Albert Hall..... Sold Out !!!

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:34 pm

withahip wrote:imho - I think the greatest EATB song in the last ten years and one of the best of their career is "Empire State HAlo." Mac's range is not even an octave yet he sounds like he is soaring.

The guitar riff is memorable and chord chances grabbing.

Agree 100% with you on that. Shame it was never stuck as a regular on the setlist. Towards the end of the Evergreen album is some of the best Bunnymen stuff I have heard.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:47 pm

black francis wrote:That Borg smiley was my favorite till withahip pulled out the one whacking off.

This is better:

Fish Hook Girl

Postby moondance » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:50 pm

guitarplayer on here too wrote:Agree 100% with you on that. Shame it was never stuck as a regular on the setlist. Towards the end of the Evergreen album is some of the best Bunnymen stuff I have heard.

I totally agree with you about Evergreen.

Not putting on the rose colored glasses, but it really bothers me how much people slag Mac off. I've only seen the band twice but his vocal quality was excellent both times.

This is my opinion as an attendee at these two shows. I thought that the construction of the shows was perfect. As the concerts evolved, the excitement just excalated as the songs increased in drama. I did detest that the stage was extremely dark during the shows. My feelings about both shows was that Mac seemed ready to give, but idiots in the audience sort of robbed him and all of us of something. I don't know why they pick him to pull this shit with but it happened both shows, with people acting like idiots.

My opinion of Mac is that he is a very emotional person. I think that rules just about everything that he does from his songwriting to his live performances. Its part of what makes him a genius, that he can put into words the pain, alienation or despair that he feels. Its something that people can connect to because its real. Mac is not capable of being dishonest or putting on an act. He gives you his honest personality. He doesn't wear a mask and give the audience what it wants. If you're a fan of his, you accept it and take what he's giving at the moment. I think ultimately he's giving his heart and soul. He also feels the moment and can "shut down" when negative things happen. It might be due to something like aspergers syndrome or something similar. He just doesn't pick up the pieces very well but that's the price that you pay for somebody with the talents and sensibility that he has.

Finally, I am tired of hearing about "coke". Nobody knows what is in his heart or what he has been suffering from or recovering from. I sure don't. I just accept him as he is.

I appreciate everybody's opinions and contributions to the forum. I have been wanting to say this for a long time. It hurts my heart to hear him slagged off. If his music didn't touch me so personally I wouldn't even be here at all. I'm tired of people comparing him to the early years. I know those were brilliant years but I think that what they are giving is still brilliant, just different.
moondance

Postby withahip » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Fair enough Moondance & FHG. I hear ya.
Last edited by withahip on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby JackT » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 pm

When moondance yells at you, you know you have reached the end of the line.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby electrabunny » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks for your statements Moondance! I agree w/ you.

Look, they are getting older and you can't expect Ian's voice to sound the same as back in the day - ciggies or not. As far as the drugs go - everyone has their vices - and come on it's fuckin rock and roll - he still makes the shows doesn't he?
electrabunny

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 pm

If a person wants to post their opinion, or a criticism, then I'll defend your right to do so. The first amendment is very important to us weird Americans. However, bashing for the sake of being cute based solely on rumors, innuendo, or supposition can border on slander. It's that what I object to.

Back in 2001, right after 9/11, a lot of musicians were cancelling their touring plans. While the Bunnymen were scheduled to come through the states in November, I wondered if they'd cancel too. But they didn't. Even with Ground Zero still burning, here they were. Sure the pessismists will say that they were only fulfulling contractual obligations or they couldn't afford to cancel the tour, but for a few hours on a cold November night, it was a joy to see the band and hear the music and to be able to tune out the horrors of the real world.

It's mainly because of this, and some other stuff too, that I give them a pass.

And now, here's another fun smiley: Image
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Scouser » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 am

Mac's voice. Back in 81/82/83 Mac had the greatest voice of all his peers. The power of Bono but with a greater range and subtlety. The smoothness of a Sinatra mixed with the edginess of Bowie and the croon of Ferry. But with a post punk spikiness and the lyrics to complete the package.

Fast forward to Mac 2007 and its a husky croak. That's not just age. Bowie, Bono, Dave Gahan et al have aged. Their voices have changed (deeper, less agile) but are still impressive instruments. Compare that with Mac's voice. Smoking and drugs have taken their toll - you cant argue with that.

Liking the Bunnymen is like being a heroin addict. You are always chasing the first high. You keep going back time and time again in case you get the thrill. But often its a sub standard, cut with a cheap substitute and the after affects leave you feeling unfulfilled. You tell yourself its over. You've kicked the habit. But you see the gig announced and the stomach cramps and the shakes kick in. You need that live fix. Maybe it will be better this time, I'll score one last time. I am in control...
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Blackheathen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:35 am

Scouser wrote:Mac's voice. Back in 81/82/83 Mac had the greatest voice of all his peers. The power of Bono but with a greater range and subtlety. The smoothness of a Sinatra mixed with the edginess of Bowie and the croon of Ferry. But with a post punk spikiness and the lyrics to complete the package.

Fast forward to Mac 2007 and its a husky croak. That's not just age. Bowie, Bono, Dave Gahan et al have aged. Their voices have changed (deeper, less agile) but are still impressive instruments. Compare that with Mac's voice. Smoking and drugs have taken their toll - you cant argue with that.

Liking the Bunnymen is like being a heroin addict. You are always chasing the first high. You keep going back time and time again in case you get the thrill. But often its a sub standard, cut with a cheap substitute and the after affects leave you feeling unfulfilled. You tell yourself its over. You've kicked the habit. But you see the gig announced and the stomach cramps and the shakes kick in. You need that live fix. Maybe it will be better this time, I'll score one last time. I am in control...

An apt analogy.........unfortunately.
Blackheathen

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:44 am

electrabunny wrote:Thanks for your statements Moondance! I agree w/ you.

Look, they are getting older and you can't expect Ian's voice to sound the same as back in the day - ciggies or not.

No disrespect Electrabunny (nice devil outfit by the way), but that was one of the points I was making earlier about some people claiming that Mac's voice has become like that by age. His voice only went like that at about 34, so age clearly has no relevance whatsover as Scouser points out. Compare and constrast his singing voice between Mysterio and Burned and you'll see what I mean. There is only a two-year gap between those albums.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Seven Seas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:03 am

Are tickets supposed to be mailed or are we supposed to bring our credit cards/registration numbers to the venue the day of the gig (like Will Call ticket status here in the states, where you pick them up in the box office)?
Seven Seas

Postby Scouser » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:15 am

When DM met up to record Ultra it was clear that Gahans drug addiction had affected his voice to such an extent that it was going to compromise the band and the album. He was basically told to go away and get himself sorted out. DM continued to record the album and said they would go on without him if he didnt get clean.

Listen to Gahans voice on SOFAD and the Decotional Tour - starting to crack, lost alot of its depth.

Then he "died" and got clean. Listen to his vocals on Ultra and beyond. The best they have ever been (with the help of a vocal coach I must admit).

Drugs do effect your voice, smoking even more so. Its nothing to do with age - I saw Tony Bennett a few years back and his voice is still amazing. Mac had a great gift with that voice, but he abused it.

I know I am going to get a load of hysterical replies accusing me of not being a fan. But to me not being a fan is mutely standing by and not challenging him. Mac is a genius, a poet, a hero. But that doesnt mean he's not his own worst enemy as well.

The trend thats developing on this forum is that its unacceptable to do anything other than praise the Bunnymen to the hilt. Isnt that what the "other" forum is for? The sheep over there can spend all day eulogising the current set up. Thats fine. But can we let this forum be abit more in the real world?

Please...

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 am

As long as an argument or comment in posted with respect I can stand it. It's just the barrage of negativity that gets really hard to stomach and unneccessary pot shots. I agree with alot of what you've said Scouser. There are highs and lows with every band. There needs to be a bit more praise and reflection about their work than I see here now. Its very unbalanced sometimes and when it gets too heavy, it makes me sick.
moondance

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 am

moondance wrote: There needs to be a bit more praise and reflection about their work than I see here now. Its very unbalanced sometimes and when it gets too heavy, it makes me sick.

I reckon a lot of that imbalance is a direct result of many of the "official" forumites being so blinkered it obviously clouds their judgement when it comes to the band resulting in mass praise over there and everyone getting all high and mighty if someone dares to offer any critiscm. There has to be light and shade.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Have you seen the ammount of namedropping on the official site? Its hilarious...pre gig meet, Will dropped in (woooooo hoooooo), "Mac was telling me", the drummer said...

Its like being 12 again!

Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen