A nice little interview With Mac

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

A nice little interview With Mac

Postby King Of Kings » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 am

King Of Kings

Postby Red » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:00 am

IM: The cat I mean, not the turd! Image

Last edited by Red on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am

Mac said: Our stuff conjures up a haunting, spooky thing.

it sure does! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, couldn't help it! :lol:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 am

IM: Yeah, Warners are remastering the first 5 albums through Rhino - who incidentally have done a fantastic job - and repackaging them. There won't be any extra tracks though. I hate it when they do that. I hate the Bowie albums they've done where they've put out-takes on. But what there WILL be is a load of photos, lyricsa on the sleeve for the first time, and anecdotes from me and Will.

guess that didn't happen as planned, either! why is it that record companies never do what the band wants?? :roll:

i hate it when i buy a remaster and it's got all these extra tracks on it. i like the album to be finished when it's over......not continue playing different versions of the same songs! :cry:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Thin White Devil » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:03 am

i hate it when i buy a remaster and it's got all these extra tracks on it. i like the album to be finished when it's over......not continue playing different versions of the same songs!

I know what you mean, but I do like it when it's all different tracks. Like with the Stranglers' backcatalogue, there's lots of great stuff to be found there.

David Bowie's albums got a re-release in the 90's, all with bonus tracks, and some were awesome. Diamond Dogs especially - even though the Chant Of The Ever Circling Skeletal Family is a perfect way to end the album, the two bonus tracks kick in quietly and actually manage to add themselves to the record. For me, DD wouldn't be complete without Dodo and that original entirely different Candidate.
But then there's also things like Station To Station: already a short album, and then what's extra is two of the six songs in live version. It even often makes me feel less like putting on the album.

I also got massively into Jethro Tull some years ago and proceeded to get all of their remastered albums. Many have really, really great bonus tracks. Most are as good as any of the songs of the original album. But then they also did the worst thing possible: on Aqualung - that's right, Aqualung - one of the bonus tracks is a 15 minute long interview with Ian Anderson! So every time I listen to that album I have to skip that egotrip (it's not even the last song on the album). They did the same with Thick As A Brick (bonus tracks are a live version and another interview), but my girlfriend luckily got me a copy of the original CD release via eBay for my birthday.

There's some albums out there which have such a perfect flow that they really shouldn't be messed with. Several years ago, they announced some re-releases for David Sylvian's albums. I briefly got to talk to the man himself about it, and I told him that I wondered how he felt about the astonishing Gone To Earth being split over two discs with some different songs (including remixes) within the normal order of songs. He told me that the Gone To Earth remaster was the only one he felt was a little bit dodgy. (I completely agreed... but of course I did get myself that re-release anyway in addition to the normal album, for the new songs!)
Set sail in those turquoise days!
Thin White Devil

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:20 am

"All I used to do with Will was say "This is what I've got. Now paint your bit on it" and that's how it's always been pretty much. I think it was Les who came up with that riff for "The Killing Moon" but even that was written the same way really."

Looks like Mac's long term memory loss hasn't improved much!
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Red wrote:Mac said: Our stuff conjures up a haunting, spooky thing.

it sure does! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, couldn't help it! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen