The Unofficial Official Liverpool Shows Thread

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby withahip » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:18 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I personally find it bewildering that they have so many great tracks that they just don't play, are they worried that if they change the setlist too much no one will want to see them or is it that they simply can't be arsed to rehearse different tunes and so just stick to the ones that they can play in their sleep?

Ever think Will can't remember how to play them or be bothered to relearn them?

See the book Never Stop - and find the photo where Will is listening to his walkman trying to relearn songs for the tour.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:39 pm

withahip wrote:Ever think Will can't remember how to play them or be bothered to relearn them?

See the book Never Stop - and find the photo where Will is listening to his walkman trying to relearn songs for the tour.

Hmmm, interesting premise. Thanks, wah!
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:03 pm

withahip wrote:Ever think Will can't remember how to play them or be bothered to relearn them?

That's not unusual remember watching a documentry about the REM Monster tour, Peter Buck said the 1st thing they do at rehearsals is to go out and buy all the album song books and listen to the cd's to relearn the songs. Thats from a band whose live tour reptoire consists of over 50 songs on each tour !!!!

The only reason I can see for the limited setlists is simply laziness....

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby moondance » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:31 pm

If they haven't played a song for years, I wouldn't be surprised. I can't remember yesterday myself.[/right]
moondance

Postby Karen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:58 pm

JackT wrote:People like you were left bemused? What kind of people is that, exactly? Miserable, elitist, douchebags? The chronically bemused?

Sorry for the late reply. Has anyone seen Grumpy old men? Well some were at the Bunnymen gig too.
I dont go out much, but when I do Im determined to enjoy myself. Nothing is ever perfect and the Bunnies were great as far as Im concerned. I had a wonderful time because I wanted to. I felt that the band enjoyed themselves too and Im sorry that some of you didnt. Life's too short to be moaning.
Karen

Postby Karen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:05 pm

Scouser wrote:People talk about near death experiences, life flashing in front of their eyes, making peace with God etc but its never actually happened to me...until Saturday night after the Bunnymen.

Me and Dave hailed a suicidal taxi driver. My guess he had taken cold and flu stuff with anti depressants (his wife had just left him he was telling me during my hellish ordeal) which I know is a massive interaction (you pick these things up being married to a pharmacist for 15 years).

He was erratic up until we dropped off Dave at his hotel, but after that it was an ordeal pure and simple. He made two stops to try and wake himself up. He was weaving all over the road as he kept nodding off and was hurtling towards a major crossroads when the lights were on red until I screamed "THE LIGHTS ARE ON RED!" and he slammed on, flattening me against the Perspex safety glass between me and him.

Even then I didn't heed the warning signs. I was abit drunk, it was freezing outside and there were no other taxis in sight. I thought - "how bad can it be? I'm only 10 mins from home..." I was about to find out just how bad.

From the traffic light incident to mine its a straight run down a dual carriageway that's pretty quiet that time of night. I kept talking to try and keep him awake (this is how I found out about his wife/ anti depressants / cold / Lemsip etc). After a while I thought "I'm safe to stop talking". Wrong.

Coming over the flyover by mine he fell asleep at the wheel again, I didn't spot it at first. Until we collided with the central reservation, careered across the road out of control and then hit the kerb on the other side and came to a halt. This has jarred the driver awake finally who was in a mad panic and apologising profusely and pleaded with me not to report him.

To be honest I was just feeling lucky to be alive, that junction in the day is really busy. We were very lucky it was deserted otherwise it may have been game over. But even then I didn't get out! It was only 5 mins to my local chippy, though it took him 10 mins as he drove at 20 mph the whole way. Bit late now!

I got out at the chippy. It was 45mins from leaving with Dave. Its a 20 min journey at best, even in heavy traffic.

It wasn't until I sobered up the next day that the full enormity hit me. My wife was going ballistic for not getting out at the first sign of trouble. But being drunk gives you a certain degree of bravado you don't normally feel!

Anyway, I reported him this morning. He's going to kill someone one day!

Thats really funny you bloody nutters. No wonder Dave didnt enjoy it.
Karen

Postby fat cherry » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 am

yeah, now I've read that again I can see a pattern emerging. you go to a concert, to watcha band being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, has no vision of the future and is allegedly on drugs and yet you do not leave despite there being several doors clearly marked exit, then you get into a taxi being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, with no vision and clearly on drugs and yet you do not get out when you have the opportunity? Do you see it scouse? Its a slippy slope you know.

And whle I'm here, what exactly IS a douchebag. answers on a postcard.

chez

ps its nice on the darkside isn't it?[/s]
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:42 am

fat cherry wrote:yeah, now I've read that again I can see a pattern emerging. you go to a concert, to watcha band being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, has no vision of the future and is allegedly on drugs and yet you do not leave despite there being several doors clearly marked exit, then you get into a taxi being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, with no vision and clearly on drugs and yet you do not get out when you have the opportunity? Do you see it scouse? Its a slippy slope you know.

chez

lol.

Karen -just because men moan doesnt mean we dont enjoy ourselves.You should know us by now!
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 am

fat cherry wrote:yeah, now I've read that again I can see a pattern emerging. you go to a concert, to watcha band being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, has no vision of the future and is allegedly on drugs and yet you do not leave despite there being several doors clearly marked exit, then you get into a taxi being driven by a miserable old bastard whose wifes left him, with no vision and clearly on drugs and yet you do not get out when you have the opportunity? Do you see it scouse? Its a slippy slope you know.

chez

Chezza - its taxi time again tonight (The Coral). Can lightening strike twice in the same place?

I can see it now - "are you the bastard who reported me to the council? They are gonna take me licence off me ya fat cunt. Ive lost me wife, me cab and me self respect and its all down to you yer miserable twat! Right - Im gonna give you a taxi ride yer never gonna forget..."

Oh God
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby withahip » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:59 am

chez

I rue the day I hang out with Mac and find him to be a charming fellow concerned about and working to end world hunger and bring about world peace in the shadows of the G-7 summits because he doesn't want the focus to be on hoim - but the issues!

Seriously, though, Fat Cherry thanks - I see how brutal that sounds coming from someone else- I would simply say . . .

Dear Mac and Will,

Like your music. Could you please change up the friggin setlist?

Sincerely,
WAH

Karen wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Has anyone seen Grumpy old men? Well some were at the Bunnymen gig too.
I dont go out much, but when I do Im determined to enjoy myself. Nothing is ever perfect and the Bunnies were great as far as Im concerned. I had a wonderful time because I wanted to. I felt that the band enjoyed themselves too and Im sorry that some of you didnt. Life's too short to be moaning.

Yes, Ignorance is bliss!!!!!!!

:wink:
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Scouser wrote:Chezza - its taxi time again tonight (The Coral). Can lightening strike twice in the same place?

I can see it now - "are you the bastard who reported me to the council? They are gonna take me licence off me ya fat cunt. Ive lost me wife, me cab and me self respect and its all down to you yer miserable twat! Right - Im gonna give you a taxi ride yer never gonna forget..."

Oh God

Hah.....its squeaky bum time Mr R.Remember those teen flick horror movies when someone gets in a car,the driver drives off and all the doors shut.You then see the drivers face and its a mass murderer with a squint......Dont want to worry you like but I'm safe tonight.Oh no I'm not ,I've got to go round to the Mother-in-laws.Makes Freddy Krueger look like Mary Poppins.
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen