rewriting history - the singles

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

rewriting history - the singles

Postby fat cherry » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:26 am

so... just for a friday afternoon, if you have the inclination, say you were in a position to influence the choice of singles throughout bunnyhistory, what would you change. Not necessarily your favourite songs, but what would you have thought the best singles. Or whatever. Or for the non album singles, would you pick a B side as the A? Obvously a lot to go on here thought the years....

For me, from Crocs I would say crocodiles & villiers terrace would be my choice, the two minute thrash followed up by the more mature nonesense of whatever thats about - but that brilliant pause in the middle, not to mention the intro DJs could talk over. fantastic. I like pictures on my wall but never rated rescue much myself.

Porcs - the two released are the most obvious singles there I think but heads will roll??

Ocean rain, KM in a league of its own I'd say, but always thought crystal days was a better single choice than silver or seven seas.

fast forward. Never understood why 'flowers wasn't released as a single. Better by far than either the other two.

'Get in the car' - only relaesed in sweden? Whys that then. Corking 'summer' song.

And on siberia, thought either parthenon drive or all because of you days would have made good singles.

erm, might review this but got things to do so I'll come back to this ..... one day,.

chez ((working at home.... and you know what that means).
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 pm

I've always been amazed by Silver not making a bigger splash than it did. You're right about Crystal Days, a very memorable melody.
Get In the Car was a great song, should have been a single.
Lately Of A Life has been giving me perpetual ear worm tickles.
moondance

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:39 pm

moondance wrote:I've always been amazed by Silver not making a bigger splash than it did. You're right about Crystal Days, a very memorable melody.
Get In the Car was a great song, should have been a single.
Lately Of A Life has been giving me perpetual ear worm tickles.

Of a Life was the best track on Siberia.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Crocodiles - Villier's Terrace (Early Version rocks harder than the album version) and Simple Stuff
Heaven Up Here - Show of Strength and No Dark Things
Porcupine - Have to do The Cutter and the Back of Love but would have liked to have seen Heads Will Roll and Clay
Ocean Rain - Killing Moon and My Kingdom
Echo & the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar (so they could make a buck or two) but I'd prefer Bomber's Bay and Ship of Fools
Evergreen - I'll Fly Tonight and Nothing Lasts Forever
WAYGTDWYL - Rust, Fools Like Us and History Chimes
Flowers - Ugh
Siberia - All Because of You Days and Of a Life, maybe In the Margins.

One of my favorite all time books is the Rough Guide to Rock with bios and album reviews. Five stars means the best in the artist's catalogue and a sixth star indicates the album will be liked by fans of any music genre. I always obsessed over that sixth star and I always thought if I was allowed to assemble a compilation for any band I could get them that sixth star. Thankfully I have something resembling a life now so I don't think about that too much.

I'd be curious what everyone here would put on a sixth star compilation for the Bunnymen.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm

black francis wrote:I always thought if I was allowed to assemble a compilation for any band I could get them that sixth star.

Trust me, you could not.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:06 pm

JackT wrote:Trust me, you could not.

Is this about Sebadoh?
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:09 pm

black francis wrote:Is this about Sebadoh?

Among others.
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Double Disc sixth star guaranteed of the top of my head. It'd be better if I wasn't trying to get out of here for lunch.

Going Up
Monkeys
All That Jazz
Villier's Terrace
Show of Strength
A Promise
No Dark Things
The Disease
The Back of Love
The Cutter
Heads Will Roll
Clay
My White Devil
Porcupine
The Killing Moon
Seven Seas
My Kingdom
Silver
Never Stop
Bring on the Dancing Horses
Lips Like Sugar
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:43 am

[quote="black francis"] Simple Stuff
Heaven Up Here - Show of Strength and No Dark Things
[/quote]

Good ones franky. I always thought Rollercoaster on the B side of whatever would have made a good single of its own. Heard an interview where they said the recorded it but never got it as good as the demo so thats why that version went on a b side. Long time ago though. Just realised, though I started it, this is just another of those list topics isn't it? Must be the premature dementia kicking in.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:51 am

see I never understood why bring on the dancing horses wasn't a HUGE mega hit. Last year sometime my mate asked me to burn him a CD for a party and gave me a list of songs (everyone calls them tracks these days dont they, I still prefer the songs thing though) and said I was allowed to put just one bunnymen song on as special payment. And being a good friend I thought I should stick to the request. So I picked BOTDH as probably the least offensive to untrained ears (maybe thats the problem) plus it fit in with alot of the eighties vibe thing he and his missus had picked. Anyway, zoom ahead to the party, swinging along and to be fair there was quite alot of dancing etc. (the etc is quite important I find) going on to their choices and then on comes you now what and the response is, whats this, oo lets find something else. LAsted about thirty seconds and then theres a mad rush to the CD player to find something else. If I had wanted that response I might have put the disease on or something, but therre you go. maybe it was just unfamiliar. Shows how much I know.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 am

I won't go over the pre-1997 stuff, but I always thought the single releases should have gone along the lines of and in this order. Not all the songs were personal favourites off the albums, but suitable for mass appeal.

Evergreen

Nothing Lasts Forever
I Want to Be There
Too Young To Kneel

WAYGTDWYL?
Get In the Car
Rust
Fools Like Us

Flowers
It's Alright
An Eternity Turns
Make Me Shine

Siberia
Of A Life
In The Margins
Stormy Weather
guitarplayer on here too

Postby black francis » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:17 am

fat cherry wrote:see I never understood why bring on the dancing horses wasn't a HUGE mega hit. Last year sometime my mate asked me to burn him a CD for a party and gave me a list of songs (everyone calls them tracks these days dont they, I still prefer the songs thing though) and said I was allowed to put just one bunnymen song on as special payment. And being a good friend I thought I should stick to the request. So I picked BOTDH as probably the least offensive to untrained ears (maybe thats the problem) plus it fit in with alot of the eighties vibe thing he and his missus had picked. Anyway, zoom ahead to the party, swinging along and to be fair there was quite alot of dancing etc. (the etc is quite important I find) going on to their choices and then on comes you now what and the response is, whats this, oo lets find something else. LAsted about thirty seconds and then theres a mad rush to the CD player to find something else. If I had wanted that response I might have put the disease on or something, but therre you go. maybe it was just unfamiliar. Shows how much I know.

Shoulda put on The Killing Moon so everyone could say "Hey it's the Donnie Darko song"

In my humble opinion there aren't many things worse than having a Bunnymen song rejected by the listener. That's a deal breaker.
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen