Les Talking On Over The Wall

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Les Talking On Over The Wall

Postby withahip » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Does anyone have a link to the article where Les states he told a story on the track?

And no grief for going back over there.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:42 pm

hey....nothing wrong with going over the wall! :wink:

do you remember which article it was? i dunno if i have the link any more. i don't remember him quoting any specific lyrics tho....maybe Peter will know.
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:21 pm

Nice on, Red.

Unless I am creating this, I swear in the last six months there was an interview posted with Les from a magazine. Actually, I am certain there was.

I remember being quite impressed by his details of how during HUH, He and Pete would create a backing and Will and Ian would go over it during a jam and some of the songs were worked out that way.

Les said he would play the same bass notes but had certain cycles he went through so hitting EE A B (I am making up the notes for an example to help people remember the article) and the second time around E A BB.

He also stated he would tell stories a lot and someone (Drummond?) said tell a story. To be honest, I think that's where the calls for "Tell us a story?" used to come from during the tours during the 80s.

I googled Les' name, but nothing. Searched the official forum a bit but nothing.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:21 pm

moondance

Postby withahip » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks. Actually THANKS!

I love that interview.

Ugh, typical me, I misread tomo's original post - thought it said what is Ian saying? And didn't read the replies that pretty much answered prior to what I did .

See this internet, this complex set of tubes. . I should really spend more than 3 seconds reading posts before replying.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 pm

BTW unclehip, there are links to other articles on EATB by Incendiary Magazine if you look at either the bottom or the side of the page. I love the format of that online magazine.
moondance

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 pm

That pic in the first article is just amazing to me. I always liked those silhouette shots

Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tomo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 pm

cheers for the links moonie... sort of sheds some more light on my question...
tomo

Postby Red » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:48 pm

admin wrote:That pic in the first article is just amazing to me. I always liked those silhouette shots

This is one of my FAVOURITE bunny photos EVER!!!

:hurray:
pfft!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:24 am

What is the "better live" version?
On Crocodiles or Me, I'm All Smiles or Never Stop: Live in Liverpool.

I LOVE the version on Never Stop: Live in Liverpool. Hearing the swirly winds intertwined with the music is just plain atmospheric.
Seven Seas

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:48 pm

[o]thanks for all the kind words.[/o]
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby moondance » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Lancashire Fusileer wrote:[o]thanks for all the kind words.[/o]

You're welcome. Glad to see ya over here now too LF.
moondance

Postby moses (2) » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 am

moondance wrote:'Ere ya go mate. From the excellent Incendiary Magazine.

http://www.incendiarymag.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=887

http://www.incendiarymag.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=888

I love interviews where they speak about the song writing process and also how albums were recorded

it always facinates me -- it is a talent to write a superb song but even better to record it properly

Les is so right when he says

"wanted to get that element of mystery and suggestion, which I think is the biggest thing about music; that makes it good, it suggests stuff that isn’t there. And when you put something on it that you think you hear, it sounds shit, y’know, it fills it out too much. You’ve got to have mystery, and gaps and holes through songs. "

Thats what I love about great music -the element of mystery -- when I hear things in the song that are my imagination where I add something I think is in the song

Les is definnflty miising from the bunnymen -- i was lisitneing to Sieria last night and thinking those bass lines are almost there but not quite -- it really stands out on the song Stormy Weather at the start -- the begining is very weak but by the second verse it has managed to get powerful .. if only the start of the song was a lone bass line with mac singing then that song would be perfect -- the sond verse could layer with the keyobrad
moses (2)

Postby rusty » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 am

moses (2) wrote:
...Les is missing... listening to Siberia ...and thinking those bass lines are almost there but not quite -- it really stands out on...Stormy Weather ... if only the start of the song was a lone bass line with mac singing then that song would be perfect

I like Siberia but agree that Stormy Weather could have been better with Les on bass. I like Ste and think he does a fine job but he's not Les. I don't think anyone play that bass rhythm like Les.
Last edited by rusty on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rusty

Postby blinkilite » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:15 am

rusty wrote:I like Siberia but agree that Stormy Weather could have been better with Les on bass. I like Ste and think he does a fine job but he's not Les. I don't think anyone play that bass rhythum like Les.

Ste's a great guy... and i think he does a great job live... i think someone else pointed out, the siberia tour had the best lineup (live) since the early days... they work well together. Ste didn't record on the siberia album though, he joined the band right at the beginning of the siberia tour (summer 05).

but you are right, he isn't les :razz:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen