Uncharitable Review of Ocean Rain

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 pm

Seven Seas wrote:It is not very nice that he is portrayed this way.

To paraphrase Radiohead, he did it to himself.

If he didn't drink to excess and smoke to excess and do drugs to excess, nobody would be talking about his doing so. And every album released on Cooking Vinyl would've been better (and would have likely been released on a major label)
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 pm

as a newer fan, i am happy to see that back when OR came out that the fans then were criticizing it just like fans today are/were criticizing siberia...

cuz usually now OR or any of the first 4 albums are like the bible of the bunnymen... and all other new albums are compared to that. usually coming up short in the eyes of the die-hard fans :P

as for this:
b) They'd rechanneled all the energy they spent in the press whining about
how lousy other bands who sounded remotely like them were.

this seems to have always been a constant with Mac... maybe trash-talking everyone else is what gives him the energy he needs :lol:
blinkilite

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:39 pm

blinkilite wrote:as a newer fan, i am happy to see that back when OR came out that the fans then were criticizing it just like fans today are/were criticizing siberia...

The review appears to be a modern-day review of the 23 year old album
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:27 pm

I saw that "review" years ago.
moondance

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm

moondance wrote:I saw that "review" years ago.

I stand corrected, with regard to the age of the review
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Uncharitable Review of Ocean Rain

Postby violets » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:02 pm

black francis wrote:But the guy gives Bon Jovi a 9 out of 10.

That explains everything...
violets

Re: Uncharitable Review of Ocean Rain

Postby Red » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:19 pm

violets wrote:
black francis wrote:But the guy gives Bon Jovi a 9 out of 10.

That explains everything...

that's what i was thinking too!
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:21 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:
If he didn't drink to excess and smoke to excess and do drugs to excess, nobody would be talking about his doing so. And every album released on Cooking Vinyl would've been better

I listened to Evergreen followed by Siberia the other day and the degradation of Mac's vocals between the two is almost shocking! :(
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am

Dr Cheese wrote:I listened to Evergreen followed by Siberia the other day and the degradation of Mac's vocals between the two is almost shocking! :(

It's more than almost shocking
Ironically, it's Everything Kills You that highlights this the most.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 pm

The last time I heard Mac's voice in amazing form was his 2003 solo show. I was struck by the differences between Evergreen and Siberia as well. I wonder if he took things seriously and took steps to protect his voice how much he could get back. After David Gahan's drug problems he had to do vocal training and it was immediately apparent he was singing better on Ultra than on any previous DM album. Frank Black did the same to get his shriek back and he sounds better than ever in my opinion.

Just wish Mac would do the same. Charisma will only get you so far. Admittedly the most charisma I've ever seen.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby violets » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:49 am

black francis wrote:The last time I heard Mac's voice in amazing form was his 2003 solo show. I was struck by the differences between Evergreen and Siberia as well. I wonder if he took things seriously and took steps to protect his voice how much he could get back.
Just wish Mac would do the same.

Vocal training is needed by anyone who has used their vocal chords alot. He sings with so much passion and heart you can tell he loves the songs he sings, even the covers.
violets

Postby snowbunny » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:00 pm

The cracking and hoarseness adds emotion to some songs, but after awhile it's painful to listen to. Makes me want to gargle with salt water!
snowbunny

Postby Mr. Brian » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 pm

His voice is who he is. You'd think he'd want to protect it. Hopefully the rumor of him quitting the ciggies is true.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave Smith » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:16 am

Firstly-fairplay for posting the review on a forum.That would be 365 day ban on the 'darkside'.The review stinks for me in that obviously the guy hates Mac fullstop.But...OR is one of the greatest albums ever made.To kick against the grain in the UK with an orchestrated acoustic album in 84 was both brave and highly original.I think Mac is the greatest frontman ever but wouldnt necessarily want him as my best mate-I wouldnt keep up with the drink and drugs!But these days you have to try and separate Mac the unshaven bugleman from what he can still create as a musician.I definately think that his low-energy live performances of late must be related to the long term consequences of his lifestyle.But I'm no Doctor.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:43 am

Given that Mac's voice (and to a certain extent his onstage persona) is his bread and butter you'd think he'd be a bit more aware of having to protect it, or is he so arrogant he thinks he can do what the hell he likes to his body and vocal chords without it affecting him?
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen