Wishlist for the Royal Albert

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Wishlist for the Royal Albert

Postby Dave Smith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:46 am

1)Les is persuaded to come out of retirement for one last pluck of the bass.What a way to go out.Can another bass player do the songs justice?Doubt it.

2)No material after 1984 is played in the other support set.Keep the songs to when they were the greatest band on the planet

3)Get Mike Mooney to play rhythm guitar

4)Get Jake Brockman back on keyboards

5)Being as the band have shifted 3500 tickets,can Mac now afford a change in clothes?
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Wishlist for the Royal Albert

Postby Frank The Bunny » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:44 am

Dave Smith wrote:3)Get Mike Mooney to play rhythm guitar

This won't happen. He borrowed one of Will's favorite guitars for Ian's solo tour. Gave it back with the neck cracked almost straight through at the body.

Also, do we want to chance him wearing those short shorts to Albert Hall again?
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:19 pm

I'll be straight-although the current merry band of sessions muso's are spot on for the faster tracks,I very much doubt that they have the dexterity to cope with some of Ocean Rain's moods and textures.Considering Pete played brushes on many tracks and Les acoustic bass,can you really imagine Ste/Gordy/new drummer in hat not doing anything but bludgeon their way through at maximum volume?They may be suited to 'Whatever you wa--a--ant,whatever you ne-e--e-d' but Nocturnal Me?Never.Plus I think Baltic Fleet guy may try and put too many silly noises over the top.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 pm

i agree with the change in wardrobe for mac. seriously... he needs to get rid of that hoodie thing. and shave that damn beard!!! :evil:

i quite like the current lineup, but you make a good point that they may not be able to do the textures/feel/atmosphere like the original lineup could... but then this is a new gig and has the potential to be magical... i don't want it to sound exactly like the album. i want it be something new and fun, and with an orchestra, i think it will be amazing.

i can't wait! :biggrin:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 pm

blinkilite wrote:
i quite like the current lineup, but you make a good point that they may not be able to do the textures/feel/atmosphere like the original lineup could...

This may not be breaking news but the fact is the original lineup is gone forever.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:12 pm

WHAT? When did that happen?
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Week last Tuesday, try to keep up for Gawd's sake.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:18 pm

I highly doubt they would get Les back for this show. The guy probably hasn't touched a bass since 1999. Maybe for one or two songs. Maybe.

The way I understand Les as a player is the same as Will. Neither one really touches a guitar outside of band rehearsals. I read an interview with either Will or Mac where it says that drove Mac crazy. I wish I could find that. It might be from the Guitar Player UK magazine interview with Will a while back.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave Smith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:36 pm

Sod it I'm not going.Standing tickets already up to £80-£90 each on ebay and I've got four of them turning up on Monday!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:32 pm

I know this is going to sound silly, but I'd like to just hear Ocean Rain and nothing else.
I just want them to put their hearts into this. Get Les back in there, do a month of rehearsals or whatever, just make it quality.
moondance

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:00 pm

moondance wrote:I know this is going to sound silly, but I'd like to just hear Ocean Rain and nothing else.
I just want them to put their hearts into this. Get Les back in there, do a month of rehearsals or whatever, just make it quality.

Really? You want to pay all that money and see a 40 minute show? I guess they could play longer versions of songs and with in between song banter stretch it out to a little over an hour, but if i had plane tix and hotel, food, drinks and show tix, that would get into $1000+ for the show easily.

I'd like to see them do a warm up set of something like (realistically) a mini best of thing (you know that's going to happen if they play anything else) and definitely end on the song Ocean Rain with no encore. If I were going of course... :cry:

Someone pointed it out before but I saw that Lou Reed "New York" tour where he played the whole New York album from start to finish and then came out and did a great set of VU and Reed songs. One of the best shows I ever saw.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby black francis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:53 pm

I never saw the Bunnymen tour for Evergreen but I read a few opinions on the other forum that some of Les' replacements were a little more compelling than he was on stage.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby withahip » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Would Mooney want to play when he has Lupine Howl?
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 am

withahip wrote:Would Mooney want to play when he has Lupine Howl?

right, he probably couldn't fit one night out and an afternoons rehearsals in between his one album every ten years main project.

Though I would vote for damon reece on the old drums. only one whose anywhere near pete in ability, compared to the THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP boys they have had.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:06 am

black francis wrote:I never saw the Bunnymen tour for Evergreen but I read a few opinions on the other forum that some of Les' replacements were a little more compelling than he was on stage.

oh yeah? where from? come on then if you think youre hard enough!!! Anyway none of them have had a half decent haircut. And thats whats lacking these days, will's still flying the flag, or fringe perhaps, should he ever need a combover its there but even mac's barnets a bit dodgy ( and that coupled with his 'can i tarmac your drive' sense of dress). As for the boys in the band? terrible.

C
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen