Guardian interview with Ian

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby black francis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Check out the Weeping Willows with Ian McCulloch video on YouTube doing The Killing Moon. He's hitting some high notes (and sustaining the effort) to the point I'm afraid he's going to give himself a hernia. Maybe he has taken actions to "rescue" the voice.

I kinda like that version. Mac's vocals were a little smoother than the last show I saw him at. Plus the Weeping Willows played it like it should be. With a little bit of aggression.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:59 pm

black francis wrote:I kinda like that version. Mac's vocals were a little smoother than the last show I saw him at. Plus the Weeping Willows played it like it should be. With a little bit of aggression.

Yeah that was pretty good! But i did notice Ian giving the old lowering hand motion to take it down a notch when he came in singing at one point.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Makes you wonder how Nocturnal Me and Thorn of Crowns will be performed at the RAH in September. Lo-fi or with a bit of aggression? Neither song can be performed quietly otherwise they will be shit.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Jikan Myshkin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:55 pm

JackT wrote:What is the matter with you.

vocals on songs like a promise smack of a 15 year old standing infornt of the mirror complaining about his acne. i know a lot of people on here are, lets say, remebering that ocean rain came out when they were young and hold his voice in awe but from an objective perspective i prefer a singer who can actually sing as opposed to half melodically shout and whimper
A kite is a contract of glory
that must be made with the sun,
so you make friends with the field
the river and the wind,
then you pray the whole cold night before,
under the travelling cordless moon,
to make you worthy and lyric and pure.
Jikan Myshkin

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Jikan Myshkin wrote:vocals on songs like a promise smack of a 15 year old standing infornt of the mirror complaining about his acne. i know a lot of people on here are, lets say, remebering that ocean rain came out when they were young and hold his voice in awe but from an objective perspective i prefer a singer who can actually sing as opposed to half melodically shout and whimper

We're talking about Ian McCulloch, right?
The last time I heard the guy sing with any sort of range or intensity, it was on What Are You Going To Eat The Other Half Of That Sandwich?

He's tried... and mostly failed... since.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:Check out the Weeping Willows with Ian McCulloch video on YouTube doing The Killing Moon. He's hitting some high notes (and sustaining the effort) to the point I'm afraid he's going to give himself a hernia. Maybe he has taken actions to "rescue" the voice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skE-17q8aE[/youtube]
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:59 pm

that vs. this?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkBkTcNveAU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkBkTcNveAU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

No contest.
You CANNOT say his voice is better now...
Forget range... listen to the CLARITY.

Yes, I know, one is an audience recording, but we've all heard him and seen him in the past few years. The audience recording captured his voice for what it now is - weak, strained, craggy.

He's got 8 months to fix it.

I, for one, ain't holding my breath.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 am

You can't imagine a performance like this come September.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GR4Hw7UCE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEThL6WcgF4&feature=related[/youtube]
guitarplayer on here too

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:
Yes, I know, one is an audience recording, ...

Not really an issue, IMO. Listen to the live My Kingdom/Ocean Rain tracks on the Ocean Rain Reissue. His vocals are great.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby keldan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:27 am

Jikan Myshkin wrote:vocals on songs like a promise smack of a 15 year old standing infornt of the mirror complaining about his acne. i know a lot of people on here are, lets say, remebering that ocean rain came out when they were young and hold his voice in awe but from an objective perspective i prefer a singer who can actually sing as opposed to half melodically shout and whimper

A Promise, imo is one of the best bunnymen songs written and sung with a lot of emotion and feelings
WE WON IT 5 TIMES
keldan
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:38 am

keldan wrote:A Promise, imo is one of the best bunnymen songs written and sung with a lot of emotion and feelings

Yep.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am

Just a thought but does anyone else get a huge picture of a cigarette ashtray when this page loads up or am I getting subliminal messages coming through this website about my smoking habit?
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:47 am

guitarplayer on here too wrote:Just a thought but does anyone else get a huge picture of a cigarette ashtray when this page loads up or am I getting subliminal messages coming through this website about my smoking habit?

It's because Frank decided to use an offsite gigantic pic as an avatar, http://www.smokefreewarwickshire.org/ashtray%201.jpg

Someone else did that too before and I added a plugin that will resize it down for display but sometimes it will briefly show original size before shrinking
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frank The Bunny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 am

admin wrote:It's because Frank decided to use an offsite gigantic pic as an avatar, http://www.smokefreewarwickshire.org/ashtray%201.jpg

Someone else did that too before and I added a plugin that will resize it down for display but sometimes it will briefly show original size before shrinking

It's true.
I'm the douchebag that's fucking up your browsing enjoyment with a reminder of Ian McCulloch's [s]favorite[/s] [s]second[/s] [s]third[/s] fourth favorite vice, and the primary reason for his vocal failure.

I didn't realize the filesize when I added it (I had been indulging in Mac's second and third favorite vices shortly before posting - giggity, giggity gig-gi-ty). I have since posted a smaller pic as my avatar.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:I didn't realize the filesize when I added it (I had been indulging in Mac's second and third favorite vices shortly before posting). I have since posted a smaller pic as my avatar.

Thanks. I was contemplating disabling linked avatars if it was going to be a problem.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen