Uncharitable Review of Ocean Rain

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby JackT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:59 am

Dr Cheese wrote:Given that Mac's voice (and to a certain extent his onstage persona) is his bread and butter you'd think he'd be a bit more aware of having to protect it, or is he so arrogant he thinks he can do what the hell he likes to his body and vocal chords without it affecting him?

He strikes me as a proud person. It's easy to fool yourself rather than admit something is wrong, especially, when like you said, it is so integral to your image.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:51 pm

So does anyone really know, how bad are the drink and drugs? I mean, it's pretty clear he drinks a lot but it seems like he always has... There are mentions of drugs in some of the books but I didn't have the impression it was to excess...
snowbunny

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:16 pm

I think the truth is somewhere in between the carefully crafted public persona and what's been written in the so-called biographies. And it's something I don't think any of us will ever find out, regardless of the autobiography he's reportedly writing.

To be honest, I don't think I really want to know the actual truth.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:To be honest, I don't think I really want to know the actual truth.

Good point.
snowbunny

Postby black francis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:12 pm

I kinda saw the actual truth and it was top five one of the worst experiences of my life. Could be number one.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby snowbunny » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:57 pm

snowbunny

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:59 am

black francis wrote:I kinda saw the actual truth and it was top five one of the worst experiences of my life. Could be number one.

Come on then, let's have the sordid details! :twisted:
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:28 am

Dr Cheese wrote:
black francis wrote:I kinda saw the actual truth and it was top five one of the worst experiences of my life. Could be number one.

Come on then, let's have the sordid details! :twisted:

It was the Dec 6. 2005 Show at the Hollywood House of Blues. A few of us met up with some friend's of Mac and they took us to the after show party in a private room on top of the Red Rock? bar? I forget the name and I was so excited cause I was gonna meet Mac and it was a cool place with a further private room. The people who led us to the party saw the door was shut and pointed out Mac's coke dealer and said something along the lines of "we won't be seeing Mac tonight". The night had been so much fun, I met some real cool people and thought I would meet Mac finally and realizing he was in some room doing coke a few feet away was crushing. I felt sick to my stomach and let it depress me far longer than usual. Since then my romantic notion of the Bunnymen was killed, I pulled off the Bunnymen sticker I had on both cars and replaced them with Exploding Hearts.

So there is my silly little fanboy sob story. Since then I've heard other stories from fans when someone asked the band where's Mac and they answered "in his room doing drugs".

You'd think he'd had more respect for himself and more importantly his daughters. They're at the age they know what is going on.

I hate to be judgemental and I never meant to be so, but that night has changed things for me regarding the Bunnymen.

Sorry to be such a downer.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:08 pm

At least we know why he has to keep the Bunnymen going. :roll:
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby snowbunny » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Maybe also explains why he and Will don't appear to associate much... Will seems like a really straight-ahead guy.
snowbunny

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:07 am

Will's the coolest. The amount of genuine admiration and respect for Sarge amongst all the people I know in the music business is overwhelming.
The other night I saw a brilliant young Dutch band (members age 23) who are fabulous dedicate a song to him out of the blue, didnt even know they liked Echo!
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby black francis » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Will is a super cool fucker and it's my understanding from a friend who used to hag with the band, it was Mac's drug use that is the cause of pretty much 90% of their friction. She had them both sign something and Mac signed over Will's name. She said they were both in the sme room for hours before a show and they stayed on opposite ends not once interracting.

But I ain't one for gossip.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:16 pm

black francis wrote:Will is a super cool fucker and it's my understanding from a friend who used to hag with the band, it was Mac's drug use that is the cause of pretty much 90% of their friction. She had them both sign something and Mac signed over Will's name. She said they were both in the sme room for hours before a show and they stayed on opposite ends not once interracting.

But I ain't one for gossip.

I am.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby ballywho? » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:32 pm

God - I'm quite shocked, I knew he liked to drink but thought that was it - naive of me probably.
I do remember one show though when they came back onto do the encore and he sang completely out of tune (after a great show) and I though to myself then that he'd taken something whilst being off stage!
S'pose we just don't like to think about these things - shatters the iconic image some of us have of him. But its the way of the world now and thats the world he lives in!
Although at his age he should know better!!!!

I hate drug dealers - they are the scum of the earth and I can't comprehend how people are so stupid to give them money and power...sorry, rant over![/i]
ballywho?

Postby black francis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 pm

I think most everybody had an idea he was taking drugs. Plus it seemed like every other song and the entire WAYGTDWYL album were apologies to his wife. But realizing I was about 15 feet away from Mac doing coke and about 3 feet from his drug dealer. Well people who know me in L.A. know what it did to me.

As if Mac even cared but I took the Bunnymen sticker off my truck and replaced with the Exploding Hearts and my plans for a Killing Moon tattoo have gone on hiatus indefinitely.

Hey Frank Black, if you're reading this don't you ever let me catch you pulling a stunt like this.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen