liverpool Dave. There were bits where Will was way too low in the mix, his guitar in Ocean Rain is one of the song's highlights and it was barely audible. I didn't really like Stars are Stars and Seven Seas, but thought Lips worked pretty well. I thought it was a more 'professional' (over?)-polished performance compared to some we've had at the Academy over the years but I missed that edge that's there in less formal venues. The highlighs for me were The Cutter, Ocean Rain and I thought Never Stop was superb (all three played pretty much true to the originals). Good to see them again though, it's getting on for a couple of years since I saw them in Manchester.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am

fat cherry wrote:
allthatjazz wrote:There's a world of difference between the review by John Robb for Louder Than War in Manchester and David Hall for Getintothis in Liverpool. Robb's article seems to be more a review of E&TB's long storied career.

Iget that but its a review written for its own sake, plus there's alot between the lines, but no negativism I'll admit.

allthatjazz wrote:While Hall offers much in constructive criticism from the evening in Liverpool. The latter might help them get on the right track.

Like two sixty year old blokes who've been ploughing their own furrow (furrow? is that the right word) are going to take any notice of that? Not like they haven't hear the words of wisdom before is it?

allthatjazz wrote:Though they would have to believe they're headed in the wrong direction for any of it to resonate.

That's what I meant.
allthatjazz wrote:It is very difficult these days to find an honest critical review as opposed to PR puff pieces.

But reviews are by nature subjective so honesty id all bollocks isn't it?
allthatjazz wrote:Getintothis had to deal with a bunch of garbage for publishing this review in their hometown. I hope they will always report the truth regardless of push back.

So do I, don't you think nme jounos have always had flack? Well they did before they stopped being able to publish glowing reviews every time noel gallagher farted, ut you know if you're going to publish things online you've gpot to expect that.

Chezza.

That's got to be a first FC, a review of a review of a review. Class. :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 am

Got a lovely bunny-eared James Dean shirt though, and a lovely Bunnymen plastic bag to put it in. Started on my walking regime once again, the girl at the merch stall reckoned the Medium would do, although I'd asked for a Large (I think she was just being kind :biggrin: ) anyway, that's my summer wardrobe sorted, t-shirt if it's dry, plastic bag over the head if it rains.
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Thu May 31, 2018 11:46 am

That's got to be a first FC, a review of a review of a review. Class. :wink:

It's all I've got...as tears hit two tix for tomorrow night's show....They're being reissued to my friend in Manchester. But it's heartbreaking that time would not permit travel time. So there's little else to do...Which concert did you get to Voodoo?
allthatjazz

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 pm

allthatjazz wrote:That's got to be a first FC, a review of a review of a review. Class. :wink:

It's all I've got...as tears hit two tix for tomorrow night's show....They're being reissued to my friend in Manchester. But it's heartbreaking that time would not permit travel time. So there's little else to do...Which concert did you get to Voodoo?

Liverpool, might be tempted to go to one of the October shows but there's a few other bands playing then and I'd like to see maybe one or two of those. Hopefully there'll be a Christmas gig in Liverpool?
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby MightyWhyte » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 am

I'm too knackered and at risk of repeating some excellent write ups by you chaps already. For what their worth these are my scores based on the usual factors of venue seating audience and artist. I've deducted 1 point already due to Billy's absence,

Liverpool 6/10 Brum 8/10 Manc 7/10 Gates 8/10 but we were front row, the band were great the audience shite. Did 2 with my 7yr old Daughter 3 with my 18yr old Son and all 4 with the wife.

I still prefer being on the barrier in some sticky floor venue but I've had a blast this week :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
BunnyGod Pin needed :sad:
MightyWhyte

Postby allthatjazz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Interesting, reviews continue to be all over the place...I think you don't do a tour if your album release is postponed.People don't know what to expect. First, they promised an orchestra and a string quartet does not an orchestra make. Second, if your songs aren't quite right then why would you go out and perform them until they are. And, what does it mean now that Seven Seas went back to its original version and Stars are Stars was wiped out of the line-up? They also got a lot of bad feedback on the transformed [their word] version of Angels & Devils. Actually, the only transformed song people seemed to enjoy was The Killing Moon. Sounds as though they have a lot more work to do than putting some finishing touches on the album before its October release. It's like trying to put an album together with some trial runs...or by committee.
allthatjazz

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen