New Album!!!

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: New Album!!!

Postby TenNewPence » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 am

Mr. Brian wrote:Sounds interesting. I’m looking forward to this. There was a b side around the Flowers period which was a redone version of A Promise subtitled “lo-fi lullabye #1” that I really liked.
They said there would be more, they promised.

Found this on Amazon "B Sides and Live 2001- 2005" a Cooking Vinyl MP3 with "A Promise Lo Fi Lullaby" and more
TenNewPence

Postby Stuart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 am

You can cancel your Pledge order.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Postby Happy Death Man » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 am

Nearly bought it yesterday then opted for Mick Head's 'Adios Senor Pussycat'. Mick doesn't rework old classics; he makes new ones.
Happy Death Man

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:18 am

In my experience it's very rare for reworked tracks to be better, or even as good, as the originals. Unless you live in Mac's head of course as I'm sure he'll declare these the best reworked tracks in the history of recorded music. :rolleyes:
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Happy Death Man » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am

Exactly. You listen to it once and generally think well that's ok but I'll stick with the original. Giving the bunnymen their due, the tracks from the first four albums are brilliant as they are. I wish they'd leave them alone and go and produce masterpiece no.5, although it is looking increasingly unlikely that that is ever going to happen. I lost hope after Siberia.
Happy Death Man

Postby fat cherry » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:45 pm

True Cheesey. But there's an EP of new stuff. Wonder he's rifling the reject list from 1990 that produced nothing lasts forever??
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:23 am

crystal89 wrote:Shouldn’t this “new” record be called...

My “Indulgent” Kingdom by Ian McCulloch.

The truth right there. This is gonna be a trash can fire of an album.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Mr.Sparkle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:35 am

So is there not a tracklist yet for this? I checked around online and found 15 tracks listed but no actual titles. Crazy that it's been 4 years since Meterorites came out, time is flying.
Mr.Sparkle

Postby fat cherry » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 am

Isnt there supposed to be an EP of new stuff? Also, has anyone pointed out that a certain oceany named album already had strings and things on it. Wonder if they're just using vocals from long ago? Brilliant this, enjoy a good moan. Still think this is the idea of some naive exec who thinks he's found the perfect band for the orchestra treatment blissfully unaware there's nothing that can't be fucked up. Its a bunnymen thing apparently. Proxy with strings. Brill. Broke my neck with a drum machine and half a chord. Even better. Its the world thats wrong. Now, where was I?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:19 am

Just seen thes brits winners list - they ought to get man of the moment stormzy in to do a bit of rapping. Or is that a bit populist (spice girks anyone). I reckon stormzy and mac would be besties in minutes.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am

I can't think of one example of a reworked song to be better than the original. The "A Promise" thing I cited was good but it was almost like a different song altogether vs adding strings or an updated sound. Bowie redid Fame as Fame 90 and it sucked. McCartney reworked some Beatles songs on Give My Regards to Broadstreet. Ugh. The Police did that with Don't Stand So Close to Me. Nope.
It seems like the main problem is that the over 40-year-old voice isn't like the 20 something voice that originally recorded it. Rock singers typically don't get better with age.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 am

Mr. Brian wrote: Rock singers typically don't get better with age.

Dave Vanian begs to differ
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am

fat cherry wrote:Proxy with strings.

There's only one reworking of Proxy that might work, doing it through the medium of mime. :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal89 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Right here’s the set, sorry I mean track list

Rescue
Villiers Terrace
All that jazz
Zimbo
Over the wall
The cutter
Never stop
Killing moon
Seven seas
My kingdom
Ocean rain
Dancing horses
Lips
Bedbugs
Nothing lasts
Rust?

On another note, does anyone know why Mac’s voice changed so much from the end of his solo career in 1992/3 to the start of Electrafixion in 1994, and then on to the Bunnymen reforming in 1997?
crystal89

Postby black francis » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:38 pm

crystal89 wrote:

On another note, does anyone know why Mac’s voice changed so much from the end of his solo career in 1992/3 to the start of Electrafixion in 1994, and then on to the Bunnymen reforming in 1997?

black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen