The Unofficial Official Liverpool Shows Thread

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Parts of the gig were great no question but whereas in Dec 2005 I came away thinking I'd just witnessed something magnificent this was all just a bit ho-hum, far too short and lacking any real sense of occasion. Mac didn't even say "goodnight thanks for coming" he just buggered off at the end of Lips leaving most of the audience, myself included, waiting for Ocean Rain until the lights came up and everyone realised that that was it.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Scouser » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:25 pm

Your not a real fan if you think that.
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:30 pm

In that case it was the best gig I've ever seen, the setlist was perfect, Mac's vocals were better than they were 20 odd years ago, Will didn't look like a portly Jonathon Ross and I'm just going to eat some dirt that I've found.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby insanejane » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:52 pm

I think Scouser's right that bands should hang it up when they get old.

I wouldn't have expected too much if I'd been able to see the show because they ARE old and as far as their new songs sounding like their old ones, maybe they should stop doing that too since they have all those old, incomparable, great songs that they NEVER play anyway.

I really was just hoping to hear that Mac's voice was still pretty good.

I'd much rather pay a lot of $$ to fly there to see THEM at their worst than Led Zeppelin!
insanejane

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:56 pm

insanejane wrote:
I really was just hoping to hear that Mac's voice was still pretty good.

From what I could make out he sounded ok actually.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks for the videos and the reviews, pro and con. It sounds like the crowd enjoyed themselves for the most part. I was happy to read that Blinkilite is enjoying her first trip to Liverpool on the other forum. I'm really excited for her.
Killing Moon sounded great on the video clip, and so did the new song. The crowd participation makes it all the more exciting, I loved the sing-a-long. I felt a good spirit from the band coming through.
I guess I'm part of the "office" set.
Was that Paul playing along on keys???
moondance

Postby Scouser » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:29 am

People talk about near death experiences, life flashing in front of their eyes, making peace with God etc but its never actually happened to me...until Saturday night after the Bunnymen.

Me and Dave hailed a suicidal taxi driver. My guess he had taken cold and flu stuff with anti depressants (his wife had just left him he was telling me during my hellish ordeal) which I know is a massive interaction (you pick these things up being married to a pharmacist for 15 years).

He was erratic up until we dropped off Dave at his hotel, but after that it was an ordeal pure and simple. He made two stops to try and wake himself up. He was weaving all over the road as he kept nodding off and was hurtling towards a major crossroads when the lights were on red until I screamed "THE LIGHTS ARE ON RED!" and he slammed on, flattening me against the Perspex safety glass between me and him.

Even then I didn't heed the warning signs. I was abit drunk, it was freezing outside and there were no other taxis in sight. I thought - "how bad can it be? I'm only 10 mins from home..." I was about to find out just how bad.

From the traffic light incident to mine its a straight run down a dual carriageway that's pretty quiet that time of night. I kept talking to try and keep him awake (this is how I found out about his wife/ anti depressants / cold / Lemsip etc). After a while I thought "I'm safe to stop talking". Wrong.

Coming over the flyover by mine he fell asleep at the wheel again, I didn't spot it at first. Until we collided with the central reservation, careered across the road out of control and then hit the kerb on the other side and came to a halt. This has jarred the driver awake finally who was in a mad panic and apologising profusely and pleaded with me not to report him.

To be honest I was just feeling lucky to be alive, that junction in the day is really busy. We were very lucky it was deserted otherwise it may have been game over. But even then I didn't get out! It was only 5 mins to my local chippy, though it took him 10 mins as he drove at 20 mph the whole way. Bit late now!

I got out at the chippy. It was 45mins from leaving with Dave. Its a 20 min journey at best, even in heavy traffic.

It wasn't until I sobered up the next day that the full enormity hit me. My wife was going ballistic for not getting out at the first sign of trouble. But being drunk gives you a certain degree of bravado you don't normally feel!

Anyway, I reported him this morning. He's going to kill someone one day!
Mr. Brian, I find that offensive.

Scouser's inability to se others' point of view is rather grating.
Scouser
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:26 am

moondance wrote:Was that Paul playing along on keys???

Looked like it, MD.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tomo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am

last night we got going up, heads will roll, zimbo, villiers terrace (short sharp version).

no new songs tonight... which to me sounded like tracks missed off siberia, pleasant enough but nothing startlingly bunnymenesque!

got the back of love stopped about a minute in by mac for being too fast... then played again at about the same pace!

mac seemed edgy and reacted to the odd shout from the crowd between songs...

will looked like he really enjoyed playing tonight, and sounded great from where i stood

people are strange encore again, and then some prick screaming like a girl at the top of his voice just as ocean rain starts, forces mac to stop the song... unreal, why the hell would you pay money for a ticket then do that right at the point that a vast majority of the 1,000 or so people had probably like myself been looking forward to all night... like i said what a prick... anyway ocean rain was scrapped and replaced with lips like sugar....

highlight for me both nights all that jazz... think the new lad on drums nailed it and zimbo for that matter!

highlight last night mac telling everyone about goliath's son??

oh and for the fashionistas out there the long overcoat days look like they're back..
tomo

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:32 am

Scouser, very scary story. You're wife was right. You should have gotten out alot sooner.

Tomo, thanks for the report. What was that about goliath's son?
moondance

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 am

tomo wrote:last night we got going up, heads will roll, zimbo, villiers terrace (short sharp version).

:surprised: Wished they played that on Saturday.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 am

Did you go k?
moondance

Postby Kounelaki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:55 am

moondance wrote:Did you go k?

Just the Saturday. Thought the highlight was Crocodiles.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:50 pm

tomo wrote:[and then some prick screaming like a girl at the top of his voice just as ocean rain starts, forces mac to stop the song... unreal, why the hell would you pay money for a ticket then do that right at the point that a vast majority of the 1,000 or so people had probably like myself been looking forward to all night...

Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:45 pm

If you can put up with the sound here's more from Saturday night:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h67WgCjJrC4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h67WgCjJrC4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen