Second Guessing The Production

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby black francis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:48 pm

industri wrote:On the "Avalanche" front (since you mentioned it)... and seeing as people have commented on it's production... are the versions of "classic" songs on there just the same old tracks, or are they new versions?

I ask because it's one of those things I've never snagged a copy of, and have wondered how much I should value it (ie: is it 2 new songs and 4 re-releases, or 2 new songs and 4 re-recordings)?

Just curious...[/img]

They are classic Bunnymen songs re-recorded by the post 97 line-up. I think they said they were the songs the fans wanted re-done. There are two covers as well.

The track listing is

1. Hang On To a Dream
2. Avalanche
3. All My Colours (Zimbo)
4. Silver
5. Angels and Devils
6. It's All Over Now (Baby Blue)
7. Baseball Bill
8. Baseball Bill (Sgt. Fuzz Remix)

The production on all the tracks except Avalanche is fine but the new versions are kinda lifeless. Avalanche is a really good rocker and one of my favorite Bunnymen songs.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby industri » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:54 pm

I've heard Avalanche, but wasn't sure if it was just a re-release of old stuff to pad out a single.

Thanks - will add that to my "shop for" list... [smirk].
industri

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 am

The original version of Avalanche in 2000 did not have the Baseball Bill remixes and was on the now defunct GimmeMusic internet label. It came in a jewel case

The re-release in 2003 was on the Porcupine label and was released because the original Avalanche release in 2000 was such a debacle (not the bands fault, the "label" just didn't live up to promises) and hardly any copies were released. It came in a cardboard sleeve type case.

I've seen the original go for over $100 on Ebay since it is more rare but the re-release included those rare Electrafixion tracks that were only released on vinyl previously.

I kind of always liked the more guitar version of Silver. I wish they had done something else besides Zimbo since that is such a Pete song IMO.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:54 am

Mr. Brian wrote:The original version of Avalanche in 2000 did not have the Baseball Bill remixes and was on the now defunct GimmeMusic internet label. It came in a jewel case

I've seen the original go for over $100 on Ebay since it is more rare but the re-release included those rare Electrafixion tracks that were only released on vinyl previously.

I kind of always liked the more guitar version of Silver. I wish they had done something else besides Zimbo since that is such a Pete song IMO.

not sure I've seen anything on ebay for over a fiver - apart from Les's gold disc but even that went for a song (geddit, ho ho) really. Not sure if they're still doing it but they were flogging the avalanche release (baseball bill versions) at shows not too long ago.

I'd agree, re the problem with zimbo. And all those just seemed too understated if you ask me. On the other hand the treatment worked perfectly for 'hang onto a dream' which I though was the outstanding track on that cd.

chez.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Second Guessing The Production

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 am

withahip wrote:"Nothing Lasts Forever" has some great backing vocals (by Mac) that would have given the song even more flavor. .

I really HATED the la la la's and the yeah yeah yeahs on that by - who was it, the Oasis guy? other than that, i loved the track, but i think he ruined it!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 am

Fish Hook Girl wrote:. But I always liked Honeydrip. Hee Hee Hee.

I liked that one too!

I think I've only played Slideling ...once................ :eek:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Red wrote:I liked that one too!

I think I've only played Slideling ...once................ :eek:

The Slideling tracks (especially Playgrounds and City Parks) live were pretty amazing. Only so so on Slideling though.

Mac was dripping charisma that night. I think some of it stained my shirt. Showing off vocally, dancing and playing guitar.

Closest thing to a religious experience for me.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby redgumball » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:12 pm

New versions as I understand it.
redgumball

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 pm

black francis wrote:They are classic Bunnymen songs re-recorded by the post 97 line-up. I think they said they were the songs the fans wanted re-done. There are two covers as well.

The track listing is

1. Hang On To a Dream
2. Avalanche
3. All My Colours (Zimbo)
4. Silver
5. Angels and Devils
6. It's All Over Now (Baby Blue)
7. Baseball Bill
8. Baseball Bill (Sgt. Fuzz Remix)

The production on all the tracks except Avalanche is fine but the new versions are kinda lifeless. Avalanche is a really good rocker and one of my favorite Bunnymen songs.

The original (first) release didn't have tracks 5-8. Hang On To A Dream was hauntingly beautiful. The others sounded like they were recorded in someone's basement -- very little production value. And Ian's voice was very nasal and high pitched. Not my favorite. But I did like the arrangement on Angels and Devils.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:The original (first) release didn't have tracks 5-8. .

:question: i have one in my hands right now and it does have 5.) Angels and Devils and 6.) It's All Over Now on it! it was only the baseball bill stuff that wasn't on it.

(got mine from gimmemusic.co.uk when it first came out, with no problem)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Red wrote::question: i have one in my hands right now and it does have 5.) Angels and Devils and 6.) It's All Over Now on it! it was only the baseball bill stuff that wasn't on it.

(got mine from gimmemusic.co.uk when it first came out, with no problem)

You're right. No Baseball Bill, otherwise everything else. Please pardon that senior moment!

I too got it from gimmemusic.co.uk with no problems.
Fish Hook Girl

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen